I want to change your opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkydog

The Fly
Regarding SIAMYCGOO.

This song never really did much for me. It was always a bit plodding, a bit bland and slow. That is, until the other night...
As i was chatting with a friend with Boston playing in the background, suddenly the ending of this song stopped me dead in my tracks and woke me up to the beauty of this song. The part where Edge sings 'and if the night..' by himself, and when Bono then joins in over the top just blew me away!! Suddenly this piece has become such a soulful track. Listen again to the live version and feel it!!!

oh yeah...

I often bash this song as one of U2's worst songs ever. And yet I love that ending bit sung by Edge. I just feel it's a shame it was wasted on an otherwise awful tune.

i didn't like it at all until they did it on Conan/Vertigo leg 3. Especially on Conan, when those trumpets kicked in. . . very very good!

Somewhere out there is the original gospel tinged version of the song with, among others, Mick Jagger on backing vocals. I'd love to hear it. The basics of the song are great, it's just the surface level sound of the album version that sucks.

...Hmmm... seems I'm preaching to the converted. The title of this thread is 'I want to change your opinion', not 'please agree with me on this'. Is there anyone out there that is up to the challenge of feeling nothing in this song?

C'mon, lets hear ya!

junkydog said:
...Hmmm... seems I'm preaching to the converted. The title of this thread is 'I want to change your opinion', not 'please agree with me on this'. Is there anyone out there that is up to the challenge of feeling nothing in this song?

C'mon, lets hear ya!

I used to hate this song immensely until I read your post, and i was converted instantly. It's now my favorite song ever. You are quite persuasive!

Just joshing. I actually have always liked this tune. But yea, probably could've benefitted from a rawer approach.

I love the song , all versions are cool for me especially vertigo version

ozeeko said:

I used to hate this song immensely until I read your post, and i was converted instantly. It's now my favorite song ever. You are quite persuasive!

Yes!!! Chalk it up..

:wink:

Love the live version! Some lovely soulfull and understated guitar playing by the Edge. He makes every note count and great vocals at the end too.

Studio version not quite as good but still worthy of being ranked up with some of their best tracks.

love the studio version!! but i hate the acoustic version!! especially pauls vocals on that track!! not so good!!

studio version all the way!! and what were u2 thinking with the football music video!! WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!
the (lets throw bono out of a moving van) is 100% better!!

So, wait, shaun vox, let me get this straight: you bitch about post-Pop U2 being adult contemporary "dad rock", and yet the most adult contemporary of them all, Stuck In A Moment, is great in your opinion? :huh:

Earnie Shavers said:
Somewhere out there is the original gospel tinged version of the song with, among others, Mick Jagger on backing vocals. I'd love to hear it. The basics of the song are great, it's just the surface level sound of the album version that sucks.

I've been holding my breath.....

:drool:

This is one of the most underated songs around here... I really don't understand why. The song is touching, the lyrics are beautiful and they can be identified with someone's situation. And then, it reminds me the video with Bono being pushed from the van... great video, miles better than the soccer one (that I really hate!)...

anyone who thinks this song is not amazing is silly. it continues to save me. there's nothing bad about it. listen to the wonderful lyrics and know i'm right!

I used to hate this song (and the album), but have warmed up to it more recently. I think the album version is a little thin and would have worked better with a little "dirt" sprinkled on it, but nevertheless, a very soulful and good song.

Back
Top Bottom