If I Only Had The Money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Edge's Explorer up for auction

explorer-large-406.jpg

Right up there with the flying V as one of the most impractically shaped guitars ever (try sitting down with either to write a song--it's not fun).

the tourist said:
Right up there with the flying V as one of the most impractically shaped guitars ever (try sitting down with either to write a song--it's not fun).

Oh, word. I still find my V uncomfortable, I need to learn to hold it like Bob Mould.

:drool: can someone lend me a million dollar so I can buy all U2 stuff from this auction?

Edge's blue les paul looks fantastic too!

gvox said:
Edge is so much better than that other bandmate of his. Can you imagine Bono doing something so significant? Pffffffffttttt, he's too busy with expensive wines and fancy cars! :angry:

Bono's irish falcon is also up for auction...

but dude, Edge's popmart Cowboy outfit is up too! :lol: awesome!

and yea, he had a blue les paul in the studio apparently, used for the upcoming album! I'm DEFINATELY digging that colour!
edgebluelespaulauctionqg7.jpg

Well I'll be damned. I knew that Epiphone makes a Transparent Blue LP Standard Plus Top:

474949.jpg

But I had no idea that Gibson made one as well. Who knows what year that is though. I've just never seen one.

dmaleads said:
Interesting to see that Marshall on top of the Vox....hmmmm....

Any reason why that's interesting? I would assume they're just footswitchable between amps, and that he's running both amps into the computer he's got there. :shrug:

the tourist said:

Any reason why that's interesting?

It is because this is not a powered amp, which means that the amp and the speaker are sold and powered seperately, but both components are neccessary to get any sound out of the speakers. That is a Marshall amp on top of a Vox speaker. Typically unpowered speaker/amp combos are designed for a certain make, and experienced ears will easily distinguish between different makes.

Specifically, it is interesting because typically either the power or sound running from amp to speaker are most compatible with a like-branded amp or speaker. There are only 2 kinds of people who mix amp/speaker stacks: 1) experimental, picky guitarists who desire very specific sounds but know how to control the energy flow sufficiently, or 2) people who don't know what they are doing and want to blow up their fancy new speakers.

So the Vox is not an amp, he's probably got it mic'd and running into the computer, which is a much more Edge thing to do. Thats why he spends loads on vintage amps and speakers for the studio and doesn't just record digitally.

The more you know.
A.j.

Last edited:
gvox said:

are you kiddin me? There were like 73 new threads and the hit counter went thru the roof over at U2recording when that picture dropped! :yes:

:lol:

:wink:

can you link me to this U2recording joint? ive never heard of it before, but id love to get involved in gear related discussions :wink:

i agree though, thats very interesting

Back
Top Bottom