I'd rather watch the iPOD commercial than the official video...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have yet to see the entire thing but i think they're quite cool. and so is the video. what makes it boring? no girls in thongs, bikinis, gyrating a la beyonce? no booze? what ? pray tell me.

boosterjuice said:
Actually, the Vertigo Video ROCKS!

I'm having all my non-U2 friends praising it. Everyone loves it. Even friends that hate U2 have said the video is really good!!!! We need to embrace the video. I for one, love it.

If you were to design a better video, what would it be?

I agree I like the Vertigo Video..It goes with the song..I'm glad it was not one of those litterally word for word matching the scenes
video...can you imagine??

"The boys play Rock and Roll they know that they can't dance but at least they know..*Edge, Larry, and Adam* trying to dance**
though I know Edge can really shake is money maker when he wants..
or

Girl with crimson nails, Jesus around her neck..moving to the music , *have an actual girl dancing ect....

Anyway I like the vid and well Im voting for it because right now it premiered as number 20 on VH1 so I want it to move up

For me the video is AVERAGE, and the first part the sound is so stripped back - lacking that sonic edge that helps make the song what it is. The sound does pick up half way through though

Haven't seen the IPOD commercial - probably not yet showed in the UK- but I do prefer the studio video to the official one.

Mike

boosterjuice said:

My thoughts exactly!

For those who don't like the video:

What were you expecting from the Vertigo vid?
If you could do it differently, what would you do?
Do you like the StuckinaMoment vid(american)?

So according to the basis of your argument (as it sounds to me) seems to be:

"If you don't like it, then do better"

Thats what it sounds like. That type of argument always makes me laugh. In no way are you defending the video for specific examples of why you like it, or laying out a thought provoking idea of the flow of the video as it pertains to the song....BUT...you cut yourself off the hook by turning it on us and saying "What would YOU do better"
I'm not a damn videographer, its not my craft...of course anything I say is going to pale in comparison to what the pros could do. Does that mean that I can't like it or hate it? No. Does that mea nthat even the pros don't make shit videos? No. Its like saying people can't question the gov't because they're not a senator.
Weak man, I've read many of your posts before and I know that you know your shit and have alot of good stuff to say, but this is not one of those times.

Last edited:
MYSTERIOUS WAYS VIDEO GIVES ME MORE "VERTIGO" THAN THE ACTUAL VERTIGO VIDEO!

NOT BAD BUT THEY COULD HAVE DONE BETTER

The I-Pod spots have a crutial element that the 'real' Vertigo video does not, ENERGY! I'll take that over shitty CGI any day of the week.

This record is supposed to be all about 4 guys playing music together. So why in the hell do we need all the bells and whistles?

I give the real Vertigo video a 3 out of 10.

I-Pod commercials a 7 out of 10.

That's sad.

BonoFox1 said:

I agree I like the Vertigo Video..It goes with the song..I'm glad it was not one of those litterally word for word matching the scenes
video...can you imagine??

Anyway I like the vid and well Im voting for it because right now it premiered as number 20 on VH1 so I want it to move up

:up: Well said BonoFox1.
Can you post the link to the VH1 voting area. Been there already and couldn't find where you vote on the videos. :|
I watched it yesterday morning and today. I'm really loving this video. Thanks...:wink:

Zoocoustic said:
Anyone else feel this way?

To me, the official video for Vertigo is pretty boring. I mean, the special effects are cool, but they get pretty boring after the first 30 seconds, IMO. And there's just nothing else going on. It seems like after those initial 30 seconds, I've seen it all.

Maybe I just need to give it more time, but right now, I find myself watching the full 2-minute iPOD commercial much more than the official video.

I agree.

OK. It's not that I don't like the video, it's just that it's so WIERD. I mean, why is there smoke trailing after each member of the band for almost the entire video? Why Why Why is sand making circular steps around the band? I know it adds to a feeling of Vertigo. It just doesn't make sense! The sand doesn't even look like sand! It looks like a cartoon!

This is one reason why I don't care much for music videos. It is music, not a movie. Every band must feel pressured into making a music video these days, even though no one really just watches tv to watch music videos these days.:huh:

boosterjuice said:

For those who don't like the video:

What were you expecting from the Vertigo vid?
If you could do it differently, what would you do?
Do you like the StuckinaMoment vid(american)?

I had no expectations...because then you usually aren't letdown! :wink: I did feel disappointed though.

I have no clue how I would have done it differently...which is why I am not in the business of making music videos.

Yes, I did like that video.

I think the video is pretty shit. I enjoyed the ipod commercial much more.. in that I've actually felt compelled to watch it more than once.

I have to agree. Simplicity for the sake of simplicty misses the point of simplicity - which is to make a clean, direct statement. This video doesn't really make much of a statement (to me). Where the buffalo video for 'One', for example, evoked something more behind the simple imagery, because it used that clean, direct scene of the buffalo running as a metaphor, almost a symbol, 'Vertigo' is more about the cool graphics than anything....kind of like art for art's sake...which is not a bad thing I suppose...just not something I get much out of in the context of a U2 video.

While one can make the argument the graphics in 'Vertigo' are indeed conveying a sense of vertigo, it doesn't really add to what we already know to be the definition of vertigo. Yeah, it causes some dizzyness and a feeling of physical rotaton and movement...but what's the point? We know this. It would have been nice if there was a bit more to it than that, just as there are in the lyrics.

Last edited:
Guys, the Mysterious Ways video sucks balls, as does most of the R+H videos besides All I Want is You. The Vertigo video was brilliant, it captured the pure stripped down energy of the song with U2 performing on a target ready to explode. How can you guys say this video doesn't have any energy associated with it? :huh:

i liked the video.

i love the song.

that said, they could have made the video with lawn gnomes the whole time, and i'd still love the song.

i guess what im trying to say is i really dont care about the video, even though i like it.

AussieU2fanman said:
Guys, the Mysterious Ways video sucks balls, as does most of the R+H videos besides All I Want is You. The Vertigo video was brilliant, it captured the pure stripped down energy of the song with U2 performing on a target ready to explode. How can you guys say this video doesn't have any energy associated with it? :huh:
It did capture the energy, but I think mostly due to the song. Did it add anything to the song other than some cool graphics? It might have magnified that raw energy a little...but just about any video would have done that. I would like to see a little more than just amplification.

Its ok. I love that kinda black smoke that looks so awesome. And so does that circular target thingo they are on.

But I'd rather have some kinda meaning behind the clip (like please or real thing) rather than the boys just playing on that target thing.

I kinda feel that the video is too fast paced for the song. Kinda out of synch for me.

Mind you I'm just blown away from how awesome the thing looks.
Hope it appeals to the young teen market.

The video has grown on me. I like it now, but I'm not in love with it, it isnt one of my favorites from u2.

Like some1 posted earlier, The Apple video is full of energy & manic groove.

If I can move like every1 in that ad @ 40+, I'd be dancing like that too!

Back
Top Bottom