I love my Sweetest Thing singles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
...especially the one with Stories for Boys and Out of Control live from Boston, March 6th 1981. Really love it, the songs sound so fresh and the boys so full of energy. I wish I were there...But, as I wasn?t there I did some research.

This is taken from the book I?m currently reading, Carter Alan?s The Road to Pop, about that specific performance, pages 30 and 31.

Warning: long post ahead

"Flush with the success of these shows, U2 pulled into Boston on March 6 for the fourth stop of its tour. Steady airplay and a strong word-of-mouth reaction to the group?s memorable appearance in december had quickly sold out U2?s return to Paradise, prompting the addition of an early show which had also sold out. It was obvious to Warner Brothers and Paulo McGuinness that, with over a thousand people attending the group?s first headlining concerts in Boston, the city had become one of U2?s strongest bastions of support. It made sense to use the Paradise as the location for Warner Brother?s planned recording of a U2 live show. The resulting tapes would be pressed into an album as part of the "Warner Brothers Music Show" series, which was sent to radio stations across the country. It was hoped that the program would acquaint radio programmers and their audiences with U2?s prowess in concert and heighten interest in the band.

U2?s first Paradise show was a superb rush of energy and excitement, ably captured on tape by Sam Kopper, a former WBCN dis jockey who ran his own mobile recording studio called Star Fleet. The performance got off to a shaky start when Larry?s bass drum pedal broke after the first song. But Bono didn?t let the potential disaster upstage the band, filling the repair time with comments, including a playful poke at having to do two sets in one night. "Only show-bands with guys in red suits who are balding have to do that back home!" Oncethe problem was fixed, U2 quickly worked up to full steam again, with the instrumental unit holding tight around Bono-s spirited singing. Between songs the singer took the opportunity to salute the Boston groups he knew, including the evening?s opening act, La Peste, and also Mission of Burma and Someone and the Somebodies. When they were called back onstage for an encore, the band members took their places as yells for "Out of Control" dominated the uproar. U2 complied, with Bono?s introduction and Adam?s bass pulse setting off a riot of cheers. After leaving the stage, the dazed foursome was called back again by a continuing tumult from the audience. U2 used the unexpected opportunity to perform "11 O?Clock Tick Tock" and "The Ocean" once again."

Okay, now about the first lines I highlighted. I would like to know what happened to the whole recording. Why wasn?t released as a live album, as Carter Alan said? Or did I get something wrong? Can anybody enlighten me on this issue?

And the second part I highlighted describes exactly what can be heard in Out of Control, pay attention and you?ll see. Or hear.

smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

follower:

This was indeed released as an L.P. radio show known as "Two Sides Live Warner Brothers Music Show #117" in April, 1981, not long after the show itself.

I too have wondered for many years why they do not commercially release the entire show, although we have gotten bits and pieces of it on various CD singles, 7 inches, and magazine promos through the years. It would be a nice treat. Here are the details from Patrice Bruhat's U2 Discography site:

Tracks: The Ocean \ 11 O'clock Tick Tock \ Touch \ An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart \ Cry/The Electric Co. \ Things To Make And Do \LP\ Stories For Boys \ Twilight \ I Will Follow \ Out Of Control \ 11 O'clock Tick Tock \ The Ocean
Catalog number: (LP \ WBMS #117 \ US \ black and red custom sleeve with 7 page information sheets)
Recorded live from: (Paradise Theater, Boston, Massachusetts, March 6, 1981)
First broadcasted: (10-12 April 1981 by College radio stations)
Comment: (many bootlegs exist, Original matrix number is on side A : WBMS 1-117-S1+SLM+638B-15623 and on side B: WBMS-2-117-S1+SLM+638-XB-15624)
(The "SLM" is a stamp. There is a triangle before each "638". Between the "638" and the "B-15623", there is a very tiny stamp that looks like the small letter "a" with the warner brothers "W" inside of it)

from www.u2-discography.com under "Radio Promos" then LPS & cassettes.

~U2Alabama

Thank you Bama. I don?t have many singles from the early years so I didn?t know that some tracks recorded in that show had already been released.
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Originally posted by follower:
U2 used the unexpected opportunity to perform "11 O?Clock Tick Tock" and "The Ocean" once again."
too bad they don't do that anymore (useing songs from he main set for their encores) I would love to see how the setlist police in "Departing from gate U2" would react
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Bono makes reference to this show on the Elevation DVD during I Will Follow.
"Twenty years ago...a club called Paradise..."

MAP

Originally posted by follower:
Thank you Bama. I don?t have many singles from the early years so I didn?t know that some tracks recorded in that show had already been released.

The "Fire" (R.O.K.) CD single has "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" and "The Ocean" and the 7 inch added "Cry" and "The Electric Co." whilst NME's Dancing Master Giveaway Cassette featured "Into the Heart" and "An Cat Dubh," and the "Gloria" 7 inch single featured "I Will Follow."

The only ones I have are the 2 "Sweetest Thing" singles you have and the "Fire" R.O.K. CD single.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 01-11-2002).]

Thanks again Bama...I have a lot to learn about the American history of U2...and I'm learning with this book...and with you all.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 01-12-2002).]

Well, unfortunaltely for me, the NME Express cassettes AND the "Fire" 7 inch double pack were both UK releases, so I don't have them and probably never will. But these days with the internet and easy international commerce I try to purchase such gems whenever they are released, an expensive habit I confess.

~U2Alabama

I believe the "Another Time, Another Place" boot was taken from the master tapes of the Paradise show. I A/B'd the single
from "Sweetest Thing" with the boot (and mine is a cdr copy) and I couldn't tell a difference in sound...

Back
Top Bottom