I think the leaks are planned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I think that U2 is behind this 100% in order to hype the album excitement.
The way that only ABOY was leaked awhile back...then nothing for a long time....then vertigo....then nothing ....then as we get only a couple weeks from the official single going to radio we get 2 more leaks.....
plus, if you listen to the actual quality of the recordings....they're bad enough to not want to burn them to cd and listen, but ok enough to get an idea for the sound of the songs.....

masters of the hype.

(which is ok by me, seeing as how all the clips are really great tunes so far)

I must say I somewhat agree. The whole stealing of the album put up all the question marks for me. I mean you have the entire album of U2 and nothing not even a small leak. Not even the song names or anything like that. Strange. It is just that why does U2 need to add hype to an album? Aren't they big enough? I think the whole thing is slightly fishy....:shrug:

I think U2 was definitely confident enough in the new material to be playing it all over the place, knowing that someone could conceivably make a copy of it with some kind of recording device in their pocket. However, you also know that the quality is not going to be that great. In my opinion, there is no way they are actually behind it. They know what they have is gold, so they are sitting pretty either way.

I think the leaks are planned. U2 just wanted to do it a little different than ATYCLB, as in without the 30 second clips. Its just enough to get you excited and really want the album. I kind of hope all of us get to hear the album the day it hits the stores rather than downloading.

if anything was ever so obvious it is that u2 and the record label are 100% behind the leaks.

they must have people reading the boards if not themselves to gauge when to throw out more clips.

i mean seriously everyday i come on here on the edge of my seat when i click on this forum hoping to see a thread with a new clip. we are like dogs waiting for crumbs from their ... aw fuck it nevermind.:|

I agree aswell as the original poster. U2 have been doing this music thing for quite some time and are very in control of what gets out there and what does not.

once again, i wouldn't be suprised if these leaks were planned, along with the "stolen cd" story being fake.

Where were you guys back when I posted "Slow Song Leaks -- Eleborate Plants by the Band?"

"Oh here comes Michael Moore" they said. "Go join up with that Oliver Stone conspiracy wacko" they said.

Well, come early, come late to the party I say. I just want to here new U2 like the rest of you. Bring on the rest of the tracks in 30 second to 1 minute form with waves in the background and spanish people talking. And Hooray for Miracle Drug! Sounds awesome.

Yep, U2 will leak their own stuff (they're really known to do that and have no history of having a problem with it), bad quality and months ahead of the release.

Come on. There's nothing to start the conspiracy theory just yet (the CD was lost IMO), it was simply fans close enough to Bono's house in France that recorded the songs. If I remember right, they said they've got 10 songs down so something more might come out.

Think how this time around they're not handing out promo CDs or mp3s, it was just Interscope people letting radio DJ's listen to Vertigo on an Ipod they brought in. Looks like the band learned from previous two albums and are REALLY keeping it hush hush.

Last edited:
i doubt this would be a publicity stunt, especially with the bad quality and people clearly talking about it arguing whether it's a new song or not...

i think some fans are so desparately bored that they will conceieve conspiracy theories about the leaks being conspiracy theories.....this is a sure sign we need the new album pronto!!!:|

I'm starting to wonder if we'll hear a 30sec clip of any of the songs in they're mastered format before the album comes out. I really thought we would have heard a mastered 30sec clip version of Vertigo by now. Someone on here mentioned Radio 1 here in the UK are going to be playing it on the 10th of September (this Friday) but that doesn't tie in with all the DJ's in the U.S sayin' the won't be playing it 'til the 24th? does anyone know where the Radio 1 story really came from?

oh... we taped the album in Eze with a viceocamera and put the MP3 online... I have to double check my mailbox because I haven't seen the Principle Management check yet.

* looking for the check labeled "secret-promo-lead-by-spanish-fans-secrecltly controlled-by-mcguiness-mind" *

I don't think the Spanish fans realized they were part of it. I think every opportunity was given for the songs to be recorded by *some* fan. Look at all of the reports of the music blaring out of windows in Dublin and France. The spanish people happened to be the ones to leak it (thank you by the way!). The band isn't stupid. They know the risks involved with those actions and having tourists hanging around, especially after the Vertigo snippet.

I think there are hundreds of better, more creative ways to promote the new album than letting fans to tape bad quality samples.

They are getting good critics by who.... by us the sick fans that simply want EVERYTHING U2 related. What's the promotion in non-u2 fans: ZERO.

It's not the same case than the "leaked" CD during photo sessions in Niza. I really think this case its part of the promo. You had all press (musical and general newspapers) talking about U2 for a while.

U2dork said:
I don't think the Spanish fans realized they were part of it. I think every opportunity was given for the songs to be recorded by *some* fan. Look at all of the reports of the music blaring out of windows in Dublin and France. The spanish people happened to be the ones to leak it (thank you by the way!). The band isn't stupid. They know the risks involved with those actions and having tourists hanging around, especially after the Vertigo snippet.

