If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Check the news section.

The following article is an excerpt from the Telegraph about the many uses and ramifications of the popular proliferation of Apple's megaselling iPod device.

In this brave new digital world, the spectre of online piracy still casts a long shadow. Last Friday, U2 had their new CD - which they had just finished recording the weekend before - stolen during a photo shoot in the south of France. Only a handful of copies existed but guitarist Edge decided to play his personal CD on the studio stereo during a shoot for Blender magazine.

When they wandered out to take some locations pictures, Edge neglected to press "Eject". Apparently, the band were all posing in an empty swimming pool, 50 metres from the studio, when someone snatched the CD. French police were immediately called in to question a handful of suspects, including photographers, make-up artists, set builders and stylists (a whole new twist to the word "accessory").

"It all got very heavy very quickly," Edge told me. "It was such an opportunistic crime, it was probably just someone looking for a souvenir, but the potential financial damage is disastrous."

This might seem a lot of fuss for a missing CD. Ten years ago bands would glibly hand out advance copies of their albums to friends and co-workers. But in the era of peer-to-peer filesharing, U2 are coming to terms with the fact that two years of hard work on a project expected to generate tens of millions in revenue could be made available as a free download on the internet months in advance of its planned November release.

U2's lead singer Bono has proposed a radical solution. "If it is on the internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month," he told me. "It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention fucking up our holidays. But once it's out, it's out."

As we go to press, the album has not turned up on the net or anywhere else. Personally, I imagine there is a very nervous individual somewhere, wondering how a simple CD managed to stir up such a hornet's nest.

To read the entire article, visit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/mai...2.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/07/22/ixartright.html

Last edited:
I think they will push the release date forward, leak or not.

Why wait and react later when they can "preempt" it all? Especially since we heard the album IS done.

Last edited:
Either that or they are pulling one hell of a stunt.

Methinks the person who stole the album is not "internet savvy"

But as soon as a friend of that person gets a copy who is, it will probably be on the net REAL soon. Unless you believe the conspiracy theories.

That article also called it 'Vertigo'. I'm about 70% sure that it's the name of the album.

Maybe Adam or Larry took it because there not really happy with the album.:wink:

What if U2 is gonna do a tie in with ITunes and this is the 1st stage of the marketing strategy. Steve Jobs knows Bono and the Edge, plus Itunes is really getting popular. If Apple offered U2's new album before it hit the market before hard copies it would sell like crazy.

Last edited:
hmm.......it's just weird, isn't it?

the fact that the CD hasn't been leaked yet, if of course this whole story is actually true, leads me to believe that it won't be leaked on the net, since it's been missing for over a week now, and in this day and age, i can't imagine that if the person who stole the CD had intentions of leaking it, that he wouldn't have done it withing the first 24 hours.

in the end, i think the album will be released in November like the band had planned.

The wired article also seems to "confirm" the Vertigo album name as well. More media regurgitation?

This is getting kind of weird. At least we've heard from Bono about the leak, though. Two down, two to go. I still can't see how it would be advantageous for them. Talk about taking the thunder out of the release.

The most significant fact in this article though is the obvious: We may have the new U2 album IN A FREAKING WEEK!!!:drool: :eek: :hyper:

Last edited:
zoopop said:
What if U2 is gonna do a tie in with ITunes and this is the 1st stage of the marketing strategy. Steve Jobs knows Bono and the Edge, plus Itunes is really getting popular. If Apple offered U2's new album before it hit the market before hard copies it would sell like crazy.

:yes: Selling like crazy would make up for a fucked up holiday now wouldn't it.

:shifty:

Edge left the CD in the player so that they could go out and pose in another empty swimming pool?!

lol, what is it with all the empty swimming pools?

it does smell like a sophisticated marketing strategy, doesn't it?

And, a way to make as much money as possible off the album (many different formats, etc...)

As much as Bono is bitching though in the article how it is going to fuck everything up for them, I'm not so sure they aren't actually DYING to release the album asap!

Clever, clever, clever. Think about it. They are in a position, if this is all pre-planned, to release their album early and have everyone one talking about it. Instead of just a normal, "U2 are releasing a new album buzz" which would only reach so far. Now they are getting a great "u2 are being forced into releasing a new album buzz..." Instead of just the average person knowing, now everyone knows what has happened to U2 thanks to their 'mis hap.' Its not exposed to people who haven't even been looking to see if U2 were getting a new album. I'm sure their plan will soon be to release some songs, and say "God damn, guess what? We are going to have to release the album now!" being a new wave of artists to test the whole legal downloading scene by paying it on tunes, giving apple new costumes for fans who want it legally. And what they should say is, "You have to be careful and download this legally, because the French police are still after whoever released this and if you downloaded it you could be label a suspect." So after leasing the album as a pre-order style system, where if you order the hardcovered version of the album, you get to download it as much as you like kinda like what VH1 did with a few artists. From there they can release the single, created more buzz and anticipation until huge album sales.

you're forgetting one thing

The vast majority of people who would be interested in buying the new U2 album have not heard that the album was stolen. If I asked my 10 best friends if they knew about it, maybe 1 would say yes.

This was not pre-planned. The news hasn't reached very many people and just because you troll all day looking for new info (as did I today :wink: ) doesn't mean this is a campaign writ large.

I just want to say if they're talking about it in a po'dunk town called Bogart, GA., I think it's a story that's reached quite a few people really...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if the songs ironicly show up on the internet this week... then i'll still believe this was all pre-planed

As soon as I read the word IPOD I knew that the conspiracy theories have some merit.

U2dork said:
I just want to say if they're talking about it in a po'dunk town called Bogart, GA., I think it's a story that's reached quite a few people really...

When your 70 year old parents know about it, it's reached quite a few people.

more possible album titles:

All That You Can't Leave Behind but Edge can

How to Diffuse Edge's CD Player and Steal the damn CD

elfyx said:
I still can't see how it would be advantageous for them. Talk about taking the thunder out of the release.

I don't think this would take the thunder out at all, the thunder is already gone from how long we have been waiting. THIS truly would make the news, and be the best publicity stunt ever.

Can't you see the headlines, "New U2 CD Slated for November Released THREE months early due to Internet Leak"

Thats thunder. Yeah I am with Convoy on this. Very clever strategy. I am now going to be checking this site and all U2 outlets as well as P2Ps for the song(s). But I dont even know the song titles!

To the person who said theyre 10 best friends dont know about the theft, thats not the point. How do most people find out about new U2 music anyway? From their rabid U2 fanatical friends who play it for them and then they go Oh THATS GREAT I NEED TO BUY IT and then they go buy it. We (the fans) are a huge part of U2's marketing, I dont even know if they are aware of it.

I am slightly convinced we will here about songs popping up on the internet soon and then it will be on ITunes with the CD in stores a few weeks later.

Didnt someone say that Bono or Edge was frustrated with how the record company wanted to make them wait til November to release it. And can you REALLY see Bono and The Edge that concerned about record sales versus "making an entrance". This is quite an entrance for Vertigo to make if this is how it happens.

And am I wrong or has Elvis been silent on all of this? I KNOW HE KNOWS SOMETHING HE ALWAYS DOES and its killing me!

Oh and HELLO once again, just a reminder, I have unlimited FREE BANDWIDTH and plenty of webspace, if Anyone out there happens to be part of this marketing ploy and needs an accomplice, please let me know!!!!

Email: proflatino2@yahoo.com

or camilo@camilosworld.com

semi-defunct U2 page: http://www.u2la.com

AIM: camilo90039
Yahoo Msgr: pochorockero

so a demo version of the album gets leaked, so u2 puts their album immediately on itunes, everyone downloads it from there...then later in the month they release the hard copy cd with dvd bonus and everyone goes out to buy that too....

seems like u2 could stand to make a lot of money off this

now i think they want the theif to post it online so they can make the millions on itunes, and even more when it hits the shelves. i personally , along with 99 percent of this forum, would buy the songs on itunes and also buy the hard copy. sounds real fishy....looking like a planned conteraction, or just planned.

Chizip said:
so a demo version of the album gets leaked, so u2 puts their album immediately on itunes, everyone downloads it from there...then later in the month they release the hard copy cd with dvd bonus and everyone goes out to buy that too....

seems like u2 could stand to make a lot of money off this

that's the plan i'm sure

Last edited:
u2la, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. notice how excited i was in the very next sentence, lol.

anyway, it's all gooood! really the only thing in my mind is where would the new single fit in? they would be breaking with the traditional routine of releasing the single first, then the album, etc...

u2 are always fucking up the mainstream though! :wink:

mikal said:
hmm.......it's just weird, isn't it?

the fact that the CD hasn't been leaked yet, if of course this whole story is actually true, leads me to believe that it won't be leaked on the net, since it's been missing for over a week now, and in this day and age, i can't imagine that if the person who stole the CD had intentions of leaking it, that he wouldn't have done it withing the first 24 hours.

in the end, i think the album will be released in November like the band had planned.
I completly agree.

I think that we're going to all go f*#&$n' crazy in this forum until this album is finally released. Whether or not U2 release this album early or in November this is so far some of the best pre-album buzz I've heard in a while!!!

I have to admit though, that Convoy's theory makes sense to me, and that I've thought about the same kind of scenario too, but the iTunes thingy makes it more believable. Wow, this is fun and agonizing all at the same time.

if the release date will be pushed forward,
I still don't see it happening before end october/begin november

they will have a marketing campaign to try and get everyone and their pets to buy the album in the first couple of weeks after the release
and this includes a first single being released way before the album release

Back
Top Bottom