I saw the U2 3D trailer today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galeongirl said:

you're SHITTING me right??? :( please tell me this is a joke!

I live in holland and cannot afford to go to germany or england for a bloody movie! why isn't it in IMAX? at least we have an IMAX theatre in amsterdam! I can get there!

No, sorry. It seems to be really RealD who puts this film out. Also the trailer and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was shown on the Showest - two weeks ago - and in many articles it says "RealD" showed it. Like here for example:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961225.html?categoryid=16&cs=1

but I think there is a possibility that both, realD and IMAX, show the film. I think the version of "Nightmare before Christmas 3D" was also shown on both, am I right?

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:

but I think there is a possibility that both, realD and IMAX, show the film. I think the version of "Nightmare before Christmas 3D" was also shown on both, am I right?

Here's a line from the article:

"Film will play only in 3-D-capable digital theaters."

If this is accurate, then it will NOT be in IMAX. IMAX is not digital.

As someone mentioned earlier, there is a constantly growing list of theaters unveiling this technology on a monthly basis. Remember that not every digital projector has the ability to play 3D films. It must incorporate the REAL D technology in order to be able to show this particular film (from the sounds of it).

Last edited:
@muh2o.

I was the "someone" that mentioned that earlier.

It's just a line from an article - how many articles wrote something like "the U2 IMAX movie"? - many.
Now it seems that the film will only been shown in RealD Theaters. But they do not even have a distributor. Many things are possible. The cameras this film was shot, developed by Vincent Pace and James Cameron, were the same cameras Cameron used for his two IMAX-Movies.
Don't get me wrong: Now, I also believe that this film will only be shown on RealD screens but it's not impossible that they also make a IMAX-Version. I just have to hope - because here in Berlin we don't have RealD :sad:

Can you remember the shots - was it the indoor eclipse or do you had the feeling that this could be Buenos Aires? :wink: - how was the camera-work? Did they show all band members? and how long - seconds was the part the played Vertigo (daylight version?)?

I have to see it :drool: :drool: :drool:

the title is not very creative "U2 3D" - I think there will come a little bit more - they cannot call it U2 3D when the put it out sometime on DVD.

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:
But the IMAX here at Sony Center is a 3D IMAX, so I still have some hope :)

I have not so much hope - because here in Berlin they not even shown "Polarexpress 3D" or "Superman3D". And also not one full lenght 2D-IMax-film like "300" ,"Spiderman" or "Harry Potter". My hopes are not very high.

Perhaps we all have to activate RealD to come to our great cities
:wink:

E-Mail RealD:

info@reald.com

perrypickwick said:
here you can see if a RealD cinema is near your place:

under the topic "find a theater near you":
http://www.reald.com/
Thanks for the link... there are like five of these things in Melbourne! :hyper:

:hug: to those without RealD places nearby... hopefully it will be in IMAX too, or else somewhere nearby will get the technology by the time this film comes out!

Imagine the DVD... "U23DVD".... maybe people will think there's a DVD based on the "U23" EP... :giggle:

perrypickwick said:

Can you remember the shots - was it the indoor eclipse or do you had the feeling that this could be Buenos Aires? :wink: - how was the camera-work? Did they show all band members? and how long - seconds was the part the played Vertigo (daylight version?)?

My memory sucks, which is why I watched it four times :wink:

It was definitely outside. The elipse, or whatever you want to call it was a lot larger than the indoor version.

They did show all the band members. If I remember correctly, Larry was shown from the back stage view, so you could see him and the band from behind. Was interesting to see Larry in 3D from the back. There were closeups of Adam, Edge, and Bono. I remember Bono wearing a white headband, if that helps anyone.

The whole trailer was about one and a half minutes. I want to say it was equal parts Fly, and equal parts Vertigo. The coolest part was when there was nothing on the screen but all you could hear was Bono shout the Uno, Deus......and then the screen exploded into 3D mode. Goosebumps.

I hope for everyone's sake that it gets released in IMAX. I had no idea the hornets nest this was going to stir. So I apologize for that. My district manager was at Show West a couple of weeks ago and I will ask him if there was any mention of this being released in IMAX. I will let everyone know what I know when I know.

You know? :huh:

I will try to have more details about the trailer itself when I watch it again Thursday night! :drool:

Last edited:
thanks for the details muho2 :drool:

I can't wait to see this by myself.

That means of course the trailer not only shows 3D-pictures from Vertigo - it had also some images from "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Love and Peace" or "Bullet" (the white headband).
So or so it sounds really interesting.
I need to see this...
:huh:

I dont see it only being in these reald theatres as their is only 8 of them in all of Canada and all of them are located in Eastern Canada.

cool, there are a few realD theatres in this area. I think this would be awesome in the 3D Imax, the best of both worlds! I believe there is only one of those in Oregon, but I'd definitely drive quite a ways to see u2 larger than life and in 3D!

I'll probably go suffer Meet the Robinsons.
I was going to anyway cause rumor has it the POTC 3 trailer is attached to it as well.

Bono & Jack Sparrow :drool:

*sneaks off to the theater down the street*

you have to question the logic if it is being released on such a limited basis. Gotta also question if it will make it to DVD. Cant see 3 DVDS from vertigo tour making its way to public sale.

Perhaps U2.com will have the trailer at some point, it would make sense, after all (I just realized I used the words "sense" and "U2.com" in the same sentence, probably not my wisest move).

muh2o said:

Well, my understanding is that the projector retails for about $250K. I'll throw in the trailer and the glasses for free.:lol:

woo-hoo! 3-D glasses!

:wink:

gman said:
you have to question the logic if it is being released on such a limited basis. Gotta also question if it will make it to DVD. Cant see 3 DVDS from vertigo tour making its way to public sale.

What's limited about it? Many films are released on only a couple thousand screens every week. By the time this film is released, there will be about 1,000 digital screens worldwide.

This is not Star Wars. I know we're all excited about it, but even if my theater gets it, it will have a solid opening weekend, and then sputter. Look at Rattle and Hum. Same thing.

U2 is all about moving forward. Pushing the envelope. Presentation.

Opening a concert film with the latest 3D digital technology sounds like a road they would head down. Why settle for IMAX when you can show off on a flawless digital screen? I've seen IMAX 3D and I've seen Real D. There is a MAJOR difference.

That said, I still hope I am wrong because it would mean more people get to see it. But I don't think it will happen.

I do agree about it not making it to DVD. Do they even have 3D DVD? I claim ignorance on that one.

Last edited:
muh2o said:
I do agree about it not making it to DVD. Do they even have 3D DVD? I claim ignorance on that one.

Sony and Toshiba have been working on this for years but there were storage issues on standard DVDs, now with Blue-Ray and HD-DVD it can finally be possible...

Basically this big guy throws your TV at you... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom