I love the Elevation tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I've been getting a craving for some Elevation bootlegs recently (most likely because I haven't heard much from the tour in months) and I've rediscovered how great it was. The atmosphere, great setlists (that weren't as fixed as Vertigo's were), plus Bono's voice has been on a roll ever since.

Tour highlights:

Discotheque
Night And Day
Please
Gone
In God's Country
Stay
Kite
Elevation (the only time the song has ever been good)
Walk On closing

Plus, the best versions of UTEOTW and The Fly to date. :drool:

I really can't see what the negativity over this tour is really all about. It made several of the weaker songs on ATYCLB sound good, and made the great songs better. Lots of gems, decent variety. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:
I really can't see what the negativity over this tour is really all about.

How about the fact it only lasted less than 1 year , began and ended up in the same place , and despite u2 sells pretty well in lot of countries , there was a still a finger up to Outside North America and Europe

Good reasons huh :wink:

And Yeah Edge Didn't play a single semi-acoustic guitar on it :madspit:

Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

J_NP said:

How about the fact it only lasted less than 1 year , began and ended up in the same place , and despite u2 sells pretty well in lot of countries , there was a still a finger up to Outside North America and Europe

Good reasons huh :wink:

And Yeah Edge Didn't play a single semi-acoustic guitar on it :madspit:

What does that have to do with what was actually played? :huh:

Would the same thing have been said about Zoo TV if they hadn't taken on the task of touring Australasia?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

LemonMelon said:

What does that have to do with what was actually played? :huh:

Would the same thing have been said about Zoo TV if they wouldn't have taken on the task of touring Australasia?

:eyebrow: Not sure I got the 1st line , I meant like personally my critics over the tour , The sound itself was good , but like I said there are my disappointments of the tour , and why I still hold it as the easily most forgotten of the 4 last tours

But ZOOTV was different , at least if they didn't do the 5th leg , they would still lasted more than 1 year , and not ended up in the same place . Besides that was in 93 , But now back in 2001 , Where things were already so global , to do a tour in only 9 months and visitin only Europe and 2 countries

Heck even ZOOTV visited Mexico , but Elevation no :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

J_NP said:

:eyebrow: Not sure I got the 1st line , I meant like personally my critics over the tour , The sound itself was good , but like I said there are my disappointments of the tour , and why I still hold it as the easily most forgotten of the 4 last tours

But ZOOTV was different , at least if they didn't do the 5th leg , they would still lasted more than 1 year , and not ended up in the same place . Besides that was in 93 , But now back in 2001 , Where things were already so global , to do a tour in only 9 months and visitin only Europe and 2 countries

Heck even ZOOTV visited Mexico , but Elevation no :shrug:

I think the most frustrating thing about the 9 month tour is that they didn't get a record out any sooner than they normally would. I cannot condone their touring schedule, and I don't understand why they couldn't at least throw Mexico a bone, but all of that notwithstanding...they played a hell of a tour.

PS: As an American, the lack of global touring does not particularly bother me, but as a bootleg collector it does. :|

Elevation Tour:drool:
Bad and I Will Follow from Boston :drool: :drool:

Their best tour, IMO. The set, Bono's voice, the songs, the opener, it had everything.
I wish I was a U2 fan during the tour. I'd kill to have seen it.

u2boy_nl said:

When did they play that?!

Full song, or just a snippet?

Snippet in Philly, 2001-06-12 in Beautiful Day.
But they did play a kickass version on the MusiCares awards show in 2003.

Elevation Tour was great, but the 3rd leg is the most boring show they ever did.

Kicking out by far the best songs and elements of the tour:

- amazing reworked version of The Fly
- best versions of Bullet apart from ZooTV with the intense Mark Chapman rant
- kickass rocking version of Gone
- 11 O´Clock Tick Tock (it was a bit slow, but Edge did some great solos)
- Mysterious Ways which had that cool guitar intro
- With or Without You when the Shine Like Stars became almost a regular (making it good)

And replace it with... Still Haven´t Found and Pride, fuck yeah! Same old tired versions.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Ground Beneath Her Feet as a highlight! :shocked:

I just listened to the Boston DVD all the way through...what a fantastic show. The Elevation tour at its near peak. :drool: Bono's voice sounds so sweet and soulful. :) Some amazing guitar from Edge too...

Bullet solo :rockon:

LemonMelon said:
great setlists (that weren't as fixed as Vertigo's were)

:lmao: Compare Elevation's third leg to Vertigo's. Vertigo's puts Elevation's to shame, except for the five night NYC stand. The only time Elevation does better is when you compare the European legs. Vertigo also had greater song variety.

I really can't see what the negativity over this tour is really all about.

Bono's voice was shit and most of the songs sucked. Plus, it really marked the start of Bono's excessive waffling. I can barely listen to Elevation bootlegs nowadays because half the songs sound so weak. I feel Vertigo was what Elevation should have been.

The Fly and Gone were ridiculously good, though.

Axver said:

:lmao: Compare Elevation's third leg to Vertigo's. Vertigo's puts Elevation's to shame, except for the five night NYC stand. The only time Elevation does better is when you compare the European legs. Vertigo also had greater song variety.

What system are you using for your findings? If you're comparing the amount of different songs played, of course Vertigo will come out on top since the tour had an extra two legs. :eyebrow: To be fair, neither were that exciting setlist-wise (and really, no U2 tour ever is). So let me ask you this; how would it turn out if you took three Vertigo legs and compared them to three Elevation legs? Which would have the higher amount of differentiating songs? (I really have no idea, but I figure you'd have the best clue)

Bono's voice was shit and most of the songs sucked. Plus, it really marked the start of Bono's excessive waffling. I can barely listen to Elevation bootlegs nowadays because half the songs sound so weak. I feel Vertigo was what Elevation should have been.

That's a matter of opinion, and I tend to disagree. Compare the Boston DVD vocals to any show from Vertigo leg 1, and it will come out on top. Bono's vocals were awful through about half of the Vertigo tour, but were amazing by leg 5. Come on, Ax; you couldn't possibly tell me that the floundering Bono we heard on leg 1 was anywhere near the level of the MSG, South Bend, or Boston Bono we heard during Elevation. :wink:

The Fly and Gone were ridiculously good, though.

That they were. :drool:

Wow, there are some real spoiled brats around here. How anybody could have a problem with the Elevation tour is beyond me. Bono's voice was shit? The setlists sucked? You've got to be kidding me. They were on fire this tour.

I seriously don't have any idea what some of you want from this band. You're living in the past and you'll never be satisfied.

Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

LemonMelon said:

What system are you using for your findings? If you're comparing the amount of different songs played, of course Vertigo will come out on top since the tour had an extra two legs. :eyebrow: To be fair, neither were that exciting setlist-wise (and really, no U2 tour ever is). So let me ask you this; how would it turn out if you took three Vertigo legs and compared them to three Elevation legs? Which would have the higher amount of differentiating songs? (I really have no idea, but I figure you'd have the best clue)

OK, let's compare the three 2005 legs, as it's essentially the same thing: two North American legs and a European leg.

On the first leg, despite Elevation having twenty-one more shows, it featured only two more songs than Vertigo's first leg did. On the second leg, again, Elevation wins by two songs, but this time, it wins outright as it had just one more show than Vertigo. Then, on the third leg, Vertigo absolutely dominates Elevation with ten more songs, but it had twenty more shows.

So let's compare like leg to like leg. The above comparison obviously holds for Europe: Elevation comes out only just ahead, but Vertigo's Europe stats are helped by four songs being played at Dublin III and only Dublin III. I've always said Vertigo's second leg stank for variety. Anyway, Vertigo's shorter North American leg was the first (29 shows), while Elevation's was the third (30 shows). Elevation comes out four songs ahead. But the really interesting comparison is the longer North American legs: both were fifty shows long, and despite people pointing out that Elevation's fourth night in Chicago puts the fourth and fifth nights of Vertigo NYC to shame, the Vertigo leg blows away the Elevation leg by twelve songs.

