I wrote to Bono reporting the latest news...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

follower

Refugee
Catchy subject uh? :sexywink:

Now serious, after thinking about the best place to post this I decided that it could fit in here...because it?s U2 related, for sure. :D

I wrote to Cecilia, asking her to report to Bono and the boys about the new World Cup champion...which is my beloved country, Brasil...or Brazil for you ;). Because I know how much they enjoy football (or soccer, whatever;))

She wrote me back a few hours later saying in her caractheristic blue type letters "Will pass it on to Bono when he returns from his holiday."

So...I?m hoping he gets my message this time around. What do you think? Am I hopeless case or what? :heart:

----- Original Message -----
To: Maria Teresa M.da Rosa
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 7:10 AM
Subject: RE: A special request

Will pass it on to Bono when he returns from his holiday.

CC

-----Original Message-----
From: Maria Teresa M.da Rosa [mailto:m_teresa@portoweb.com.br]
Sent: 02 July 2002 00:36
To: cecilia@u2propaganda.com
Subject: A special request

Hello Cecilia,

My name is Maria Teresa and I?m from Brazil. I?ve loved U2 since the first time I saw them playing so passionately at the Live Aid concert in 1985. They have been an important part of my life throughout all these years.

I know they love football (or soccer). When they came to Brazil for the first time in 1998 Bono adressed the crowd in the last Popmart concert in S?o Paulo, and asked for a favour...He wanted Brazil to win the World Cup for Ireland, that?s what he said, maybe because Ireland did not qualified at that time.

So now I would like to ask you for a favour as well. Please report them, and especially Bono, that Brazil is now the World Cup champion again, for the fifth time in the history of the world championship. I dare think he and all of them might like the news. And please tell Bono that Brazilian U2 fans didn?t forget about his request and that we apologize for this delay of 4 years ;-) It didn?t work at that time but it worked now.

That?s it.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Maria Teresa M.da Rosa
Brasil

Yay Follower! I do believe that Cecilia will give Bono the message. She is very devoted to the fans. If it wasn't for her being so kind, I would have never got to my first U2 concerts during the Love Town tour!
Back in the day of snail mail I wrote to her with a request of phone numbers of ticket agencies in Australia and she faxed them to me at work! :):)

:up: Yep, Cecelia definitely rocks!

My mom emailed her from time to time with questions back during Popmart and prior, and she was always very, very nice. :happy:

Thank you all...nice feedback, LOL. I confess I had a few requests from my people...U2 friends and members of local lists. First I thought it wouldn?t be a good idea, but then I started thinking...what the hell, if somebody has to do it so it?s better be me :D

If I get any response from him I?ll let you know. Next time I might remember him of another thing...not a request this time but a promise he made in that same concert...that they wouldn?t forget about us.

:up:

Cute, but don't you think the guys might have already known who won the World Cup when it happened? It was worldwide headline news.

HelloAngel said:
Cute, but don't you think the guys might have already known who won the World Cup when it happened? It was worldwide headline news.

Sure they know Angel...who doesn?t in planet Earth? :D But I couldn?t find a better way to remind him of his request. That was my main intention...and of course I tried to say a funny thing...and couldn?t help bragging about it a little ;)

NicaMom said:
Maybe Bono wore Marina's jersey last Sunday and gave Brasil a little bit of luck.:)

Oh, that famous jersey he gently "stole" from our friend Marina, LOL...yes, maybe. But he definitely needs a new one now, cause that one is out of fashion...it has only 3 stars. And we have 5 now. ;)

Btw....pics. :D Thanks Carrie ;)

BonoBrazil6.JPG

BonoBrazil17.JPG

BonoBrazil21.JPG

Attachments

• bonoedgebrasil.jpg
    bonoedgebrasil.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 90
Hey now stop dissing my jersey, that jersey is very good luck. I bought one just like it on ebay to replace it, wore it, and guess what we won again sooo :madspit: Besides the nike jerseys are plain and dull, long live umbro.

