I Will Follow and Mofo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungJedi

The Fly
From what I understand, both I Will Follow and Mofo are strongly connected to Bono's mother. That being the case, I think it's interesting to compare the two and realize how different they sound in some ways (I think someone unfamiliar with U2 music might think it was two different bands), yet still having a similar theme. They're both great songs, and are near the heart of U2 itself (or at least Bono).

Any thoughts on these two songs?

popmart mexico city tv thing started with mofo and then went directly into i will follow

do you mean thoughts lyrically? i was just going to say that they sounda hell of a lot different from each other and it's really funky to listen to one right after the other. funky, but cool

well they are both somewhat related to his mother. Moreso with I Will Follow then Mofo. I think that they are great songs and the differences is evident bc like any band in the span of 17yrs , the sound is bound to change.

Personally I think IWF is like an innocent version of Bono singing and MOFO is a mature version of Bono singing.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not strongly related to Bono's mother.

That was a little pun/joke for you all.

mother... am i still your son?
you know i've waited for so long to hear you say so
mother... you left and made me someone
now i'm still a child, no one tells me no

i've always thought mofo was u2's greatest song lyricaly... i always saw it as a song about a man who grew up without his mother, and is now after becoming a parent himself, is realizing what a huge thing he's missed in his life... the "God shaped hole" if you will... brilliant

i always thought that at the very end of mofo (really loud in headphones) it resembled the guitar riff from I will follow.

i personally love both songs and I find Mofo incredible and amazing.
correct me if i'm wrong but didn't bono dedicate Tomorrow to his mom also?

And I just read in Niall Stokes' book Into The Heart that Lemon also started out as a tribute to his mother (someone had uncovered some early video material of his mother in which she wore lemon).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. I regard I Will Follow as U2's best song ever. The first song of their first album and such a power!

P.S. I regard I Will Follow as U2's best song ever. The first song of their first album and such a power

I guess it's been all downhill from there :p.

AchtungJedi said:
P.S. I regard I Will Follow as U2's best song ever. The first song of their first album and such a power

I guess it's been all downhill from there :p.

someone wrote that on the vinyl copy of the boy album at the campus radio station. they said that it was their best album and that they've gone down hill since october :crack: and that shadows and tall trees was still the only song really worth playing, even though the album was pretty good.

i added my own comments :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom