I think "Rejoice" is one of the most overlooked songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now Scarlet's one I don't really like...but it's only one of a few off October that I don't. It always pains me to see people ranking October at the bottom of their lists! I think it's a great album. Bono's lyrics are dreadful on it, but that's understandable. Musically, I think it was probably U2's most interesting period.

GibsonGirl said:
Now Scarlet's one I don't really like...but it's only one of a few off October that I don't. It always pains me to see people ranking October at the bottom of their lists! I think it's a great album. Bono's lyrics are dreadful on it, but that's understandable. Musically, I think it was probably U2's most interesting period.

I wonder how great it would've been with comparable lyrics... :hmm:

I am very much on the record on this site with loving October. Such an underrated album, in my opinion. I just love the mood of it, love the way Edge shines on almost every song, etc. I know that it's not strong lyrically but I hesitate to call the lyrics dreadful, that seems a tad strong to me.

I honestly think a lot of people place this towards the bottom of U2's work because they are conditioned to. I know a few people who condemn the album, then eventually confess to having heard it like 2 times and not in many years. Eh. Their loss.

I especially love "Is That All", despite the lack of lyrics and the opening riff basically being the opening to Electric Co.....Edge's guitar while Bono sings the words "Is that All" is simply mesmerizing to me, I'll always love it and it will always remind me of when I was 13-14 and going back and re-listening to that album a lot on the heels of War being released and getting some airplay. Makes me smile. :)

See?

GibsonGirl said:

Just for that, I'm going to make a loop of "JERUSALEM WOAH WOAH!" and take it with me to the next venue U2 plays at. Then I'm going to blare it on repeat when Edge comes out to sign things. :grumpy: There's nothing wrong with With A Shout!

:lol:

Totally agree with you on this one. I never had a problem with the song either.

Yep, Rejoice kicks ass. I like October, though like most U2 the songs are better live...compare Larry's drumming on I Threw a Brick to any live version.

No spoken words said:

I especially love "Is That All", despite the lack of lyrics and the opening riff basically being the opening to Electric Co.....Edge's guitar while Bono sings the words "Is that All" is simply mesmerizing to me, I'll always love it and it will always remind me of when I was 13-14 and going back and re-listening to that album a lot on the heels of War being released and getting some airplay. Makes me smile. :)

You must be the only one besides me who has high regard for "Is That All?" An amazing way to end an album.....and I always claim that when "The Cry" is played live, it's actually "Is That All?" being snippeted live, just cause I like the idea of the song begin played live.

It's my second favourite song from October, behind Gloria (incidentally, my favourite song by anyone of al time).

October is an under rated album. I very much prefer it over it's over rated successor War.

It's my second favourite song from October, behind Gloria (incidentally, my favourite song by anyone of al time).

Rejoice is ok, nothing to spectacular for me personally. Probably my second least liked song on the album, behind Scarlet...

I agree with a lot of the posters on here about the energy of "Rejoice." It just jumps off the record and blows you away. And yes, the line, "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me," is one I try to keep in my mind when things get tough. It is all about attitude, faith, and having the power within you to keep things in perspective. I tell ya what, that Bono dude is one smart cookie sometimes.

As for October the album, it took me a long time to get into it. Many listens. But now I love it, very atmospheric, and personally I don't feel that it should have the "forgotten album" stigma. By the way, every now and then I read that none of the members of U2 like the album cover. I have never had a problem with it all. Thoughts on that, anyone?

jmccuanu2 said:
. By the way, every now and then I read that none of the members of U2 like the album cover. I have never had a problem with it all. Thoughts on that, anyone?

I suppose I don't really mind it as an album cover, it serves it's purpose.

That said, I do prefer album covers that aren't just shots of the band. I prefer there to be something more to the album cover, like Zooropa or War. I was fine with Pop, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree, but the HTDAAB album cover was pathetic.

I can kinda understand why the boys don't like the album cover. Looks very "daggy", which shouldn't necessarily be a reason to hate it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bono looked at the cover now and thought "What the fuck was I thinking there? Why did we choose that?"

Doesn't matter anyway, the songs are bloomin' marvellous...

Hey there Intedomine,

Just curious, not sure what the term "daggy" means. Sorry for my lack of the lexicon. Can you explain, please? Or anyone else, who maybe knows? Thanks.

October love, you bet!!

Boy was the album that got me introduced to U2, however October is what hooked me mercilessly. I was grappling internally with exactly the same issue the band was at that time, and up to that point had never had an album, a lyric, a guitar riff, a vocal, a bass line, a pounding drum, all of it, speak so loudly and crystal clearly to me.

It really opened up the door for me, and of course every album of theirs since has been to me the natural progression of the themes and questions raised back then.

Tomorrow
I Threw A Brick
Jerusalem
Gloria
etc
etc

Just amazing tracks. I think I'd die on the spot if I heard U2 perform Tomorrow or I Threw A Brick nowadays. Just awesome!

When I started doing the tribute band thing, naming my first band was a no-brainer: October! :)

Of course now I'm a corporate sellout like U2. :wink:

(that's sarcastic lol)

jmccuanu2 said:
Hey there Intedomine,

Just curious, not sure what the term "daggy" means. Sorry for my lack of the lexicon. Can you explain, please? Or anyone else, who maybe knows? Thanks.

It means not cool. (All my years watching Aussie soaps were not wasted! :wink: ).

I was listening to October this morning (I love the album btw) and was thinking that I'd love U2 to do something similiar musically now. Just them playing instruments with great energy instead of all this heavy production and manipulation that seems to go on with them these days...

As for Bono's lyrics on October, look at this way- at least he isn't mentioning kneeling and sky every other song!

Back
Top Bottom