In other statistics, Vertigo also comes out ahead: all but one Elevation show was opened by Elevation, while Vertigo's opener varied, at least in 2005. And while Elevation essentially had just one closer (yes, I know Out Of Control closed three and One unexpectedly closed one when Bono left the stage and didn't come back for Walk On), Vertigo's was more variable - in fact, depending upon how you wish to interpret the statistics, Vertigo can be said to hold the record for the most different closers, or at least be tied with Popmart. On average, Vertigo's sets were longer too, especially when you compare any leg of Vertigo to Elevation's third leg, when 20 songs was an achievement. Vertigo also saw the band dig much more deeply into their back catalogue. So I definitely think it wins in terms of setlist variety.

That's a matter of opinion, and I tend to disagree. Compare the Boston DVD vocals to any show from Vertigo leg 1, and it will come out on top.

I couldn't disagree more. Just compare Bad on the Boston DVD to the performance at Boston II on Vertigo. Or compare the Boy songs: Bono was belting out The Electric Co. much more powerfully than he belted out Out Of Control/IWF/11OTT on Elevation.

Come on, Ax; you couldn't possibly tell me that the floundering Bono we heard on leg 1 was anywhere near the level of the MSG, South Bend, or Boston Bono we heard during Elevation. :wink:

I can't listen to most Elevation bootlegs because Bono sounds hoarse. Most Vertigo ones, first to fifth leg, are much more satisfying (though his voice was obviously weakened by the fourth). The floundering on the first leg of Vertigo was lyrically. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks for the stats, Ax; consider me owned. :drool:

I think comparing the later Vertigo voice with Elevation is a bit unfair since they have a completely different style and tone. Bono didn't "belt out" anything during Elevation, and I don't necessarily think it was because he was incapable. Notice how much his voice changed going into Vertigo leg 1-2...it was harsher and raw. The problem was that he was incapable of pulling it off the way he wanted to. By leg 5, he was in complete control of his new singing style. Plus, if you think about it, the higher, more soulful sound he had on Elevation fit the songs well, but would have sounded awful during Vertigo. That just shows how he continues to be such a great rock chameleon to this day. :drool:

LemonMelon said:
I think comparing the later Vertigo voice with Elevation is a bit unfair since they have a completely different style and tone.

I wasn't comparing later Vertigo with Elevation though; I compared first leg Vertigo Bad with first leg Elevation Bad and I think the Vertigo one comes up trumps, and when you take The Electric Co. from the first leg of Vertigo and compare it to Boy era songs on the first leg of Elevation, Bono's singing on The Electric Co. is much more powerful. I hate how weak Out Of Control was on Elevation, but on Vertigo, he pulled it off much better.

Plus, if you think about it, the higher, more soulful sound he had on Elevation fit the songs well, but would have sounded awful during Vertigo.

What higher, more soulful voice? I don't hear it. I hear an old, croaking singer. He was getting much higher with more strength on Beautiful Day on Vertigo. And, well, I can't say I take anyone seriously when they say 'soulful' on this forum any more, as there are people here who consider In A Little While's singing to be 'soulful'. :|

But I don't want to hijack your thread too much. Here's what I liked about Elevation:

- The glorious return of 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK! Imagine if that had been on Vertigo, it would have sounded so much better! :drool:
- Only full band Slow Dancing.
- ASOH popping up a couple of times.
- Totally reinvented Fly
- Regular Pop songs, especially Gone.
- Return of Out Of Control.
- Chicago IV and Boston IV's setlists.
- New York became a good song.
- Second best Bullet ever (ZooTV being the best, obviously).
- Bad --> 40 (snippet) --> Streets

WalkOnTheEdge said:
Wow, there are some real spoiled brats around here. How anybody could have a problem with the Elevation tour is beyond me.

