I think Miracle Drug and Love and Peace or Else are two of the weakest tracks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Here's an example of songs that sound like they'll be the best on the first listen, but you later realize aren't that great later on.

Miracle Drug is extremely catchy at first, and I love the lyrics, but the more I listen to it the more I realize it isn't as good as most songs on the album. It's just so... standard. What's the draw? Anything special? Not really. It's about as standard as songs come, nothing really suprising in the slightest. And I'm sorry but the Edge singing seemed just silly to me. On the first listen I couldn't even tell it was him. Unless you know U2 really well, you'll think it's Bono. Anyways, this song just got boring after a while. Extremely standard with no suprises. Hard to explain. I really hope they don't make this a single, although I guess it'd be ok for radio. I love the Edge solos though.

Love and Peace or Else... I dunno what to say about this one. Something about it just doesn't seem right. First of all the lyrics kinda get on my nerves. I'm tired of songs about how everyone needs to love eachother, I'm sorry. Yes, it's a good message, but good messages don't always make great songs, especially when the message is presented in such a cliche'd manner. "Where is the love?" has got to be one of the most annoying lines in music. Every time I hear it it reminds me of that song by the Black Eyed Peas. NOT GOOD! I thought U2 were good enough to steer clear of lyrics this unaffecting. Everyone makes mistakes.

Also, the structure doesn't seem right to me. The structure is confusng. It's like verse, weird thing, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge.... NO more chorus!!! Not only that, but the second chorus is shorter and less powefull than the first. What the heck? I don't get it. This song just kind of sounds jumbled and confusing. The guitars are pretty cool though, and so are Bono's vocals.

The song that really came out and slapped me in the face was Crumbs From Your Table. I thought it was gonna be mediocre but it's turning out to be really awesome.

Last edited:
totally disagree with you about miracle drug! when i first heard it i thought what all the fuss about its ok but nothing brilliant but now i think its the best track on the album it has grown on me sooo much!

Miracle Drug nothing special? Only Edge and his incredible guitar playing give this song a five star grade.
Let me rephrase my point:
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

shart1780 said:
It's about as standard as songs come, nothing really suprising in the slightest. And I'm sorry but the Edge singing seemed just silly to me. On the first listen I couldn't even tell it was him. Unless you know U2 really well, you'll think it's Bono. Anyways, this song just got boring after a while..

:eek: :confused: :confused:

Miracle Drug is copy of Beautiful Day so it's not such a great Edge's guitar. It's standard, no question about it.
Love and peace or else probably the worst begining of any song but later on develops itself into a good song but not much better than Miracle Drug
Try to rate entire album by giving rates to all songs and then dividing with 11. You'll get over 3.6 to 4.2, I'm on 4.1.IMO
And you'll see that those two are weakest link, goodbye.
I gave them solid 3, which is better than almost entire Boy imo

I agree with you on Miracle Drug. I don't get what is so special about this song.

I'm not crazy about Bono's borrowing from the Black Eyed Peas either - very lazy and cliched, especially from the guy who wrote the great lyrics to Bullet the Blue Sky. But other than that one line, Love and Peace or Else is a fantastic song.

i've never heard Bono sing like he sings "the songs are in your eyes" . . . nor have i heard anything like the shouts of "Yeah" during Edge's solo. the atmosphere that the song creates is up there with Streets, Bad, and WOWY

Edge sings because he is the son and Bono is the mother. The whole song the mother is singing to the son. Until the son finally replies through the Edge. I know some people would rather have Edge keep his mouth shut and let Bono do the singing, but it is just not right in the context of the song.

Cheers,

J

good call jick!! i never realized that for some reason, but it makes so much sense. thanks for the insight. :)

everyone here has their own opinion about each and every u2 song.....

i wouldn't imagine that anyone would say Miracle Drug is one of the 2 weakest tracks on HTDAAB, but there you go....

in my opinion......Miracle Drug is the best song on the album ...nothing weak about it...it's a gorgeous anthem in the vein of One and Beautiful Day

Miracle Drug is brilliant, so much emotion in the way Bono sings that chorus. Edge's guitar work is amazing, the solo is perfect and bono's voice says "God, I need your help tonight..." then the guitar kicks in and Edge sings the next verse. Perfection. I does sound a little like B-day, but who cares? I loved Beautiful day so it's fine by me.

Love and Peace or Else is a good tune I can jam to. I love the beginning Industrial-like buildup and the music and guitar work is great, but the lyrics put the song in the middle for me on HTDAAB. I just don't like them, not very strong and I find the "we need love and peace" and "where is the love" lines rather cheesy. I do love the way Bono delivers the first verse though. It's become my new favorite work-out song, so I'm glad its there.

I wouldn't call Love and Peace or Else cheesy, although I get what you're saying. I don't think the song is intended to be seen in the same way as 'Where Is The Love?'. The lyrics aren't blunt enough, and are too obscure in places - I just see it as a simple protest song, but not one that should be taken too seriously, and not one that I think was intended to be take too seriously. I don't take the 'message' of the song too heavily. If it was being rammed down my throat, a la 'Mosh' or 'American Idiot', then maybe I would.

Love and Peace or Else is one of the greatest tracks since Achtung Baby.

And Bono wouldn't have to sing "where is the love?" if it weren't true.

anyone who can't tell that is the edge singing in miracle drug spends way too much time posting on this website and not enough time actually LISTENING to the music. by the way, i think that's one of the highlights of the album...edge's voice is great.

I love LAPOE, MD I like, but not as much. It's a u2 by numbers song in my book, but good all the same.

Why do songs have to follow conventional structure to be good? to me, the structure of LAPOE is what make's it so good. It's the most intresting and orignal track on the album.

bram said:
anyone who can't tell that is the edge singing in miracle drug spends way too much time posting on this website and not enough time actually LISTENING to the music. by the way, i think that's one of the highlights of the album...edge's voice is great.

*nods*

the part Edge sings is just perfect - the fact that it is in response makes the song so much better for me. I think it's clever - as Jick said, it's like the relationship between Bono/Edge is in there somewhere too.

Last edited:
Interesting opinions...
Mine...At first few listens I thought Miracle Drug was extremely catchy but incomplete in some way - I also didn't like the all too quick ending. After seeing it performed live on a clip I beleive was from British Television I can now see why it will be one of the best live song performances on the upcoming tour. As far as Love and Peace or Else goes...a much weaker Bullet the Blue Sky - still not a BAD track per say but just doesn't have that old fashioned "feel" of Exit or Bullet. Oh well, after 25 years they still write some great songs!!!

miracle drug seems not to be like beautiful day.........uh, totally different! i invite to wait for the live version of love peace or else......many, and i say MANY will eat their tongue!.........:wink:

Yes. The two best songs on the album.

MD's chorus is one of U2's most melodic. Sheer beauty. I would've liked Bono to sing that at least a couple more times at the end and the band to keep playing (but maybe live).

I like everything about LAPOE...even the "cheesy" love lyrics. Somehow, since we know Bono is not about BS (and he doesn't give a shit if people think he's being cheesy...he knows he's being true to himself), the "where is the love" doesn't sound forced or preachy. Advocating love as the answer will never get old (nor never not required...uh, you know what i mean).

Love and Peace Or Else is a great song. Miracle drug is also a good song, not great but still a good song.

Back
Top Bottom