I was listening to Zooropa today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Bono was at his peak during ZooTV and Zooropa days. Even setting aside his uncanny Johnny Cash impersonation on The Wanderer :)wink: Chizup), his voice is incredible in its range and power.
Dirty Day....:drool:

i do have to say, as a straight man, i find bono to be at his absolute sexiest performing dirty day on the zootv tape

I must admit Bonos Lemon vocal used to make me cringe :reject:
However I now appreciate it a lot more! It is a hell of a falsetto. Bee Gees eat your heart out!

Aardvark747 said:
If it's busy in my shop and i'm playing Zooropa, I sometimes forget about the beeps at the end of the cd - and it scares the shit out of some ppl!:wink:

The same happened to me once. It scared the shit out of some people alright...including my boss:uhoh:

The vocal on Lemon is heaven. :angel:

Once on a cold rainy day I listened to Lemon in the car and got all :sad: thinking that I had actually shook hands with the person that belonged to THAT voice. :bow:

I think Bono is outstanding on quite a few Zooropa tracks - Lemon and Stay especially - but overall I can't say I'd rank it as his best-performed album. Not because he sings badly, but rather because IMO many songs on Zooropa just aren't made to showcase his voice to the fullest, and with songs like Babyface I'm not sure his voice fits the song at all.

Possibly the pinnacle album for Bono's voice. If not Zooropa, than I'd say Rattle and Hum is.

Zooropa is an interesting record because you can literally hear Bono's voice changing. His voice is very nasaly throughout the record. I believe it is this way because the smoking was beginning to take an effect on his voice. Smoking can cause a buildup of mucous along with inflamation of the throat and nose, which would explain what you hear on the record.

I think Bono is also 'singing through his nose' because his voice was beginning to weaken and he was finding it harder to sing full-voice through his throat, due to the ravages of smoking.

That's my theory, anyway.

-Miggy

Last edited:
Hard to pick a favorite Bono album, I have to say right now Bomb is my favorite.

Miggy D said:
Zooropa is an interesting record because you can literally hear Bono's voice changing. His voice is very nasaly throughout the record. I believe it is this way because the smoking was beginning to take an effect on his voice. Smoking can cause a buildup of mucous along with inflamation of the throat and nose, which would explain what you hear on the record.

Hmm... to me Bono always sounded quite nasally. Perhaps not on the earliest records, but since mid-80s, definitely. Achtung Baby probably takes the Nasally Crown for me, :wink:

Bono's range on Zooropa is unmatched by just about any frontman. However, I think Bono is probably his best on R&H. just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom