Identifying Counterfeit Tix...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pvanort

The Fly
Seeing as there was a small problem with fake U2 tickets (In Chicago anyway) last time around, and I have been talking to a few people selling extra tickets, which I would'nt buy without knowing the person, or dealing with them directly. I thought I'd ask for tips. The one bit of advice I seem to recall, was to check if the printing would smudge on the front of the ticket, because real tix, use thermal printing. Other than this, are there any other things to look for?...

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

If the guys sells them to you for $5-$10 its probably fake.

Seriously, when Radiohead was here playing last fall, I was in the market to buy ducats from a scalper. The definitive test that made people buy or not was to take a lit cigarette and quickly place it against the back of the ticket. If it burned all the way through, the ticket was fake. If it just left a burn mark, it was real.

There were alot of burnt tickets on the ground.

CK

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

I was told by a woman at the San Jose arena to scratch the ticket. If it was real it would be black underneath. (actually it was more like gray, but it worked)

Originally posted by pvanort:
*bump*...

Owww....that hurt.

A bruised CK

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

I read that the way they (United Center Staff) figured out that the tickets were fake was by spraying water on them. Apparently the real tickets don't run or smudge but the fakes do.

------------------
"I buy socks."
--Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink

"Do you know," lectures Larry Mullen Jr, "One of Hitler's first military acts was to carpet bomb the village of his birth? He was obsessed by obliterating his past."
"We should do that to the Q photo library," muses Edge. "Destroy all evidence of mullets!"

--Q Magazine interview, "The Elastic Bono Band"

Yeah, apparently if the print rubs off, it's fake.

The smudge test is a good one, here is an additional note for those attending shows in a city with multiple dates. On your ticket it will say

MTV and VH1 present:

* U2 *

Elevation Tour 2001

The stars before and after "U2" correspond to what night it is in that city. Example, New York night 3 would look like this:

*** U2 ***

For the first night in Chicago last time, a lot of the fake tickets had 4 stars on each side instead of 1.

Also, around the inside "box" of the ticket (the middle of the 2 perforations) there is the word "ticketmaster" printed very small. Most fakes do not have this. It runs around the whole box. Be careful when buying from scalpers, and best of luck to ya!

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

[This message has been edited by thehepcat (edited 10-08-2001).]

Originally posted by thehepcat:
The stars before and after "U2" correspond to what night it is in that city. Example, New York night 3 would look like this:

*** U2 ***

Now THIS one I never would have noticed!... Thanks Hep!...

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

[This message has been edited by pvanort (edited 10-08-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom