If Dik Evans had never left U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the songs might have a little more texture live but I don't see much of a difference either way.

I don't think they'd have the same chemistry. It wouldn't be bad necessarily, just different. I guess it would depend on how much of a creative influence he was. Also, who knows if Edge would have developed his sound? having two lead guitarists may have led to something else.

J_NP said:
No guitarrist would never say u2 songs don't have solos

what does that have to do with anything?

i think the extra guitarist would've been interesting. edge wouldn't have had to "fill the sound" as much with effects seeing as though there are two of them.

i bet dik would've added extra bits in the background, rhythm guitar work, while edge went through the main chunks.

vaz02 said:
I just cant see it working tbh, too many cooks spoil the broth.
Pearl Jam has to guitarist (well 3 if you count Vedder) and it's a lot fuller sound. Most U2 songs these days already have several different guitar parts (Electrical Storm, Wild Honey, Summer Rain, A Man And A Woman, Fast Cars, Wild Horses etc have both acoustic and electric guitars) wich is probably why some songs are too hard to play or have to be completly stripped to acoustic to work live

Almost certainly wouldn't have made it to where they are. That's not to say that they would've been bad, but that they probably would not have scaled the same commercial heights as they have in the past 30 years.

Early in u2 by u2 I think it is Bono who says that while Dick was with them they were heavily into the punk scene. This seemed to worry Larry who did not want to be in a punk band. Bono had to constantly reassure Larry thet "no, we are not a punk band". I think it was Edge who had to tell his brother the band was no longer "The Hype", but U2, and they were going in another direction. I think if Dick stayed on Larry would have left...........

Larry would have left and all of Axver's dreams for this band would've come true!

I think if Dik Evans had never left, a hole would've been torn in the space time continuum, and Dr. Brown and Marty would've gone back in time and told Dik to leave the band, correcting the universe for now. In fact, that's probably what happened.

u2granny said:
I don't know what it would be like but I wonder how many times he has kicked himself for leaving.

Yea I feel so bad for him. Do you think that he wanted to join later on after they got a record deal? Do you think that the band may have not allowed him to rejoin?

phillyfan26 said:
Larry would have left and all of Axver's dreams for this band would've come true!

I think if Dik Evans had never left, a hole would've been torn in the space time continuum, and Dr. Brown and Marty would've gone back in time and told Dik to leave the band, correcting the universe for now. In fact, that's probably what happened.

Biff would've still stolen an almanac.

Who knows? Maybe they would have gotten into a lot of fights. In U2 by U2, someone (I don't remember who) said that they didn't feel that Dik was "one of them" since he was older. And also that Dik punched Larry in the stomach. :ohmy:

I wouldn't feel too bad for Dik. I read somewhere that he's some kind of computer genius now, so he's probably not short on cash.

Yeah, that surprises me that Dik would punch Larry, because I have always thought that Dik left of his own accord to form the Virgin Prunes (that is right, isn't it?). I just wonder if the split was amicable and mutual.

But yeah, I bet not only him but the others that gathered that day in Larry's kitchen, then subsequently dropped out, probably wonder what might have been. Weren't there seven of them in the beginning that showed up?

Back
Top Bottom