I love u2, but....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigloader

The Fly
I have to say that after just re-listening to each of them for the first time in a long time (and for a LONG time, for that matter), both "Boy" and "October" are complete crap! There's maybe one or two songs total that are good from this combo. It's amazing that they got past this, but thank god that they did! God bless them for growing and improving so much over the years. They are some lucky bastards.

bigloader said:
I have to say that after just re-listening to each of them for the first time in a long time (and for a LONG time, for that matter), both "Boy" and "October" are complete crap! There's maybe one or two songs total that are good from this combo. It's amazing that they got past this, but thank god that they did! God bless them for growing and improving so much over the years. They are some lucky bastards.

October is OK but Boy is brilliant. Out of Control, I Will Follow, Into The Heart, An Cat(can'r remember how to spell). Listening to boy now. Beginning to see why they're going back to it now in concert. Though I still want to hear WOWY more!

I think you're wrong and that Boy and October are pretty good albums, but I'm also kind of amazed the record label stuck with them through the early days, before they were making sing-along anthems and were mostly making gritty, indistinct records about, of all things, adolescence and God.

Compared to a lot of other major label debuts, Boy is kind of weak. I could see it getting some buzz on an indie label today, but it hurts to think how many potential U2s get dropped by the big labels (or never picked up) before they find their stride. I think Bono said something to that effect at their Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame induction.

So, yeah, they're lucky bastards, and so are we.

financeguy said:
I can't believe this guy hasn't been banned yet (check his previous posts).

Why am I not allowed to state my opinion? i wanted to see how many people may agree with me on this... I love everything that U2 has done from UF on, but i really think that these two albums are unlistenable. sorry. And please don't campaign against me because i do not have the same likes/dislikes as you. i enjoy this forum very much. It's the best place on the internet to get U2 news and to talk about them. Since I've picked up on the tone of the board, my posts have been fine, with the exception of a little dry humor here and there.... I still say that these two albums are rubbish and I'm standing by it. it doesn't make me any less of a fan. My girlfriend and I are practically fanatics and I couldn't pay her to listen to either of those albums straight through either.

Sorry. I'm a huge fan of Achtung, Joshua Tree, and Pop. i also love everything else that they've put out over that period including the last two albums, and for me, Boy and October hardly even sound like music, plus bono's voice on those albums leaves alot to be desired, although it is magnificent now.

Which album is worse? I'd have to give a slight nod to October. does anyone really like that album?

i've never really paid much attention to the early early stuff - i got into U2 in the late nineties and the albums that got then and which i still live off are JT and AB.

however with all the old stuff being played on Vertigo i wanted to see what the fuss was and have spent the past few days listening to the albums in chronological order start to finish - pretty much the first time i've REALLY properly listened to Boy and October and UF.

that said, i do think Boy actually rocks, it's a lot better than i previously thought it was hence the reason i'd pretty much ignored it. But having actually listened to it now, i think its a great album and I can see why they're going back to it live.

But i got to agree, October ain't that hot at all, i've listened to it a few times over the past day or so and i just haven't got into it like i suddenly have Boy.

the first few albums are all kinda on/off if you ask me

Boy: great
October: uh, not so great
War: great
UF: not so great again

and then (not countin R&H) its all good from there!

but then thats just my opinion you see
use it, dont use it.... :D

may someone explain to me why some people think we need to know their opinions? specialy when those opinions are express as matters of fact?
pease ? someone?

bigloader said:
Sorry. I'm a huge fan of Achtung, Joshua Tree, and Pop. i also love everything else that they've put out over that period including the last two albums, and for me, Boy and October hardly even sound like music, plus bono's voice on those albums leaves alot to be desired, although it is magnificent now.

I'd have to say that I preferred Bono's voice then to now. I think even he would be the first to admit it ain't what it used to be. Though it is much better now than on POPMART

Hmm I do like Boy pretty well actually, some of my favorites are on it. (Some not so much. Into the Heart? :crack: ) I'm loving the Boy sets on tour.

October.... eh, I never listen to it. There's one album I like less though. :shrug:

Last edited:
painatal said:
may someone explain to me why some people think we need to know their opinions? specialy when those opinions are express as matters of fact?
pease ? someone?

This is a discussion forum and posting opinions is a lot of what goes on here. Every member has the right to do that. And I believe he clearly stated that he is stating an opinion and not a fact.

Hopefully that clears it all up for you.

It's one of my favourites. October, Tomorrow, Fire, Gloria, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice, I Fall Down... awesome!:up:

Listening through the whole album at once is also a great experience.

neutral said:
Hmm I do like Boy pretty well actually, some of my favorites are on it. (Some not so much. Into the Heart? :crack: ) I'm loving the Boy sets on tour.

Octobe.... eh, I never listen to it. There's one album I like less though. :shrug:

which album is your least favorite? Probably one that I really like. :wink:

painatal said:
pease ? someone?

i believe the words "that's just my opinion" take away any doubt as to whether it was fact or not.

and what exactly is your opinion then on how opinions should be stated?
careful now... when you answer that make sure it doesnt sound like you're stating a fact.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Boy
5. War
6. October

There's my opinion.

is that bad to good or good to bad order...?

Last edited:
painatal said:
pease ? someone?
i don't think bigloader was expressing it as a fact. it'd be rather tiresome if everyone made a statement and said "imo october sucks" or "i think achtung baby is genius." :wink:

I'm not a huge fan of "October" myself. And I know that whenever polls are taken of people's favorite U2 albums, "October" almost always ranks at the bottom of the list.

However, "Boy" is absolutely stunning - I consider it one of the best debut albums ever released by a band. The songs, IMO, sound as fresh today as they did then. This is why "Boy" songs work in concert today so well.

I'm not much into the older stuff from the early eighties myself, but this current tour as now peaked my interest abit, for example i find myself now loving Electric Co,40,An Cat Dubh..which before i never payed attention too.
I say to each their own...you might not like something now, but maybe years from now you will hear it live or something will happen and that song will be playing and boom you make a connection and all of the sudden you love the song...its happened to me more then once especially with U2 songs ;)

Re: Re: I love u2, but....

GibsonGirl said:

Do you know what is complete crap? That statement.

Amen!!!

Boy and October rock. I never get tired of those albums. Man, have you ever seen Under a Blood Red Sky. I always break out in a sweat when I watch it. The energy is absolutely mind-blowing.

painatal said:
pease ? someone?

umm...because it's a message board and every post is merely someone's opinion. So without people expressing opinions there would be nothing here. And the for the thread starter the first two albums are crap. So it is a fact for him, but may not be a fact for you.

I remember liking both albums, but I haven't listened to them in years, maybe even a decade or so.

Back
Top Bottom