I love the Elevation tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Axver said:

Bono's voice was shit and most of the songs sucked. Plus, it really marked the start of Bono's excessive waffling. I can barely listen to Elevation bootlegs nowadays because half the songs sound so weak. I feel Vertigo was what Elevation should have been.

The Fly and Gone were ridiculously good, though.

What was lost in vocal ability was made up in pure emotion from the beginning of that tour to the end. It was U2's 'comeback' tour (if you want to call it that) and they took it to task to put on the best show they possibly could.

Regardless of where the tour went, the setlist (see Zoo TV) or how bad Bono's was (or wasn't) it was one of U2's best, most emotional tours ever. The shows after September 11th were among the most powerful shows U2 have ever done.

I absolutely loved the 1 Elevation show i saw :heart: :dance: :bow:

It was totally awesome watching everyone go crazy&bounce around when Bono walked out to start up singing Elevation! :rockon:

It was such a show starter&i absolutely loved that heart shaped stage :heart:

I so felt for Bono with losing his dad days before too :sad: :hug:

about the preachy... Notredame's ONE, if you go to the bootleg, it's 10 minutes... 5 is Bono talking... but then again.. is the 1st show after 9/11, so that was something to expect... (BTW, that's the only ONE live I absolutely love... the violins, the emotion... no other ONE can make it.. maybe Santiago 98)

and I kinda liked Elevation...
it had Disco/Sats :drool:
Even Better... on great nights (like Chicago IV and Boston IV)
Gone (I still don't know what's the fuzz around this one... )
New York live was ANOTHER song
Kite was beautiful
Wild Honey acoustic :love:
Please acoustic
Out of Control (see Slane)
Beautiful Day opening on Notredame :drool: (they should've opened with that ALL THE TIME)
Walk On closing (best closer ever... first time it's not a "downer")
11 O'Clock for the lucky ones

and i really, really loved that half screen... specially for MW

Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Reggie Thee Dog said:
What was lost in vocal ability was made up in pure emotion from the beginning of that tour to the end.

I think that's Popmart Sarajevo, not the Elevation Tour. :wink:

The shows after September 11th were among the most powerful shows U2 have ever done.

Those shows make me cringe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

LemonMelon said:

It's one thing to express sympathy. It's another thing to kiss arse.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Axver said:

It's one thing to express sympathy. It's another thing to kiss arse.

Would you consider the Sarajevo fixation they had "arse-kissing"?

I prefer Elevation. It had more emotion, and far less staging. All of Bono's political and social ramblings really put a damper on the Vertigo Tour. Elevation was a great rock n roll show. Vertigo was a production. Plus, the songs from ATYCLB are stronger as a whole than the HTDAAB songs. Just my opinion.

Caroni said:
I´m the only one that does not knows what a bootleg is ? :reject:

It's an unofficial, fan recording of a concert. They can be audio or video.

They're fun to collect ... gotta catch 'em all! :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

LemonMelon said:
Would you consider the Sarajevo fixation they had "arse-kissing"?

No, of course not. The two are not even comparable, either in terms of the incidents that prompted U2's reaction or in how U2 responded.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Axver said:

No, of course not. The two are not even comparable, either in terms of the incidents that prompted U2's reaction or in how U2 responded.

:rolleyes:

I'd say that having a satellite uplink to a country and talking to its people every night in the middle of a concert would be a worse kind of flogging than wearing a flag jacket and saluting a country. But that's just me.

I wouldn't consider either one arse-kissing at all. I don't know why you would either. Both countries were in disarray, and U2 did their best to notice both of them. That ain't arse-kissing, that's sympathy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

LemonMelon said:
:rolleyes:

I'd say that having a satellite uplink to a country and talking to its people every night in the middle of a concert would be a worse kind of flogging than wearing a flag jacket and saluting a country. But that's just me.

I wouldn't consider either one arse-kissing at all. I don't know why you would either. Both countries were in disarray, and U2 did their best to notice both of them. That ain't arse-kissing, that's sympathy.

Oh, come now. Let's see. Bosnia-Herzegovina was ravaged over a number of years by a vicious war that involved acts of genocide and resulted in over 100,000 casualties. 11 September 2001 featured a terrorist attack in four parts that took only a fraction of the amount of lives that were taken during the Bosnian conflict.

Now, during the Bosnian conflict, in the middle of the show, U2 did a satellite hookup to try to bring the war to the world's attention as it was ongoing (did 11 September 2001 drag on even two days, let alone over two years? Was it being overlooked by the world?), and that was it for the entire show. Then on Popmart, they played one concert in the country. In comparison, for the length of the entire tour leg, Bono was paying tribute to the US, and not just once during the show either. Bono, we get the hint, you wish you were a bloody Yank.

Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Reggie Thee Dog said:

What was lost in vocal ability was made up in pure emotion from the beginning of that tour to the end. It was U2's 'comeback' tour (if you want to call it that) and they took it to task to put on the best show they possibly could.

Regardless of where the tour went, the setlist (see Zoo TV) or how bad Bono's was (or wasn't) it was one of U2's best, most emotional tours ever. The shows after September 11th were among the most powerful shows U2 have ever done.

I would consider Elevation Bono an improvement over the Popmart Bono voice.

Yes, 3rd leg shows were very emotional, as were Popmart S. America or Sarajevo shows.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Axver said:

Oh, come now. Let's see. Bosnia-Herzegovina was ravaged over a number of years by a vicious war that involved acts of genocide and resulted in over 100,000 casualties. 11 September 2001 featured a terrorist attack in four parts that took only a fraction of the amount of lives that were taken during the Bosnian conflict.

Now, during the Bosnian conflict, in the middle of the show, U2 did a satellite hookup to try to bring the war to the world's attention as it was ongoing (did 11 September 2001 drag on even two days, let alone over two years? Was it being overlooked by the world?), and that was it for the entire show. Then on Popmart, they played one concert in the country. In comparison, for the length of the entire tour leg, Bono was paying tribute to the US, and not just once during the show either. Bono, we get the hint, you wish you were a bloody Yank.

Gotta agree with Axver

No offense , but when people say that post NY attacks were poweful shows , are u sure that Non-Americans view as this as well ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Axver said:

Ax, that is one of the most jaded responses I've ever read from you. You are not American, you were not in America when 9/11 occurred, you most likely weren't even old enough to understand the severity of what happened that day, nor did you attend any American Elevation shows so you can not accurately comment on U2's reaction to their American audience or our reaction back. If you were not at the show's you have no idea what it was like to be there and to see the 'real' emotion of those shows.

Their reaction to Bosnia is no different than their reaction to 9/11. That response sounds more like petty jealousy (the U2 did not tour Australia during Elevation) than a real, thought out reason.

Yes I agree Bono was over the top in some cases (especially the Superbowl) but his heart was in the right place and I, for one, never doubted that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

J_NP said:

Gotta agree with Axver

No offense , but when people say that post NY attacks were poweful shows , are u sure that Non-Americans view as this as well ?

Who cares what non-Americans think regarding this? I was there at the show...I felt the emotion, I saw people with tears in their eyes and saw how the emotion of what happened a month or two months earlier affected them.

If you weren't there you don't understand what it meant for U2 to come and play and offer some sort of sympathy and support to us. Just like it meant a lot to the Bosnians. Like even after all the catastrophic events life was going to go on afterall.

Again J, along with Ax your comments are jaded and insulting to the band and a lot of their audience. Sorry you couldn't experience it that, but don't hold against us.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Who cares what non-Americans think regarding this? I was there at the show...I felt the emotion, I saw people with tears in their eyes and saw how the emotion of what happened a month or two months earlier affected them.

If you weren't there you don't understand what it meant for U2 to come and play and offer some sort of sympathy and support to us. Just like it meant a lot to the Bosnians. Like even after all the catastrophic events life was going to go on afterall.

Again J, along with Ax your comments are jaded and insulting to the band and a lot of their audience. Sorry you couldn't experience it that, but don't hold against us.

:up: Great post. Dead on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the Elevation tour

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Look Reggie , I think u didn't got it right ..... Or I misexpressed , what I say is I of course Understand those shows , to ur country's people , specially the friends or relatives of the victims ....... I respect and sympathize that . But what I would like to leave clear , is like the Sarajevo show is something powerful in terms of global , coz a lot of different parts people were there , Like I just can feel much more for Sarajevo , coz at that time they had no one to support them No Influential government or no super army , the people had suffered arguably much worse

And look , I am not going to sound like a hypocrite , I feel sorry for what happened at that day , I do understand the severity of what happened that day severity , specially because of those innocent victims , but what I find disgusting is the whole world felt that episode , but tell me how many understand the Severity of what happened in lot of places ?

Like South American during the Dictatorships , Vietnam and many other things . It's a shame many don't understand or don't have idea of the atrocities the US government have made , only worse than this is that your people had to pay for it

I found great U2's attitude , and was proud they were the 1st one to play NY , but U see sure they wrote Bullet but that's it , I just wish one day they could play in Vietnam just like they did in NY . And Bono was great in attackin Pinochet in Chile 98 , but why didn't he do the same with CIA ? And all those who put him and other bloodkillers in Latin America ?

Last edited:
Look J, I respect and understand your posts. I definitely was overreacting to the other anti-American sentiment that permeates through here occasionally.

You make some good points in your post, there are a lot of atrocities in the world today. We, as Americans, are priveleged to live in a society that does not tolerate or allow such cruelties on our own shores. Our government, past and present has been the bearer of many bad decisions and policies that have affected, injured, tortured and killed people all over the world, so I'm not blind to that.

However, in regards to the power of the U2 shows on the third leg of the Elevation Tour, you nor Ax can comment with any knowledge, because you were not 'physically' there. Bootlegs don't count for shit, because a recording cannot convey the emotions and excitement of being there. That is my point.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

However, in regards to the power of the U2 shows on the third leg of the Elevation Tour, you nor Ax can comment with any knowledge, because you were not 'physically' there. Bootlegs don't count for shit, because a recording cannot convey the emotions and excitement of being there. That is my point.

And that is a good point , and yeah u're right

But finally lemme somethin clear , I am indeed bitter that elevation only lasted that and only toured those parts , but this affects my decision on a whole of the tour , not only regarding the 3rd leg

Anyway finally what I can say , great the boys were there on that time and could help people with their shows , I mean In a time like this u could only ask for somethin good to come and help with it all , specially if it was people's favorite band

Back
Top Bottom