I know most of you rely on Interference for your daily intake...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2

Refugee
So, here is the skinny on a CNN.com article about Mr. Hewson.

Talk about odd couples -- Paul O'Neill, the ramrod straight, silver-haired Republican treasury secretary, and Bono, the shaggy-haired, Irish rock star with the wraparound sunglasses.

O'Neill, Treasury secretary ...
They are pairing up, not for the summer concert circuit, but a 10-day tour of some of the most destitute countries in the world in sub-Saharan Africa.

The idea for the tour, which will make stops in Ghana, Uganda, South Africa and Ethiopia, was hatched after an initial meeting in O'Neill's office a year ago, a discussion O'Neill says he was first very reluctant to have.

"I said, 'He just wants to use me and I don't have time for this,"' O'Neill recounted recently. He relented and agreed to a 30-minute meeting, which expanded into a 90-minute brainstorming session with O'Neill coming away impressed at the depth of Bono's knowledge and commitment.

"He understood economic theory and he understood the impact of colonialism. He knew what it was like to go into an HIV-AIDS clinic and see three people in a bed all dying together and care about it and know it doesn't have to be that way," O'Neill said.

... and Bono, rock singer
Bono's concern about Africa dates back to 1984 when his rock band U2 participated in concerts to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia. Bono and his wife spent six weeks working in an orphanage in Ethiopia to learn first-hand how bad conditions were.

Since then, he has become a tireless advocate for Africa, first in a lengthy campaign to get the Group of Eight top industrial countries to provide greater debt relief for the world's poorest countries and now as the founder of Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa (DATA).

"I am a pest. I am a stone in the shoe of a lot of people living here in this town, a squeaky wheel," Bono said after an appearance with President Bush back in March when the president announced a program to boost U.S. development aid to $40 billion over three years, an increase of $10 billion over current projected U.S. support.

However, the administration's proposal, dubbed the Millennium Challenge Account, comes with strings -- a demand that the money be given only to countries that are working to eliminate corruption and reform their economic systems.

O'Neill has been a major proponent inside the administration for this tough-love approach, contending that trillions of dollars in aid has been wasted.

Bono, who was a favorite of the Democratic Clinton administration, has proven adept at working in more conservative times.

Earlier this year, he traveled to Africa with Republican Sen. Bill Frist of Tennessee, a surgeon. Frist has now teamed with Sen. Jesse Helms, R-North Carolina, to support a $500 million program aimed at halting transmission of AIDS from pregnant mothers in Africa to their children.

"There is no reason why we cannot eliminate, or nearly eliminate, mother-to-child transmissions of AIDS," argues Helms, who says he regrets spending so much of his early career fighting AIDS programs.

Rep. Sonny Callahan of Alabama, a key Republican on foreign aid matters in the House, has joked that Bono has spent so much time in his office lobbying for Africa that the two should be called the "the Sonny and Bono show."

On the May 20-31 Africa trip, O'Neill and Bono will visit schools, AIDS clinics and various World Bank development projects. O'Neill is hoping to use the extra press attention generated by Bono's presence to promote the administration's development overhaul plans.

Since the September 11 terrorist attacks, the issue of fighting poverty to eliminate a major breeding ground for terrorists has gained momentum and will be a top agenda item of the G-8 countries at their June summit in Canada.

"It is possible for the two of us to see life through each other's eyes," O'Neill said last week in previewing the trip. "I'm going to get a set of blue wraparound glasses and I'm going to give him a gray wig."

CK

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
That's okay. It's just a shame more people don't care about important things like this!

Just because we don't reply doesn't mean that we don't care.

Originally posted by Bonochick:

So true. I thought of several cheesy jokes when I read the post last night, but I was a good girl and didn't post 'em. Now I can't remember them.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
I posted the same thing last night. No one cared. Maybe they'll like it better coming from you.
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/019239.html

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((maddie gives desire4bono a humungous huggie to make her feel better))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

babey hun, dont feel this way, if u do its cause ur seeing some pple more popular than others, and this board should NOT be about that......

And then there's always the lovely U2News.com that we work on diligently for you all
smile.gif

http://u2news.com

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Yeah, exactly.. My friend had emailed me the article so I had already read it.

I have another good one, too.. although it's a little disturbing. If i can dig it up I'll post it here.

------------------
She comes in colors you know she's gonna turn the daylight on

*Happy Birthday Bono*

Warning: This is a very disturbing article, but says volumes about Bono's character.. not to mention put things in our lives in (a shocking) perspective.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Mirror
May 9, 2002

Hell of Africa

By Rebecca Swift

In a forgotten country in Africa, a horrific catastrophe is unfolding that could leave three million dead within months.

And despite the "global village" of communication, little is known of the thousands who are dying each week of hunger and disease.

Starving children in Malawi who steal unripe maize to survive are being tortured.

But when such a tragedy could be stopped NINE-year-old Miriam Jason sits nursing her mutilated hand at her home in a famine-ridden village in Malawi.

The girl was caught stealing food from a relative's farm, and her punishment was having her hand forced into the cooking fire.

The scars are a product of a desperate country, whose people will go to any lengths to survive.

But as three million people face starvation, Miriam's tragic story is the tip of the iceberg.

Malawi has been devastated by famine and the worst is yet to come - with aid workers expecting the biggest disaster in decades.