Yes, but in reality, how likely is it that any fan will get a) close enough to record good quality or b) have high quality recording equipment to make quality recordings? This isn't like U2 concerts where you have fans with cameras or CD players recording their music.

Letting some fans hear their music is exactly that and nothing else. (also, remember reports how quickly the windows and doors would get closed the second they noticed any cameras around the studio)

U2girl said:

Yes, but in reality, how likely is it that any fan will get a) close enough to record good quality or b) have high quality recording equipment to make quality recordings? This isn't like U2 concerts where you have fans with cameras or CD players recording their music.

Letting some fans hear their music is exactly that and nothing else. (also, remember reports how quickly the windows and doors would get closed the second they noticed any cameras around the studio)

Bono's house is on a beach, so it wouldn't be hard to get near it. And the guys who recorded it are in their own band. There is a tape recorder on their website for crying out loud! They said there was a fat guy eyeing them up the whole time they were out there (I assume some type of security). Now, the missing CD is another story...especially mentioning that they would put it out on Itunes, "if the songs ever surfaced". Give me a break.

VertiGone said:

Bono's house is on a beach, so it wouldn't be hard to get near it. And the guys who recorded it are in their own band. There is a tape recorder on their website for crying out loud! They said there was a fat guy eyeing them up the whole time they were out there (I assume some type of security). Now, the missing CD is another story...especially mentioning that they would put it out on Itunes, "if the songs ever surfaced". Give me a break.

exactly my thoughts. i don't actually think the spanish guys are with U2, but that U2 basically gave whoever had recording equipment the oppurtunity to attain a bad quality recording of a couple of their songs.

VertiGone said:

Well, not like U2 can build a giant wall around the studio or Bono's beach house anyway.
(exactly...fat guys watching prevent anyone getting REAL close) BTW I heard All because of you and it's really nothing spectacular, couldn't make almost anything out - I can easily pass on tracks of that sound "quality".

U2 was just covering all angles, should the songs come out. Since Itunes and Ipod are likely the start of a new technology that just might help anti-piracy, and U2 has given its songs to Apple's service in the past, it makes total sense - that would make U2 ahead of anyone else because I don't think anyone ever put out the whole album on Itunes. (didn't they say Vertigo will be on Itunes very quickly after radio release?)

Last edited:
They also don't have to play the album at that volume. They're not totally deaf...

U2 are masters of publicity and hype by this stage of their career. I'm sure they're not sweating the fact that some spanish fans have put online some very crappy recordings of their new songs. It allows them to get some more FREE publicity and hype of the album all the more.

Look at the stir it's caused in here.....:huh:

I don't understand how anyone could believe that these poor quality clips are something the band is behind.

The argument that it is strange that the spanish guys haven't released all of their recordings at once is not valid (this have been discussed in other threads). They, ofcourse, want to create their own hype and get maximum amount of hits on their website, by releasing one clip at a time.

And some comment about U2 having control over this publicity thing, because they have been in the business for so long... come on, why do you think the recordcompanies are so afraid of the internet (the medium which holds and creates most publicity for U2 and their new album at the moment), because they have no control... nobody has.

Maybe one could argue that they should have thought about the possiblity that some fan might record what was playing... but actually i believe that they just didn't think about it. Thats the gorilla guys work, they are the ones that should see that noone gets too close etc etc. They just enjoyed their new finished album at high volume and some stalking fans happened to record it, at an extraordinary bad quality.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
U2 are masters of publicity and hype by this stage of their career. I'm sure they're not sweating the fact that some spanish fans have put online some very crappy recordings of their new songs. It allows them to get some more FREE publicity and hype of the album all the more.

Look at the stir it's caused in here.....:huh:

You're right - but the only ones listening to these clips are us hardcores... we don't need ANY publicity and represent a pimple on the arse of the U2 buying public.

I agree with you radioskugga. I can't believe that anybody would consider this to be a publicity stunt! the quality of the recordings is utter shite.

All I'm saying is that the snippets are a creative way of giving a *taste* of the album to fans without the band actually leaking the material themselves. I don't think it was a publicity stunt as hardcore fans are the only ones who are going to waste their time with this stuff and those who don't want to ruin the surprise don't have to listen. Who knows? Maybe the first snippet was an accident (although in this technological day and age I don't know how they could be so naive) but they certainly stumbled upon something that has riled up the U2 community, wouldn't you say?

from what I've heard it's a wonder that it took fans so long to drag along a recorder near the studio/bono's car/whatever

the thing I don't understand is why the spanish guys dont seem to be able to put an entire song they recorded on the net

Back
Top Bottom