LOL on another note though it would be quite nice to think that maybe he did, but uhm the jersey is too small for him (which should be the first sign for him to realize it wasn't a gift), if he were to even attempt to put it on it would a.) rip or b.) he'd look like shitney spears with the added fat hanging out the bottom of the shirt :ohmy: I have a feeling he gave it Eli and now it has a bunch of ice-cream stains, poor jersey :sad:

doctorwho said:
Not to burst any bubbles... *POP* :D but unless Bono is vacationing in a cave, I'm sure he's well aware that Brasil (Brazil) won the World Cup title. As such, I highly doubt this message will be forwarded.

Caves are nice and quite ... maybe he's taken up spelunking.:p

doctorwho said:
Not to burst any bubbles... *POP* :D but unless Bono is vacationing in a cave, I'm sure he's well aware that Brasil (Brazil) won the World Cup title. As such, I highly doubt this message will be forwarded.

Exactly what I was thinking too. Also, I don't want to seem cynical, but I doubt it means as much to Bono as you think. After all he does this everywhere he goes. When he was in Philadelphia last year, he told us he was for the Sixers (NBA) and they were going to win because U2 were our good luck charm! They did win one night after U2 played there during the Championship series. I really think it's just a way of relating to the local crowd on a personal basis. I don't mean he's not sincere, but I just think he's being nice. He has said things like that to lots of fans of lots of sports in lots of places. It's part of the act. I don't think he's much of a sports fan. Growing up, he didn't like soccer and he and Guggi used to make fun of the uniforms and leg motions of the kids on their street who played it. I've heard Larry is a big soccer fan, but I believe when the band wishes a team well they are only being kind to the locals, not that that's a bad thing. I just don't think it 's a big thing for them. Even if the Sixers had won the title I wouldn't have written him a letter and expected it to be given to him. I just took his statement as a kind gesture, and a grain of salt.

Just the same, as a sports fan I know how much a championship means to the fans to enjoy yours!

doctorwho said:

doctor,

Maybe you didn?t read my 3rd post, I explained my main intention already. Despite all the insignificance one may find in my message I think Cecilia might forward it to him. It will do no harm, because he loves football. And so do the others. He would get it, I?m confident.

But you can think this way...*follower is a hopeless case*...like some have already said. Fine.

Tabby said:
When he was in Philadelphia last year, he told us he was for the Sixers (NBA) and they were going to win because U2 were our good luck charm! They did win one night after U2 played there during the Championship series. I really think it's just a way of relating to the local crowd on a personal basis. I don't mean he's not sincere, but I just think he's being nice. He has said things like that to lots of fans of lots of sports in lots of places.

Sure, he?s so nice :yes:...but I have a question...have he and the boys ever played basketball there in Philadelphia? Have they ever asked people to actually arrange things for them to play it? Or any other sport? In any other place? That?s what happened in Brasil, both times they visited us. I think it might mean something for them as well.

Okay, I asked 4 questions actually. ;)

Last edited:
I really don't know. But he did throw out the ball during the halftime show! With their short stature they really couldn't play basketball anyway;) There has been a lot of such things over the years. I just think this type of thing is more publicity and act than anything. They also have said they liked the Boston Celtics (Irish theme). They posed smiling with Patriots and Rams jerseys at the Super Bowl and took some pics playing ball and mentioned the names of some of the quarterbacks as in would they like to play. Edge wore a Dolphins Jersey and other sports jerseys, they had an Arizona Diamondback onstage in Phoenix with the championship trophy, they had the NYPD on stage, well again I hate to sound cynical but I just believe most of this stuff is arranged for show and publicity and it goes over well with the local crowds. I'm not doubting their sincerity just how deep their feelings really are for these things, and I don't believe any one is really more special to them than the others. If their heart is anywhere, it's with the Irish team, but even then Larry seems to be the only real fan. At the preshow thing in LA that was filmed last year, Bono was there, and Larry was supposed to be but hadn't shown. He explained Larry couldn't tear himself away from the TV because Ireland was playing soccer. It didn't mean so much to Bono or he'd have stayed too instead of clowning around with the film crew. As a sports fan, I know if your team is playing you are too emotionally worked up and intense to do anything else. if any member of the band wanted to play it was Larry. But oh well, it's a reason to try to get through to him. It might draw more attention than just 'hi I think you're hot and love all your songs' or something.