The landlocked African country has been ravaged with AIDS, cholera, and droughts and flooding which has destroyed its crops.

U2's Bono recently visited the country where he saw projects run by the Medical Missionaries of Mary and was shocked at conditions.

Medical Missionaries of Mary Sister Isabelle Smith said they were grateful for the singer's support.

She said: "He was waiting for the Grammy awards but he made a call to his office to send help to Malawi.

"Much of the world's media ignored this information but Bono didn't miss it.

"Within hours they were on the phone to the Medical Missionaries of Mary in Lilongwe offering immediate assistance for the villages Bono had visited a few weeks earlier."

Bono visited Malawi to speak at a summit about debt relief for the countries in southern Africa.

He demanded to see the scale of poverty and illness in the country before attending the meeting.

Bono pledged to return to Malawi with politicians so they could see the effects of policies on the people of poorer countries.

Malawi, is totally dependent on farming but because a lack of international aid, tens of thousands are facing death by starvation.

Those caught stealing to survive face brutal punishments like Miriam's.

But the girl is one of the lucky ones, for she and her sister Veronica, 12, were rescued by the Teresian Sisters, a Malawian order, who set up the Alinafe Health Centre.

Sr. Valentina, a nurse and midwife, said: "Veronica and Miriam, the youngest of a family of five, went to stay with their father when their mother died four years ago and the others lived with their grandmother.

"Almost a year ago their father disappeared, he simply left the house and didn't come back.

"The girls -- too young to look after themselves -- moved in with a distant relative of their father.

"Three weeks ago, Veronica came back from working on a farm to earn money for the family they stayed with, to find that Miriam's hands had been burnt.

"Miriam was so hungry that she had stolen a cob of maize from their relatives' farm and the father of the household had pushed her hands into the cooking fire as punishment.

"The girls ran away and some kindly people brought them to the Alinafe centre.

"They are staying here until Miriam's hands get better and until a solution has been found as to where they are going to live."

In Malawi there has been a brief respite because of the harvest, but it is still an awful lot worse than anyone had expected.

Last year's crops were appaling, and this year's are atrocious, creating a time bomb waiting to explode.

Hundreds of people are dying every day and if no help comes soon the number will escalate into thousands.

Some doctors said it is the worst they have seen in 30 years, with some families resorting to selling their children for the equivalent of $8 because they have no food.

Worst of all, some parents are poisoning their children, rather than let them die a slow painful death from starvation.

The sisters in Alinafe run a health facility with in-patient wards, a pharmacy, a mobile clinic, a laboratory and a nutrition unit.

The sisters also support 3,700 orphans who are cared for by the community and they run a primary health care service, offering regular
check-ups for children under five.

Resita Greta arrived at the centre several weeks ago with three malnourished children.

For one four-year-old girl, all help was too late, she died a week after they arrived.

She has two sons left, Madalitso, 6, and Kondwani was born in October.

Kondwani is still severely malnourished but he is responding well to the treatment and Madalitso has been putting on a little weight too.

Irish aid agency Concern has provided the sisters with support to carry out the distributions, which consist of a 10kgs of maize a fortnight.

Paul Harvey, an emergency officer with Concern, said: "People are so desperate they are selling the roofs off their houses to buy food.

"They are eating their unripe crops, which is only saving up huge problems for the future.

"Most people are small farmers who rely on their harvest to survive. Those who have some good crops have been viciously defending them.

"Vigilante justice is reigning at the moment and those who are caught stealing will be punished -- sometimes by having their hands cut off -- others are burned.

"The crises in Ethiopia were more in your face -- the rains failed and people died.

"The problems in Malawi are not as obvious visually -- it looks like a lush country in parts -- it is harder to wake people up to the gravity of the situation.

"But unless the world wakes up to the problems there will be tens of thousands of deaths."

There has been a shortfall of 600,000 tonnes of food already this year.

The farmers' problems have been compounded by the IMF and World Bank's policies.

Malawi is the 12th poorest country in the world and has the biggest gap between the rich and the poor.

* Anyone wanting to donate to Concern can call: 1850 410510 or 01 4177700. Donations can be made at www.concern.net or by post to
Concern, Camden Street, Dublin 2.

? The Mirror, 2002.

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-14-2002).]

I had read that article yesterday Carrie, and it brought me tears in my eyes. Can you imagine...so profound suffering that leads a mother or father to poison their kids to alleviate their offspring from starvation? I bet none of us can even imagine that. And Bono saw such things happening and he cares about them. Another reason to love him and respect him even more.

Originally posted by follower:
I had read that article yesterday Carrie, and it brought me tears in my eyes. Can you imagine...so profound suffering that leads a mother or father to poison their kids to alleviate their offspring from starvation? I bet none of us can even imagine that. And Bono saw such things happening and he cares about them. Another reason to love him and respect him even more.

exactly follower.. it is horribly sad! and i just wonder if there is something MORE we can do, as individuals, than just give money?

I care, Desire, promise.
smile.gif
Just didn't have anything more that "thanks and love you Bono" to say.
smile.gif

Reading these articles reminds me of my time in the Peace Corps.

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Originally posted by mad1:

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((maddie gives desire4bono a humungous huggie to make her feel better))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

babey hun, dont feel this way, if u do its cause ur seeing some pple more popular than others, and this board should NOT be about that......

Thanks Maddie! Humongous hugs to you too!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom