I just finished watching SLANE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jonnytakeawalk said:
Does anyone else think Slane had an absolutely rubbish setlist?

had nothing from Zooropa
not enough from achtung baby
and some of the worst/ overated songs from 'all that you can't leave behind'- stuck in a moment, beautiful day, kite :reject: (even with Bono's emotion that night. I'm still not a fan of kite.)

Some of the performances were brilliant, and the atmosphere was just incredible :rockon: A better set list would have just capped the whole think off I reckon!

WTF?!!! Bad setlist? On Slane? Only three songs from Achtung Baby? Perish the thought! Look, Achtung is my favorite album, but they don't need to play the whole damn thing every night. U2 has a lot of good music from many different eras, and some fans prefer some eras over others, so you're not going to get a rehash of Zoo TV every night. Sorry, but Zoo TV was a moment that will never agin be, so let's move on....

Palace_Hero said:
Enjoyable DVD, shame about Old Man Bono's voice.

Hah!! It so true!!! Good one, man. Seriously though, I like old man Bono's raspy voice. He does sound better on Slane than earlier on the tour though (yeah, Boston, I'm talkin' to you!), and at least he hits the notes. You can't say that about the Pop tour, where his once powerful voice degenerates into a bad impression of Lemmy (from Motorhead) everytime he strains to reach the notes.

MacPhistoPT said:

Great on the album, incredible live. My 3rd fav song of ATYCLB, I really like it. Maybe I have some connection with New York (the city) because I also love Angel of Harlem.

btw, COBL_04, by now which are your 3 favourite U2 songs?

NO LIVE VERSIONS
1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. Kite

LIVE VERSIONS
1. As above
2. As above
3. One (Slane)

johnnytakeawalk said:

had nothing from Zooropa
not enough from achtung baby
and some of the worst/ overated songs from 'all that you can't leave behind'- stuck in a moment, beautiful day, kite (even with Bono's emotion that night. I'm still not a fan of kite.)

Some of the performances were brilliant, and the atmosphere was just incredible A better set list would have just capped the whole think off I reckon!

Do remember that ATYCLB had been released so they had to sort of incorporate more ATYCLB songs than anything else. I would have appreicated some songs from Zooropa though, it's the only album I haven't heard any songs from.

You're obviously an AB fan (guessing by your username) :wink: but I agree with starvinmarvin. AB doesn't have to be worshipped in every live show.

MCF74 said:
I think the Slane version of Kite is tremendous. Bono's story at the beginning about he and Edge's fathers was a great way to remember his father in a positive, humorous light. I felt the same way immediately after my father died from cancer 6 years ago. I cried, but then afterwards, I just wanted to soak in fond memories of him. Bono does exactly the same thing here. He sings at the top of his lungs and just seems to be relishing in having an outlet to share his feelings and love for his departed father. I love his performance!

The story about Bono and Edge's father was good as. It made me laugh.

Why are Larry and Adam always sitting back? Okay, Larry can't dance down the mosh pit because he is on drums, but surely they could give Adam a bit more spotlight.

Imagine U2 without Larry and Adam.

starvinmarvin said:

WTF?!!! Bad setlist? On Slane? Only three songs from Achtung Baby? Perish the thought! Look, Achtung is my favorite album, but they don't need to play the whole damn thing every night. U2 has a lot of good music from many different eras, and some fans prefer some eras over others, so you're not going to get a rehash of Zoo TV every night. Sorry, but Zoo TV was a moment that will never agin be, so let's move on....

Not only was Zooropa ignored but so was The Unforgettable fire. Criminal in my opinion! :madspit:

COBL_04 said:
Why are Larry and Adam always sitting back? Okay, Larry can't dance down the mosh pit because he is on drums, but surely they could give Adam a bit more spotlight.

Adam's gained a bit of a reputation for not exactly running around on stage like Bono does, though that hasn't always been the case (see the Under A Blood Red Sky video). He has been very enthusiastic this tour, though! Smiling, walking around, using the stage - makes me very happy, and it was awesome at Boston III to have him come wandering by me during New Year's Day as I watched Edge solo.

Has anyone here ever told a member of the band that there is a website with 38, 832 members dedicated to them?

Hey, guess what everyone, I just discovered that interference.com isn't just a forum. It's a got a home page. It took me 260-posts to realise it. :reject: :D I'm proud of myself.

Axver said:

About Kite, are you kidding me?! The man had lost his father the previous week - there was plenty of emotion behind that!

You're right, do you remember the "I'm a man, i'm not a child" part? :sad: It made me cry. The same with "Good bye, good bye".:sad: :sad: :sad:

jonnytakeawalk said:

Some of the performances were brilliant, and the atmosphere was just incredible :rockon: A better set list would have just capped the whole think off I reckon!

There's nothing intrinsically *wrong* with the setlist...it works, but there's a lot more Elevationy stuff I would have rather had in there- Gone, The Fly, Discoteque/Staring at the Sun, New York...also I think this version of Bullet is absolute crap compared to Boston.

But it's still their best live DVD.

T

I cried watching him sing Kite I could swear he was crying as well. When he sings "i'm a man I'm not a child" that's the most emotional moment for me. Maybe watch it again if you didn't notice the first time. Also AIWIY is so great at that show!

Slane :drool:

Back
Top Bottom