I saw the U2 3D trailer today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
muh2o said:

What's limited about it? ...... By the time this film is released, there will be about 1,000 digital screens worldwide.

Well Done. U answered yer own question!
1000 screens WORLDWIDE capable of showing this? Kinda makes it limited dont cha think?

gman said:

Well Done. U answered yer own question!
1000 screens WORLDWIDE capable of showing this? Kinda makes it limited dont cha think?

I understand your perspective. I do. But no, I do not agree. A film opening in New York and Los Angeles only is considered limited. 1000 screens is hardly limited. And that number will be growing exponentially over time.

And when you compare that number to only 280 IMAX screens worldwide, that puts a lot in perspective. Even then, not every IMAX is capable of 3D.

Even if this film was released on standard 35mm, I have news for you, it would be a stretch to think it would be released on more than 1000 NORMAL screens. Most theaters are contracted to play a film for at least two weeks, with the film studio raking in 80% to 100% of the profits during that time. The longer a film sticks around, the rent declines, the more $$ the theaters see. Unless you live around a theater that has more than 12 screens, guess what, this film would be pushed out the doors in two weeks. Rattle and Hum lasted one full week, and then went to limited showings after that. I don't remember exactly, but it was out the door after week 2 or 3. Theaters themselves will consider that a loss. There are too many wide releases opening every weekend for a film like this to have legs. All of the fans will come out opening weekend to support it, but there is no way that the attendance holds up over two weeks. Assuming I'm right, theater owners will not be lining up to rent this film. They will put it in their large complexes, meaning large cities/towns, meaning there won't be a lot of prints manufactured.

U2 is actually quite brilliant. We've had our digital projector for about 6 months now. We've played a total of 6 films on that screen. That translates to about one a month. Assuming I'm right about the film declining after a short stint, U2 has actually guaranteed a longer stay at the theater because there will be nothing out there to replace it right away.

Look, I'm not here to argue about what constitutes "limited". Make your own conclusions I guess. Certainly you are going to agree it's limited if you are not near a theater that will be able to play this film. From the perspective of someone who's been doing this for a long time, 1000 screens ain't limited, especially when you consider the technology involved.

Releasing it only in IMAX would be a lot more limited than what they plan on doing.

Remember as well that there are not many theaters that have more than one digital projector. When you hear about a film like Star Wars being released on 5000 screens, that doesn't translate to 5000 theaters. My theater opened the last one on 7 screens. I understand that's not the norm, but you see my point. On average, Star Wars probably opened at 2000 theaters or so. So when you talk about 1000 digital screens, you are talking about the same number in terms of theaters. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Not knowing much about cinema set ups, al take yer word on it. Am thinking numbers here. thats all. And to a lesser, if slighlty selfish extent...........I cant see many ppl in Scotland getting the cahnce to see it.

gman said:
Not knowing much about cinema set ups, al take yer word on it. Am thinking numbers here. thats all. And to a lesser, if slighlty selfish extent...........I cant see many ppl in Scotland getting the cahnce to see it.

I sincerely hope you do.

I think it's a great move. Somewhat "limited," in that it won't be on every corner theater, garnering criticism for flooding the markets even more than they already do. Yet a big name project. Could essentially be a flagship project, the success (though likely "limited") of which could encourage the further development of Real-D theaters & technology.

We have neither IMAX nor RealD here so no problem with me. :wink:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

18 cinemas with RealD in asia and 17 of them are in Korea... :ohmy:

My local theater has the Real D :hyper:

This is how they describe it on their site

So what does it feel like to watch a movie in REAL D?

In a word, real.
REAL D's seamless perception of depth puts you in the thick of the action. Brings you face to face with your favorite characters. And opens up a world of perspective and detail so rich and lifelike you'll want to reach out and touch it.
With REAL D Cinema, you don't just see what's happening on the screen, you really feel it.