I think what I pointed out is pretty damn solid

But lemme make things clear , I did like a lot the elevation tour of course , it was another u2 tour , I'd take it over anything else absolutely ..... don't confuse me like those radiohead or another thing fans fella that pose as fans and hit the band over and over

I say without doubt that since Joshua Tree , every tour of u2 has never been topped IMO , but of course like I said I fell personally bitter by what I already said , by what a tour it could've been and it wasn't , and things like :

- I never could enjoy the original version of Elevation tour , it's all taste , but I could only really enjoy it on Vertigo
- I found the New Fly good and well done the attitude , but never touched me like with 2 guitars , Edge singin
- I still hope to find a version of One I really liked
- The short sets

Of Course I must praise what it deserves

-Great Version of Streets
-U2's best ending at that date : Walk On
- In A little While , Ground Beneath her feet , Stuck
- Some Pop songs continued on the set , The Only Electric Version of Please was very well done
- Slow Dancing , How I love that song
- The few appearances of Sort of Homecoming

But in the end What I say is , Look back at 4 last tours , besides the shows itselves , the production , the moments people will remember the most

ZOOTV :

-The shows Bono called the WH , asked for pizzas .....
- Half of ABBA joinin them in Stockholm
- The legendary Outside shows , which resulted the Fox Special
- The Sarajevo Links
- Macphisto , The zooropa shows like the London Nights , the Dublin last show
- The Zoomerang Leg , Adam missing a show , The Sydney Video

PopMart :

- The bad opening
- 150.000 in Italia
- The Sarajevo Show
- Mexico's Video
- U2 1st time in South America
- Again in Pacific , and ending in South Africa Makin it the 1st very world tour

Elevation :

- The Solid Beginning
- The Boston Show - DVD
- The European Leg in Arenas then coming to few Stadiums ;
Bono's father passing away and the effects on the shows ; The victorious ending in Slane
- The 3rd leg and the emotion in US

Vertigo :

- Another positive beginning
- The Chicago DVD
- The 2nd leg with another Stage , different show , Vertigo beginnin and ending
- The 3rd leg with the shows connected to Katrina , changes in the set , The week in NY
- The return to Latin America
- The late 5th Leg , Return to Pacific , With the additions of Kite , One Tree Hill , WiTS

In a nutshell , like I said the other countries have more things to remembered , without mention the number of persons who could watch it

Elevation:

I only saw 2 shows, but in those 2, as well as the staples I got:

Ground Beneath her feet
Sweetest thing
Gone
Bad (twice)
Mysterious Ways
Out of Control
Please
Desire
Wild Honey
In a little while
Angel of Harlem
Even better than the real thing
Still haven't found

Best version of the Fly ever

Minimal Bono preaching

Classic Streets

No watered down Bullet (time to drop this one)

No Doubt as an opening act

I think Elevation was a good tour, it was pretty stripped down -- no real message, or parody... just the band enjoying themselves, as they hadn't. Bono not taking himself so seriously as he did in POPMart... and playing the POP material was iffy... but hearing 11 O'Clock Tick Tock played again was really something...

I think Elevation found them experimenting, that if this tour didn't go well, they'd have called it quits. But really it was the beginning of something big...

toscano said:
I only saw 2 shows, but in those 2, as well as the staples I got:

Ground Beneath her feet
Sweetest thing
Gone
Bad (twice)
Mysterious Ways
Out of Control
Please
Desire
Wild Honey
In a little while
Angel of Harlem
Even better than the real thing
Still haven't found

How can you say songs like Mysterious Ways, Desire, and ISHFWILF aren't staples? :huh:

Minimal Bono preaching

I know people like to say Elevation was less preachy than Vertigo, and it didn't consistently have as much, but I think the longest Bono speeches in my collection are from Elevation. I know there were a couple of nights with monster pre-One speeches, longer than Vertigo ones.

I missed the Elevation tour due to family reasons, (so you know it must have been big enough for me to miss it.)

But, oh how I wish I was there after seeing Boston Elevation.
I so regret not being able to go, one of the only tours I have missed. :sad:

Axver said:

How can you say songs like Mysterious Ways, Desire, and ISHFWILF aren't staples? :huh:

Because on that tour they weren't. I don't think ISHFWILF was played even once on the 1st leg, Mysterious ways was a rarity in the 3rd leg

Axver said:

I know people like to say Elevation was less preachy than Vertigo, and it didn't consistently have as much, but I think the longest Bono speeches in my collection are from Elevation. I know there were a couple of nights with monster pre-One speeches, longer than Vertigo ones.

Only speaking about the shows I saw. Vertigo was a ton more preachy. Also, there wasn't the time-wasting of the human rights thingy. All very admirable, all very snooze-fest, they could have fit in another song.

Most egregious faux pas, fucking with Streets on Vertigo.

toscano said:

Because on that tour they weren't. I don't think ISHFWILF was played even once on the 1st leg, Mysterious ways was a rarity in the 3rd leg

Mysterious Ways was played at the majority of Elevation's shows, though you're quite right, it largely went MIA on the third leg (5 appearances at 30 shows).

ISHFWILF was played once on the first leg, not at all on the second, and at every show on the third.

Though I did interpret your post in a more general sense, e.g. ISHFWILF may have been a rarity for the first two legs of Elevation, but since its release, it has pretty much been a staple of U2's live shows.

Also, there wasn't the time-wasting of the human rights thingy. All very admirable, all very snooze-fest, they could have fit in another song.

Yeah, agreed there. I'm not too critical of that as I suppose it wasn't too irritating if you saw it just once, but after a couple of shows, I was really getting bored by it and felt the band should be on stage instead.

Last edited:
WalkOnTheEdge said:
Wow, there are some real spoiled brats around here. How anybody could have a problem with the Elevation tour is beyond me. Bono's voice was shit? The setlists sucked? You've got to be kidding me. They were on fire this tour.

I seriously don't have any idea what some of you want from this band. You're living in the past and you'll never be satisfied.

I disagree with every sentence in this post.

1. Because I dislike one U2 tour, I'm a spoiled brat? That's a bold statement, a bit insulting, and definitely single-minded.

2. Well, for the reasons mentioned already, like relatively poor performances, especially from Bono's voice.

3. Yes, Bono's voice was shit, worse than any other U2 tour except Popmart. Popmart still packed a lot of punch, a punch that only came through in certain songs on Elevation like Walk On, Stuck in a Moment, and Kite.

4. Yes, the setlists sucked in comparison to Vertigo.

5. I think the Elevation Tour served its purpose, but it still pales in comparison to other U2 tours.

6. Why am I living in the past? I like Vertigo better than this tour too. I am satisfied with most of what U2 does. Just not this.

You've got to have something you don't particularly like that U2 has done. What if I called you a spoiled brat who's living in the past and will never be satisfied? It would be the same.

Let's refrain from taking one disagreement into a forum for baseless accusations, shall we?

The Elevation Tour will always be a special tour for me. I popped my cherry on that one. That is, I finally got to see U2 live for the first time. :wink:

I think the Irving Plaza promo gig stands out as one of the best ever recorded shows ever. From any tour. Seriously. I listen to this little gig a lot. Bono sounds incredible and the band really plays a killer show. And while I would say I favour the Vertigo Tour for more "wow" factors, I never ever listen to Streets or One from any Vertigo bootleg. Those are songs I go to the Elevation Tour for. Especially Irving Plaza's One with Walk On snippeted.

I enjoyed the elevation gigs I went to. Saw Out of control and 11 o'clock tick tock played, and the best live version of the fly i've ever heard.

Elevation Tour Boston is THE live show i listen to. It has the majority of my favourite songs in it, Bono is sounding awesome and it made me cry like a little girl when i bought the DVD and saw what i missed.

Still holds the biggest spell over me.

But i still give :up: :up: to the vertigo tour, absolutely blew my mind, i think the 5th leg was definately the best of all 5. We were just lucky! :D

Back
Top Bottom