I love White Stripes but can U2 live without bass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

I have been listening to White Stripes' new album, "Elephant" in the past few weeks and I absolutely love it! It is an amazing experience to listen to such songs like "Seven Nation Army" et al. It sounds so refreshing and so different....with just Jack White on guitar and Meg on drums but no bass. I read somewhere that other bands like The Thrills, Yeah Yeah Yeahs use the same set up.....guitars, drums and no bass...

Which leads me to think....I know im not gonna be popular in saying this here but what if U2 were to follow White Stripes and drop bass from its music....

Would it help produce a much more raw or rough sounding music or lose that very U2 signature which we are all familiar with through the years? What do you think?

Honestly, this is just a thought but I feel Adam is "the bind that keeps the U2 sound together" so I cant really see the band living without him ever, EVER.

But I'll just say that it would have been really interesting though if the sounds of U2 itself does not use bass at all. (Hmm I wonder what some of the old U2 songs would have sounded like without bass, hmm?)

dougal

I don't really have a well-thought out opinion here, dougal, but just wanted to say I :heart: the White Stripes!!

There is bass on the album. Seven Nation Army has bass, there are probably other songs. Maybe the majority don't but they aren't above using stuff like keyboards and junk... otherwise it would get pretty boring.

To me, some of U2's recordings sound like there is no bass playing or its so minimal that you don't pay attention or notice it. However songs like "Mysterious Ways", "With or Without You" need the bass b/c they are key parts in the songs...

I think U2 without Bass would weaken the songs in general b/c the Edge's guitar style/playing is more of background and textures...

Actually focused is the wrong word. I dunno, they have delved into dance rhythm music so much that I think its probably to difficult to let go of the bass. Adam would also be pissed to be left out. LOL. Also, I think one of the things that U2 has pointed out that was lacking in rock was the "roll". Too much "rock" not enough "roll."

no bass??
oh no way baby!
Of course it is just MY opinion but I think a bass adds a very specific and crucial color to the whole rock'n roll thing .. makes the sound richer, subtle and in times verrry sexy (if you wear that velvet dress)
I agre thatit might produce more raw music without a bass.. bt I actually don't really like this type of raw music, I get bored by it easily. I preferre it multi layered and in my definition of rock a bas belongs to the very base of it (rock) :)

In my opinion, each instrument adds sort of another dimension to a song. Without bass, a song does sound raw and different, which is one thing I like about The White Stripes. I'm wanting to call it a simplistic record, but I don't think that's the right word. I really like the new album though -- A very original approach. :yes:

As for U2, I think the bass is just too important a part of the band. The instruments and voices all compliment each other nicely to produce a full, 'complete' sound.

Flying FuManchu said:
There is bass on the album. Seven Nation Army has bass, there are probably other songs.
Actually, that's a baritone guitar. It's not quite as low as a bass guitar. As far as I know, there's no bass guitar on that album.

Anyway, it works for the White Stripes, which makes very raw records, but the bass guitar is a very important instrument for U2. It drives a lot of songs ("New Year's Day," "In God's Country") so the Edge can play much more intricate parts. U2 also makes beautifully textured songs, which the White Stripes, um, don't. They would be much less cool without Adam standing up there smoking something.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
The White Stripes would be better if they had a bass player.

Yep. That album had a lot of bass tones playing in it though... that's why a lot of critics praised it. They thought their previous sound was very one-dimensional without the lower sounds to accentuate the lead guitar. Maybe that's why Rolling Stone gave them 5 stars.

:eyebrow:

The White Stripes are great

but I love how the bass sounds, and really, sometimes you get to miss it

Whoa, I heard that it was a bass guitar on 7 Nation Army. I also looked up some info and I get everything from tuned down guitar to guitar with an effect. Either way, someone is playing a line that sounds like a bass line in that song. Must be imagining hearing bass in the other songs....LOL.

no bass in there or in any other white stripes track. it works for them. im really getting into them now, i think theyre good. i do like the strokes better though.

Back
Top Bottom