Last edited:
Tabby said:

I don't think he's much of a sports fan. Growing up, he didn't like soccer and he and Guggi used to make fun of the uniforms and leg motions of the kids on their street who played it.

After watching Bono sporting habilities, I think it was easier for him to mock the kids on the street, than show how sissy he looked doing it ;)

First....**cass hugs follower** We won!!!!!! (we all won, we all one)

Second...I'm sure bono is aware who won the World Cup. That is not the intention of follower's letter imho.

Third ...**cheers Cecelia. I have not encountered cecelia, but I think it's cool our local music academy is named after her, Sister Cecelias:)

Fourth.......those pics follower:love: I mainly know U2 throught their albums. i don't know much of the live performance history. it is great to see the pics and hear the stories. Thanks

Fifth...**cass hugs follower again**

On holidays eh? I'm off to Yamba shortly. Might check out the Pacific Hotel...there was a rumour..........hang on, there is always a rumour:) I'll do some whale watching instead. The winter migration has begun and the increase in numbers as well as the increase in pod size is very pleasing and encouraging....not quite as good as Bono in football shorts, but a magnificent sight to behold none the less.

** cass sets off looking for that new leaf she's meant to be turning over**

It's a good thing you have done teresa....peace

Attachments

• ronaldo08[1].jpg
    ronaldo08[1].jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 64
First, cass...you have a special place in my heart. And you know that, don?t you? ;)

Second, I wasn?t born yesterday. I know they, and especially Bono, usually are nice and try to connect with their audiences, trying to say and do the right thing to please people. I didn?t mean to cause any fuzz when I opened this thread and posted both my letter and Cecilia?s response. I was just proud and surprised at the same time...proud of again having been asked to speak in the name of Brazilian fans and surprised by Cecilia?s response. I know she usually answers "Will pass it on"...and nothing more than that. This time around she was more, lets say, warm ;) as a friend pointed me out, she used exactly 12 words, 8 more than her trademark, LOL...Maybe because,
being Larry?s beloved sister, she?s a football fan as well, LOL

Anyways, Bono really said what I mentioned...in good Portuguese, two complete sentences. If you have the Popmart S?o Paulo bootleg you can hear him, right before Staring at the Sun saying "Posso pedir um favor pra voc?s? Ganhem a Copa do Mundo pra Irlanda!". Then he translated what he said to Edge..."I just asked Brasil to win the World Cup for Ireland" and then they laughed and Bono shouted "Irlanda, Irlanda". The crowd went nuts, really cool.

Of course only Bono and the boys could really say if they love football or not, although I?m pretty sure they really enjoyed playing it in Brasil. A few days before that last Popmart concert they had some fun playing a football match to celebrate Rom?rio?s birthday. When they returned in 2000 they asked people to arrange another match, and that?s what happened.

We?ll see what happens next. I?ll report any response I possibly receive.
:)

I have no doubt he said that, the question is does he remember? They say so much in so many concerts. We fans grab onto little lines like that and hold them dear in our hearts. They are very dear to us. I have things like that too. But the band and the busy lives they lead and the big world they live in mostly don't recall all the things they said like we do.

Catchy title like you said so you never know. And don't be offended they didn't come back to Brazil, it's not his fault. There are so many people and issues involved. I'm sure they'd like to go everywhere if they could.

She's Larry's sister eh? Well now, maybe she can get a message to Larry Bear for me!;)

Guys lighten up it's a joke, no one here is dumb. Yeah the band knows Brasil won, the whole world does, well except in certain parts of the U.S. cause you know soccer isn't "commercially viable" there. Yeah Bono probably don't remember what he said in the concert. The point is that he went through a lot of trouble to say it in the concert (translation and everything) as a complete joke, and to finish the joke we're simply dropping him a notice saying "we won *wink wink* will you come visit now?" It's joke, ah ah, laugh, damn you all seriously lack a sense of humor at times.

edit spell errors

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom