If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:20 AM
If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately

Check the news section.

The following article is an excerpt from the Telegraph about the many uses and ramifications of the popular proliferation of Apple's megaselling iPod device.

In this brave new digital world, the spectre of online piracy still casts a long shadow. Last Friday, U2 had their new CD - which they had just finished recording the weekend before - stolen during a photo shoot in the south of France. Only a handful of copies existed but guitarist Edge decided to play his personal CD on the studio stereo during a shoot for Blender magazine.

When they wandered out to take some locations pictures, Edge neglected to press "Eject". Apparently, the band were all posing in an empty swimming pool, 50 metres from the studio, when someone snatched the CD. French police were immediately called in to question a handful of suspects, including photographers, make-up artists, set builders and stylists (a whole new twist to the word "accessory").

"It all got very heavy very quickly," Edge told me. "It was such an opportunistic crime, it was probably just someone looking for a souvenir, but the potential financial damage is disastrous."

This might seem a lot of fuss for a missing CD. Ten years ago bands would glibly hand out advance copies of their albums to friends and co-workers. But in the era of peer-to-peer filesharing, U2 are coming to terms with the fact that two years of hard work on a project expected to generate tens of millions in revenue could be made available as a free download on the internet months in advance of its planned November release.

U2's lead singer Bono has proposed a radical solution. "If it is on the internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month," he told me. "It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention fucking up our holidays. But once it's out, it's out."

As we go to press, the album has not turned up on the net or anywhere else. Personally, I imagine there is a very nervous individual somewhere, wondering how a simple CD managed to stir up such a hornet's nest.

To read the entire article, visit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...xartright.html

Old 07-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 PM
I think they will push the release date forward, leak or not.

Why wait and react later when they can "preempt" it all? Especially since we heard the album IS done.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Either that or they are pulling one hell of a stunt.

Methinks the person who stole the album is not "internet savvy"

But as soon as a friend of that person gets a copy who is, it will probably be on the net REAL soon. Unless you believe the conspiracy theories.

That article also called it 'Vertigo'. I'm about 70% sure that it's the name of the album.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 AM
I really don't know what to make of all of this. I guess we'll just stay tuned....
Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
War Child

Here is the story on wired...
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,...w=wn_tophead_3
Old 07-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Maybe Adam or Larry took it because there not really happy with the album.

What if U2 is gonna do a tie in with ITunes and this is the 1st stage of the marketing strategy. Steve Jobs knows Bono and the Edge, plus Itunes is really getting popular. If Apple offered U2's new album before it hit the market before hard copies it would sell like crazy.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

hmm.......it's just weird, isn't it?

the fact that the CD hasn't been leaked yet, if of course this whole story is actually true, leads me to believe that it won't be leaked on the net, since it's been missing for over a week now, and in this day and age, i can't imagine that if the person who stole the CD had intentions of leaking it, that he wouldn't have done it withing the first 24 hours.

in the end, i think the album will be released in November like the band had planned.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
War Child

The wired article also seems to "confirm" the Vertigo album name as well. More media regurgitation?

This is getting kind of weird. At least we've heard from Bono about the leak, though. Two down, two to go. I still can't see how it would be advantageous for them. Talk about taking the thunder out of the release.

The most significant fact in this article though is the obvious: We may have the new U2 album IN A FREAKING WEEK!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
What if U2 is gonna do a tie in with ITunes and this is the 1st stage of the marketing strategy. Steve Jobs knows Bono and the Edge, plus Itunes is really getting popular. If Apple offered U2's new album before it hit the market before hard copies it would sell like crazy.
Selling like crazy would make up for a fucked up holiday now wouldn't it.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Edge left the CD in the player so that they could go out and pose in another empty swimming pool?!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
War Child

lol, what is it with all the empty swimming pools?

it does smell like a sophisticated marketing strategy, doesn't it?

And, a way to make as much money as possible off the album (many different formats, etc...)

As much as Bono is bitching though in the article how it is going to fuck everything up for them, I'm not so sure they aren't actually DYING to release the album asap!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

the sound of 4 guys playing in an empty swimming pool
Old 07-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Hey Edge.............don't leave the DVD in anyones player either OK?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Possible album titles:

No Running

Not So Soon After Eating
Old 07-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

if the songs ironicly show up on the internet this week... then i'll still believe this was all pre-planed
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:20 PM
I hope it does turn up on the net so they release the album NOW!!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #17
Acrobat

Clever, clever, clever. Think about it. They are in a position, if this is all pre-planned, to release their album early and have everyone one talking about it. Instead of just a normal, "U2 are releasing a new album buzz" which would only reach so far. Now they are getting a great "u2 are being forced into releasing a new album buzz..." Instead of just the average person knowing, now everyone knows what has happened to U2 thanks to their 'mis hap.' Its not exposed to people who haven't even been looking to see if U2 were getting a new album. I'm sure their plan will soon be to release some songs, and say "God damn, guess what? We are going to have to release the album now!" being a new wave of artists to test the whole legal downloading scene by paying it on tunes, giving apple new costumes for fans who want it legally. And what they should say is, "You have to be careful and download this legally, because the French police are still after whoever released this and if you downloaded it you could be label a suspect." So after leasing the album as a pre-order style system, where if you order the hardcovered version of the album, you get to download it as much as you like kinda like what VH1 did with a few artists. From there they can release the single, created more buzz and anticipation until huge album sales.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #18
The Fly

you're forgetting one thing

The vast majority of people who would be interested in buying the new U2 album have not heard that the album was stolen. If I asked my 10 best friends if they knew about it, maybe 1 would say yes.

This was not pre-planned. The news hasn't reached very many people and just because you troll all day looking for new info (as did I today ) doesn't mean this is a campaign writ large.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:42 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I just want to say if they're talking about it in a po'dunk town called Bogart, GA., I think it's a story that's reached quite a few people really...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
if the songs ironicly show up on the internet this week... then i'll still believe this was all pre-planed
As soon as I read the word IPOD I knew that the conspiracy theories have some merit.