I just had a REVELATION...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
Maybe this is old news but I just realized this

Melbourne Soundcheck = WalkOn!

The mp3 file I have called "U2_melbourne1_mp3" is an early version of "Walk On"

Please forgive me if this is common knowledge. I just realized this. The verse is the same and the "i don't want to wait" chorus is the same chords as the "hallehlujah"/"all that you fashion" ending part. You can even hear edge working out the solo a bit.

It sounds so cool in this raw unfinished version. Walk On sounded great live too. It is too bad they killed it in the studio album version of the song. It had so much potential.

I emailed that file to you guys...let me know what you think.

144 people have viewed this post and only 3 replied? Does no one care or has no one heard this track or does everyone already know this? I'm a little confused.

I've heard the Melbourne stuff but lost it in a computer crash a while back, so I don't remember what track your refering to. If you can send it along. You've got me curious now b/c I love Walk On and feel a little freaked that I missed this.

petechopp@yahoo.com

i have to go to work now...

those of you who have the file please share with others.

Does anyone have it yet?

Hmmm, I just listened to it for the first time from a website that I'm a member of, and I don't really hear any "Walk On." BUT, it is cool to listen to U2 just jamming.

The thing I find I found REALLY weird when I heard when I listened to it is that it's VERY similair musically to a song (chord sequence, tempo..ect) as a song called "What You Need" that I made a few months ago--and I'd seriously never heard this before! The only differance with my song is that I figured out a way to put a melody to the music :wink:

U2 figured it out too...and then called it walk on.

Listen some more...the tempo is slower than walk on. during the "i don't want to wait" chorus you can sing the "hallelujah" from the end of the live version.

I AM NOT CRAZY!

The chords during the chorus are similar to the outro of "Walk On," but the verse chords are completely different.

I was just playing along to the verse and it's tuned down a half step A C#m D B---Walk on is basically D A G Em.

From what the band said, they took 2 different chord sequences that weren't necessarily good and put them together to make "Walk On." Maybe the chorus "I don't wanna wait" is one of the chord sequences they were mentioning.

just finished downloading this

for what its worth, I think Hoodlem is definitly on to something here. I don't know if we can ever have a definitive answer unless fake Edge drops in here, but it definitly sounds like a very early version of Walk On to me.

Way to go Hoodlem. Your ear's way better than mine. I don't know if I ever woulda put this together.

Got the file, it could very well be a very early walk on. Thanks for sending it.

I think it's possible... I could definitely hear Walk On in it. I'd say she (Walk On) was a glint in her parents eyes at that point. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom