I need a Michael G. review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:

Oh, and Zig Zag, forgot to say.... I think if you took any of the best songs off the album and used it as the first single, this album would have been remembered for that song. Don't forget, The Unforgettable Fire is primarily remembered for 'Pride', since that was the big single from it. But generally from a fan's perspective, it is remembered for 'Bad'. That's all I was getting at (with 'One Step Closer').

Boy is most remembered for I Will Follow.
October is most remembered for Gloria.
War is most remembered for Sunday Bloody Sunday.
Unforgettable Fire is most remembered for Pride.
The Joshua Tree is most remembered for With Or Without You.
Rattle And Hum is most remembered for Desire.
Zooropa is most remembered for Lemon.
Pop is most remembered for Discotheteque.
ATYCLB is most remembered for Beautiful Day.

All of U2's albums, outside of Actung Baby, have been mostly remembered (song wise) for either their lead off track, or their lead off single. Many of which are one in the same. Don't look for this to be any different with Vertigo, especially with the gigantic exposure of the i-Tunes commercials and i-Pod

Actung Baby's first single, The Fly, isn't even close to the most remembered song off of U2's arguably biggest LP. Casual or hardcore fans alike would probably agree to that.

The only place "One Step Closer" will be the most remembered song off of "Bomb" will be within the select minds of the most hardcore U2 fans. If you took that song and made it the first single, the song, as well as the album, would severely flop. Singles HAVE to appeal to a certain demographic, regardless of how "good" or "bad" they are.

I'm not disagreeing with your review, I'm just saying that to think "Bomb" would be most remembered in the music world for the tracks you had listed would be silly. I can understand how you would say they're your favorite tracks, but I don't comprehend how you could think they would be the favorite tracks of even any sizable portion of the hardcore fans.

ZigZag, I would say that most U2 fans regard 'Bad' to be the defining moment of The Unforgettable Fire, simply because of the live performances alone...just as they generally do 'Streets' with The Joshua Tree. You're speaking of the general music fan, while I'm speaking of the U2 fan. As for 'One Step Closer', I never said anyone would remember the album for that one song. I simply said the following:

"....in a few years, possibly a few months, and maybe even in a few weeks from now, 'One Step Closer' will be regarded as the album's 'Heartland', its 'Running To Stand Still', its hidden treasure. This is Bomb's secret masterpiece."

I was just assuming it will become its hidden gem among the U2 fan base - an assumption which I think will prove to be spot on....though I might be wrong.

When I listed my classic tracks off the album, I did so in the same vein as I would for 'Running To Stand Still' and 'Bad' from their respective albums.

Zooropa's lead off single was 'Numb', not 'Lemon'. It is debatable which song that album will be remembered for, as many do remember it for 'Lemon'.

Michael G., thanks for reminding me why you're one of my favorites, here. You have a way with words.

I'm in complete shock about how great this album is. And I love OSC. I mentioned the RTSS comparison also, in another thread.

Thank you for replying. It seems I'm not your only fan. Afer A LOT of listens I can almost say it's the best album they ever recorder. It has everything...if they call it quits now it would be cool for me. It's like a blend of everything they've done but with all the maturity added to it. I dont skip any songs on this album and every track is a grower. It challenges....its complicated but at the same time easy to listen to.

It's all there....voila!

By the way, M. G., you should release a book....a novel.....a poem....you have talent. Use it.

To

Well this is all very interesting, you could say it's piqued my interest for the album, though I won't be hearing any of the songs till then.

I'm glad it sounds like a better album than Vertigo would suggest, cause just between you and me, Vertigo isn't all that great.

Michael, i'm not your fan in the sense that i've no particular reasons to be...but i've to thank you for your review...i've got the same feelings from hearing to this album so i feel very close to your words. Just think that Sometimes...deserves a bigger consideration from you...highly emotional...
One thing is sure: this album will not be remembered for "Vertigo"!!
Thanx again Michael

CICOLO - Yeah, I completely agree with you about 'Sometimes...' It is also a classic. I just didn't know it at the time of writing the review. It's definitely a grower, but now I feel the song in a fundamental way. I would add 'Sometimes' and 'Original of the Species' to my classics list. I can just see me eventually adding every song! haha

And Tony - thanks for the kind words, mate. I do write from time to time, and I loved taking creative writing classes when I was in college. Just got back from India last summer and did a travel journal on line, which is still there for all to read. By the way, Tony, Montreal is an amazing city! I would love to move there one day, just to experience it. My friend just moved there.

Roland of G. - BC is king.

Last edited:
One Step Closer will stand the test of time. It was my least favourite upon first listen, but it has climbed up to the top tier for me. it just sneaks up on you with its brilliance and subtelty.

people who say it is least interesting track should play it loud, in a dark room, and listen to it alone. it is truly beautiful

so Michael G is right - it is one of the classic tracks.

the only weak song on the album is probably Vertigo.

