"...if I see one more photo of you with a dodgy politician I'm going to throw up."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
"...if I see one more photo of you with a dodgy politician I'm going to throw up."

From atu2, says it's from Dotmusic:

CLOSE TO THE EDGE
October 7, 2003

U2 are nearing completion on their new album, which Bono claims is
driven by the "unbelievable" anger of guitarist The Edge .

The singer has revealed that the band are on the brink of finishing the
follow-up to 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' , and plan to tour the
record in 2004.

Speaking to a UK tabloid in the promotional campaign for a reworked
version of the children's book 'Peter And The Wolf' , which is
illustrated by his paintings, Bono called the record a "monster".

He said: "We're nearly finished - we're in the home straight. There's
only one reason for U2 to put an album out right now - it has to be a
monster, a dragon, and this is."

Bono claimed The Edge 's frustrations with his singer's non-musical
activities had prompted the aggressive nature of much of the album.

"It's filled with big tunes and it's driven by a guitar player who is
sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger
is unbelievable," he said.

"The Edge is the most gifted guitar player of his generation - that's
obvious. He's driving it and he's going, 'This is enough, if I see one
more photo of you with a dodgy politician I'm going to throw up.'

"We're going to be touring again next year and I can't wait. It's a
hard thing to explain but, next to being with my friends and family,
the place I feel most comfortable in my life is on stage in front of
20,000 of my closest friends, or 150,000."

Bono also appealed to Coldplay singer Chris Martin to follow in his
footsteps on the political scene, suggesting he needed all the support
he could get in taking on world leaders.

"As regards shaking politicians' hands, shaking the tree or, in fact,
climbing the tree and pulling the f*cking apples off with my bare hands
if I have to, that's also me.

"But it's me doing a job I shouldn't have to - I feel somebody else
should. Chris Martin from Coldplay is very good at that. He's a fan of
U2 but he's taken on the fair trade thing. He's an extraordinary singer
and talent.

"I'm not handing on the baton but I'm giving him another one and he can
run very fast and I believe in him."

That rocks! Go Edge, Go!!!!

:edge: = :angry:

And Bono called us "his closest friends." :cute: Awwww.... :laugh:

:hyper:

If angry Edge is anything like the "War meets AB" album description, things should be verry interesting!

Lets hope the new stuff is a ss sonically charged as AB and not as bland as most of ATYCLB.

I'm still hoping for ATYCLB #2 but with more acoustic instruments

I'll try to like it no matter what though

wo-hoo

If just one of the words: "Unbelievable anger", "monster" or "dragon" are true I'm going to be a very, very happy girl :). I really hope this is going to be Edge's album like AB was! (Remembering the words "heavy mother" describing AB)

"I'm still hoping for ATYCLB #2..."

I agree! A lot of people here seem to not want that, though. But as I was listening to the CD today, I kept wishing I had more material like it to listen to. But anyhoo, most likely, whatever it is they put out, I'll be a little put-off, or perhaps, even "disappointed" at first, but then about a month or two later it'll be one of my favorite albums. That's just the way U2 works with me :hmm:

And on a side note, I just finished listening to Jools Holland and Bono's collaborating efforts on "If You Wear That Velvet Dress." It's bloody fantastic, too! :yes:

As I said in the other thread in the "Where the album has no name" forum - get ready for U2: Puke Green, coming March, 2004, with the first single, 'Puff The Magic Dragon', done punk rock made on venus style, due approx a month earlier. The 2nd single, 'Mad Yellow (Flem of the Dragon)' to follow shortly after. :up:

who ever wants ATYCLB #2 "to them i say dream on" u2 never repeats them selves so this will be what atyclb was not and thats rock&roll if you want some mellow songs go listen to DMB, coldplay, travis etc. if you want rock stick around.

Last edited:
This is great news. I have not been listening to U2 for about 2 months.....I just felt the need to discover other things. And it's been great. But after this article.....I realize that there is only one band who touches me as deeply and personally as U2. It's unexplainable, but I understand it myself. I'm listening to "A sort of homecoming right now".....first U2 song I've actively listened to in months. It sounds so fucking good! Now Pride is on!

Man, an album AND tour next year. 20,000 closest friends means arena tour. Cool. The remark of 150,000 was just a joke, or maybe on pertains to Ireland. It doesn't indicate a stadium tour, because most stadiums hold 1/3 of that amount. Man, I can't wait.

David "is it 2004 yet" Phelps

The_acrobat said:
Man, an album AND tour next year. 20,000 closest friends means arena tour. Cool. The remark of 150,000 was just a joke, or maybe on pertains to Ireland. It doesn't indicate a stadium tour, because most stadiums hold 1/3 of that amount. Man, I can't wait.

David "is it 2004 yet" Phelps

LOL, that is taking it just a little to literal from a person who tends to completely exaggerate things (Bono). If you really wanted to get technical you could say Bono is saying the range is 20K to 150K for the next tour, now that WOULD include stadiums and indicate that no arenas smaller than 20K would be played. But that is ridiculous (see my point???) Arenas and stadiums are in the works. 1st leg is shaping up to be arenas only in N. America. 2nd leg Europe is going to be Arenas, stadiums and festival sites. 2005 will see U2 in stadiums in the U.S. if the album is successful.

Tour is going to happen but dont take Bono's statements regarding the sound of the album and size of venues on the next tour literally. This is the same person that indicated before ATYCLB came out that it is a rock album loaded with guitars. Umm, no, great album, but I dont think that describes it at all. So take it all with a grain of salt at this point.

Back
Top Bottom