I remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
3 years ago when everyone said one of the new songs was called Origin of the Species, and I said "no you wankers, it's Original of the Species" and everyone kinda looked the other way and whistled a lot like I was crazy, and then lo and behold 2 weeks later there'd be someone talking about "Origin of the Species" again.

Well you all got served!!!

Ha

SkeeK said:
3 years ago when everyone said one of the new songs was called Origin of the Species, and I said "no you wankers, it's Original of the Species" and everyone kinda looked the other way and whistled a lot like I was crazy, and then lo and behold 2 weeks later there'd be someone talking about "Origin of the Species" again.

Well you all got served!!!

Ha

Gheeesh! I totally agree. How people could mix those up again and again totally blew my mind.

Im sure in a copy of Propaganda, before the release of ATYCLB, it mentioned ORIGINAL Of The Species as a possible title. Along with Tough and Bulldozer.
So it must've been floating around for a while.

Aardvark747 said:
Im sure in a copy of Propaganda, before the release of ATYCLB, it mentioned ORIGINAL Of The Species as a possible title. Along with Tough and Bulldozer.
So it must've been floating around for a while.

I remember an interview with Bono in NME back in the early 90's where he used that phrase 'Original of the species' so it definitely been around a llooooonnngggg time

This forum is full of "I told you so" stories. For many years, I have been trying to get my point across about the POP fiasco of U2. The noisy minority who constitute the violent POP lovers never wanted to believe a word I said. And when U2 did new versions of the POP songs and did not include perennial POP-love favorites Mofo and Please on the Best Of 1990-2000 - I felt triumphant with a sort of "I-told-you-so" feeling. Nice to know you have your own "I-told-you-so" stories about that song title.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
This forum is full of "I told you so" stories. For many years, I have been trying to get my point across about the POP fiasco of U2. The noisy minority who constitute the violent POP lovers never wanted to believe a word I said. And when U2 did new versions of the POP songs and did not include perennial POP-love favorites Mofo and Please on the Best Of 1990-2000 - I felt triumphant with a sort of "I-told-you-so" feeling. Nice to know you have your own "I-told-you-so" stories about that song title.

Cheers,

J

Unnecessary.

It was around for a long time.. and so many kept constantly misquoting despite my best efforts at correction. It was wholly travestitical. My heart weeps.

As far as the whole Pop thing.. at least my told-you-so is right, and even objective. tons of reviews trashed the new best-of because of the "enlightening" things you mentioned, so.... i dunno. different spokes for different blokes.

But back to the topic at hand!

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
'Wankers' might have been a little harsh!

Yeah. I don't think I actually called them wankers. But damn do I regret it now. I was much less jaded and cynical then.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

What's that got to do with anything? They didn't include The Fly in the Best Of either, and that's undeniably one of their greatest songs from the nineties. Also, for what it's worth, I still like the original versions of the songs from Pop better than the remixes on the Best Of. That's my opinion and you can "tell-me-so" until you're blue in the face, but I'm not gonna change it.

Last edited:
Jaxx said:

What's that got to do with anything? They didn't include The Fly in the Best Of either, and that's undeniably one of their greatest songs from the nineties. Also, for what it's worth, I still like the original versions of the songs from Pop better than the remixes on the Best Of. That's my opinion and you can "tell-me-so" until you're blue in the face, but I'm not gonna change it.

Exactly. While not one of my favorite albums, I think the band is wrong about Pop and their attempt to rewrite history. Discotheque and Staring at the Sun were charting singles and should not be tampered with. Gone was never a single so I didn't care that they remixed it.

It's Jick. Jick will be Jick just as he is himself. Much like peanut butter is always at least somewhat peanut butter.

Back
Top Bottom