I have to admit, One Step Closer is really growing on me. I don't know that it will ever be able to touch old songs like
Running to Stand Still, but it is a very good track.

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your review. I'd love to read about your India experiences. I myself will be going to India, Nepal, and Tibet for nearly two months this summer.

Funny--in the review I posted under the general fan review thread, I said that "One Step Closer" is a song that the band could've had Johnny Cash sing, only this time they didn't, Bono wanted to speak for himself.

Great minds think alike.

Cheers on the review.

Michael,

I've been reading your posts for 4 years. You definetely have an eloquent way with words.

I haven't heard the album yet. But, I remember when rumours of Solar were bouncing around in January that you were adamant that you had a feeling we would be blown away by the new album. Maybe not in a rocking way, but I remember you saying something like, " Just you wait. This album will just blow you away"

After listening to the album do you still feel that way? Is this what you expected?

P.S.

Montreal is a great city but I'm looking at moving to BC next year. There isn't that great a market for English speaking journalists here!

elfyx said:
Hey Michael,

Thanks for your review. I'd love to read about your India experiences. I myself will be going to India, Nepal, and Tibet for nearly two months this summer.
Hey, that sounds amazing! I met quite a few people in Northern India (in Darjeeling to be exact) who had been to Nepal, Tibet, and Butan. I actually taught at a school run by a Gurkha from Butan. It's supposed to be incredible. Here's my journal:

http://www.indiamike.com/india/journal.php?do=view&journalid=2688

BonoManiac: The album is not the flat out rock album it was hyped to be, but it blows you away in a more subtle, beautiful way. It's not an obvious record, but it's a big record - and very intimate. It blows you away simply by its quality. 'Vertigo' is one of the weakest songs on the album, yet still a great song...just goes to show.

And I would have thought Montreal would have been great for journalism! Funny you say that, cause my friend is a journalist and is looking for a job there! Where in BC are you planning on moving to?

mwheelonh: Really? Yeah, glad I'm not the only one! I like how you put that - that Bono wanted to speak for himself. That sums that song up. It really reminds me of a song like 'Hurt', which was sung by Johnny Cash. It's got that kind of urgency.

Glad the rest of you are discovering the song's brilliance. The lucky ones are the people who'll discover it a year from now, much the same way I did with 'Running To Stand Still' and 'The First Time'.

I've got a request for anyone who'll help me out: Can someone please send me all the tracks from the album in HIGH bit rate?? I would love you all to death, seriously. Here's the email address:
dreamoutloudmikey@yahoo.ca

Thanks! :)

Michael G.

Thanks for the album review. can't wait to hear it.

As far as journalism, I've had my degree for almost 4 years now and I'm still freelancing on and off. As an English speaking Quebecer there ARE jobs just not that many available. So I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver or Victoria. Just a quick glance online proves there are more jobs available there.

But come to Montreal. It's cheaper! And you can't beat the beautiful women here!

I don't think Yahweh feels forced at all. I am actually surprised that the band slipped into the feel of it so well.

It has a swing to it that matches the lyrical content perfectly.

The only issue I have with the album thus far is that, I feel that CFYT should have more of an edge to it musically. The lyrics are some of the strongest Bono has ever penned, but the song is too beautiful.

That being said it is one of my favorite cuts on the album.

BonoManiac said:
And you can't beat the beautiful women here!
Truer words have never been spoken, my friend! I was in Montreal for a week back in my early 20s....wow...the clubs! I miss Montreal. I have to say though, women in Vancouver are quite amazing, too. They all have that glowing look, as though they just came back from a run around Stanley Park and had a dip in the ocean...probably because they did! :wink:

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of journalism degree did you get and where did you get it? I'm still considering all kinds of options right now...

You're right Michael. I've met many a BC woman and they're all very beautiful too.

As for my degree, I have BA in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal. It's a good program. Three weeks ago I attended a sports journalism workshop featuring the likes of Stephen Brunt, Bruce Dowbiggin and Scott Morrison from Sportsnet. So its all very interesting here.

Michael G. and Skeek you both are prolific writers. Thank you for your reviews. So many people in this board are so insightful. I am so in love with this new album right now...and when people point out something to me about a song that I did not realize, it just makes me love the song so much more.

Last edited:
BonoManiac said:
You're right Michael. I've met many a BC woman and they're all very beautiful too.

As for my degree, I have BA in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal. It's a good program. Three weeks ago I attended a sports journalism workshop featuring the likes of Stephen Brunt, Bruce Dowbiggin and Scott Morrison from Sportsnet. So its all very interesting here.
Hey, that's very cool. I wonder if those Sportsnet guys are even half as qualified as you! Probably not.... You know, it's funny you're considering Victoria...my friend who's looking for work in Montreal just moved from Victoria because she said there wasn't much work! I would highly recommend Vancouver.

And u2valleygirl - thanks for the props. I must say I completely agree with you: it's nice to hear other peoples insightful comments on U2 songs, things I never thought about myself. :)

Back
Top Bottom