I think Running to Stand Still is my favorite song.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
It's certainly a surprise to me. Gee, and all this time I thought Bad, The Fly, or Beautiful Day was my favorite song. Go figure.

Anyway, humor aside, just watching the Chicago DVD last night, I realized something I already knew, Running to Stand Still is a gorgeous song. Every version. Album, Lovetown, Zoo T.V., Vertigo. All fabulous. But I also realized this is my favorite song. It really is. Yeah. It's just such an epic and sad story, and the musical performance is absolutely perfect. And you gotta ADORE Bono's Halelujahs from Zoo T.V. :wink: Anyway, just do yourself a favor and read the lyrics again. They are really breathtaking.

And so she woke up, woke up from where she was, lying still.
Said 'I gotta do something about where we're going.'
Step on a steamtrain. Step out of the driving rain, maybe. Run from the darkness in the night.

Singing ah, ah la la la de day. Ah la la la de day.

Sweet the sin, bitter the taste in my mouth.
I see Seven Towers, but I only see one way out.
You gotta cry without weeping, talk without speeking, Scream without raising your voice.
You know I took the poison from the poison stream, then I floated out of here.

Singing ah, ah la la la de day. Ah la la la de day, ah la la de day.

She runs through the streets, eyes painted red, under a black belly of cloud in the rain.
In through a doorway, she brings me white gold and pearls stolen form the see.
She is ragin'. She is ragin.
And a strom blows up in her eyes.
She will suffer the needle chill.
She running to stand still.

Good choice, indeed. So powerful and the lyrics are poetry. I agree with you completely! It's in my top 10, definitely.

Running To Stand Still is absolutely beautiful.

Along with Where The Streets Have No Name and Red Hill Mining Town, definately one of the strongest tracks on The Joshua Tree IMO.

Never seems to lose its magic, not much more I can say really, musically superb and the lyrics are just :drool: .

My most favorite U2 songs were never singles.

Bad
Until the End of the World
Running to Stand Still
Kite
Gone
Love and Peace or Else (so far :wink: )
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Acrobat
One Tree Hill (outside of NZ)

Running to Stand Still > j00!

jk :wink:

But RTSS > Miss Sarajevo (imo). I'm really disappointed they changed that section up. Bullet/Running is just such an amazing duo, they don't seem right apart. I even put them together on best-of cd's I make people. Yes, definitely a beautiful song.

Now will someone mash up Running and Walk On already like the VH1 commercial with the Edge talking about saving music does? :hyper:

Ahh... I especially love this song on the lovetown tour...something about Bono's voice singing those "ah la la la de day" 's is amazing.
I agree, the RTSS--->Amazing Grace is :drool:

The harmonica to fade out at the end of the album version is perhaps the most moving piece of music I have heard in my life. It makes me emotional just thinking about it. It's U2 doing Americana and absolutely nailing it. This song changed the way I looked at music.

I love it too. It is perfect, in almost every way. And I just realised it so I now give it a 5. When I first bought The Joshua Tree, Running to Stand Still was like the only song I listened to that day. And I can't really remember the Rattle & Hum version, but I remember thinking it was bloody amazing.

Ohhhh. Running To Stand Still. It's definitaly one of my favourites. If I were stuck in an elevator with Bono, this is definitaly the song I'd want to talk to him about, it's touched my life in quite a strange way. The ZooTV version almost makes me weep, it's so beautiful. "Halle, halle, HALLELUJAH!"

Back
Top Bottom