About the REAL D glasses

You need to wear glasses to enjoy a REAL D film. But these aren't your grandfather's 3D specs. The REAL D Cinema glasses are a lot like sunglasses. They are comfortable and cool-looking, and they provide a superior image to legacy red and blue anaglyph or linear polarized glasses. You can also keep them after the show!

Pioneering yet proven

To create the lifelife experiences provided by REAL D Cinema, REAL D uses the same 3-D projection technology trusted by NASA to monitor the space shuttle and pilot the Mars lander. The result is digital 3D at level of quality and comfort you have never seen before.

I went to that site and saw that one of the downtown Seattle theaters has this REAL D thing. Interesting.

I shall eagerly await the release date and keep my fingers crossed.

I saw Nightmare in 3-D five minutes away :love:

As for 3-D in the home...I have Spy Kids in 3-D...no the quality isn't good...but...it's still a DVD released in 3-D...maybe I'm confused though

OMG I am Hyperventalating. I have Loew theater hear in San Francisco and My home Town of Daly City which has this !!!! I will pay the money just to see the Trailer!!!!!! :drool:

Justin24 said:
Dammit I wish I could find out if they will include it or not!!!!

Call the theater and ask. If they are playing MTR 3D then it's possible they will include the trailer. I'm anxious to hear what they say.

There's like 6 Real D cinemas in the Twin Cities area :drool: That means at least one of them has to get this right? And, if that fails, there's another in Eau Claire...

perrypickwick said:

It seems that the film is going to be shown on RealD screens. RealD is a company that puts normal theaters into 3D-theaters. Right now there are more than 700 RealD 3D-theaters worldwide and at the end of the year it should be 1000 screens. It's growing all the time.

Very Sad: In Europe there are very few of these screens. In Germany only in Munich and Nürnberg - no Berlin:mad:

here you can see if a RealD cinema is near your place:

under the topic "find a theater near you":
http://www.reald.com/

Thank you for this link .
We have TWO thearters in our town :hyper: I missed Rattle & Hum in a theater , I"m not missing this !!!

onebloodonelife said:
There's like 6 Real D cinemas in the Twin Cities area :drool: That means at least one of them has to get this right? And, if that fails, there's another in Eau Claire...

Eau Claire has one? Eau Claire is somehow a big enough city to have one???

<-- is from Wausau

:wink:

corianderstem said:

Eau Claire has one? Eau Claire is somehow a big enough city to have one???

<-- is from Wausau

:wink:

:hi5: Apparently...it's in the Oakwood Mall. The only one in Wisconsin, I might add.

:lmao:

Yes, it does...I've only been there once or twice, because my grandparents live about 45min. from Eau Claire :D

There's a Real D theater about 5-10 miles from me and 28 in my state Georgia, and I didn't even know it till today, I rarely go to movie theaters and have never been to a digital 3D one, and you get cool glasses too :cool: :hyper:

:drool:

It's strange though, you know. I'm a little apprehensive about seeing this movie. I mean, it's not that I don't want to or anything, believe me I do, I was at the Melb 1 concert, it's just am I going to be going psycho in front of a bunch of people who think I'm an idiot and get kicked out by an usher within 10 seconds? Can anyone who saw Rattle and Hum in the movies share their experience?

COBL_04 said:
:drool:

It's strange though, you know. I'm a little apprehensive about seeing this movie. I mean, it's not that I don't want to or anything, believe me I do, I was at the Melb 1 concert, it's just am I going to be going psycho in front of a bunch of people who think I'm an idiot and get kicked out by an usher within 10 seconds? Can anyone who saw Rattle and Hum in the movies share their experience?

My friend is a HUGE Depeche Mode fan, and when DM released "Live In Milan" (either late last year or early this year, I can't remember), her and all her rabid DM fans went to the theater screening in Long Beach, CA.

And she told me that everyone was standing up in the movie theatre, a bunch were singing along, and her and her group were cheering and yelling and clapping.

So I'd say you'll be free to go all out! :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom