If Kurt Cobain wouldn't have killed himself..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pete Townshend was a musical genius. Ever listen to Tommy? How he wrote that is unbelievable. Plus all those classical composers

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
I think Linkin Park is awesome! I think it's awesome how they don't swear in any of their songs, even though they play with a lot of rage!

Thanx for support. I expected flames

Originally posted by soctheo:
I still remember when In Utero was released. It was by all means considered a bomb. It sold about 170 000 its first week and then dropped out of site. I was fifteen at the time in 1993 and all my friends were considering going to their maple leaf gardens show in toronto that november but we decided not to because they weren't quote on quote "cool anymore"

Ahem. This is more more of an indictment of fickle teen taste than a criticism of Nirvana. So a bunch of 15 year olds decided Nirvana weren't "cool" anymore. It's probably more of a compliment to Nirvana than anything else. I was in college at the time and most of my fellow students thought that In Utero was great.
Nirvana deliberately went about making a "difficult" record following the enormous success of Nevermind, much in the same way U2 followed Achtung Baby with Zooropa. In Utero, despite the fact that it was a "difficult" record ended up selling millions of copies worldwide and spawned several of Nirvana's greatest songs. Sounds pretty good to me.
Pearl Jam on the other hand released a straigtforward and hard rocking followup to the straighfoward and hard rocking Ten with Vs. There's nothing wrong with that but it certainly was an easier sell to 15 year olds, much in the same way ATYCLB is an easier sell than Zooropa or Pop.
Finally, anyone who equates the quality of an album with its sales is insane. Britney's latest album sold more in its first week of sales than Bob Dylans Love and Theft has sold in its entire chart run. One of these albums is great. (Hint for the 15 year olds out there: It isn't the one with "I'm a Slave 4U on it.)

MAP

p.s.- You had a chance to see Nirvana live and you passed on it because you thought Nirvana wasn't "cool" anymore? Don't you regret that now? You should have gone just for the experience.

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Page2000 (edited 12-10-2001).]

Waaaay up at the top of the forum in response to what scatteroflight said...

Given that you are on your way out, your genre of music is on its way out, would you rather live on for a few years and suffer a visible lack of success compared to your earlier years? Or would you rather die on a pile of money and drugs, with many beautiful women bowing at your feet? Even though Im not a person who would ever commit suicide, I think my answer would be die. I mean its not gonna be that good again, might as well go out on top instead of some forgotten star.

In Utero was fucking awesome. Rape Me, Milk It, Scentless Apprentice, etc etc.

I remember seeing Kurt interviews around the time before In Utero came out, he was talking about how he wanted to make a record that had the grittyness and sound of their 1989 Sub Pop record "Bleach".

Kurt always felt that Nevermind sounded too polished and produced, and in a way it did. So he get Steve Albini to work on In Utero with them.

I prefer In Utero over Nevermind. I don't even own Nevermind anymore.

People will always question wether or not Cobain was a genius, but you have to give him and Nirvana credit for what they did in the early 90's. They broke through the frontlines of the hair metal guard and destroyed it. Sure before them there was Soundgarden, already on a major label, Alice in Chains had a major label release, the non Seattle art rock alternative band Janes Addiction were selling records and gaining notoriety, even The Chilli Peppers were considered popular major label artists before 1991.

For some reason at the end of 91 all eyes focused on Nirvana.

I think the reason Seattle became this beacon of light was because of it's musical history. There was a Seattle scene brewing for years before Nirvana exploded. Hell, Kurt Cobain only wanted to sign with Sub Pop and release an album on that label because Soundgarden were on it.

I can't really say anymore. I only learned to really like Nirvana and respect what they and the other bands at the time did, long after I read and learned about the Seattle music scene.

The early 90's gave us great music. Maybe some day things will focus back on music and art.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
...would Courtney have become a "movie star"?

we have suffered a cruel fate. Courtney Love is absolutely pathetic, as a singer and actress...Why, Kurt, WHY???!!!

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

Back
Top Bottom