I think "Reality Bites" saved ALL I WANT IS YOU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
WE all know, of course, that All I Want is YOu is a great great U2 song. Different from anything else on R & H and different from any song for that matter. Its the ultimate "commitment" song. A true love song.

But I think that the film Reality Bites boosted this song into greatness in the eyes of the general public, specifically America. A film seen by many of the "youths" and a song that was either reintroduced or just plain introduced in general to a mass. And with that exposure, more so than R & H gave the song, AIWIY was catapulted into classic stature. I don't know if any one else agrees with me on this but we must give kudos to the film for this. I'm not saying the song cannot stand on its own, but that classic label was formed, I think, by the film's popularity.
:hmm:

Wrong.

All I Want Is You SAVED Reality Bites because it was a crap movie.

Also, for the sake of argument, it's not the film but Lisa Loeb's Stay that boosted All I Want Is You, IF indeed it boosted the song.

The public bought the soundtrack because of Stay and heard All I Want Is You in the process. They didn't buy the soundtrack because of the movie itself, I can guarantee you that. Also, All I Want Is You was never rereleased as a single for that soundtrack.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

I think whenever a song by a great band is used in any other way than in relation to the band, something is taken away from it. :shrug: I don't like it when people do this to songs.

Okay, I've been into U2 roughly since 1992. And funnily enough, I heard AIWIY for the first time on the RB soundtrack and loved it. Then I went and bought Rattle and Hum. I agree with Jick that the song saved the movie. I think songs like Lisa Loeb's Stay and AIWIY definately boosted sales of the RB soundtrack.

WRONG. i dont know how you can possibly think this.

and your logic is silly, at best.

just because youth heard it, makes it great?! excuse me?! is that REALLY what your saying?

yikes.

eh, the movie sucked and the soundtrack did nothing more than launch lisa loebs career. the only thing memorable about the movie was her video for her song off the soundtrack. i doubt anyone cared that a U2 song was on the soundtrack.

all i want is you, didn't need saved anyway.

when i was away from the computer tonite, the thought of this thread angered me.

How many people actually saw that movie anyway, I don't recall it being any kind of a hit.
If anything "Saved" AIWIY, its the circus people in the video.:sexywink:

O.K., LOOK.

Maybe I shouldn't have use the word "saved" !
How about:
Boosted?
Lifted?
Help secure?
Gave "props to?

Come on people. All I am saying is that the movie Reality Bites, which was a popular movie in the 90's, not saying that it was the greatest picture since One flew Over the Frickin Cukoo's Nest, but it helped All I want is You to be heard to the General PUBLIC. The General non-psycho U2 fans who had only heard Mysterious Ways and With or Without you and thought they were just "keen" songs. I'm not taking anything AWAY from the song. Its one of my top 5 favorite U2 Tunes. But to the world in general, I believe that the movie soundtrack helped to *pick a word from above* the song to classic stature in the eyes of the average tom dick or jane. Ok?

:slant:

go ahead, flame me

I love reality bites...and all i want is you...good song but i rarely listen to it. It's depressing.

Back
Top Bottom