I just bought "The Ground Beneath Her Feet"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerc

The Fly
For only $5.99 at Borders, hardcover! I read here some people saying it's a great book...

------------------
k e r c

La aventura del comienzo
La intriga de lo incierto
No temas y busca lo nuevo
S?lo empieza desde cero

Originally posted by kerc:
For only $5.99 at Borders, hardcover! I read here some people saying it's a great book...

It's very interesting, but kind of annoying too. Hard to explain. I did enjoy it, overall. It's a new spin on the Orpheus and Euridyce myth, and I love stuff like that. It's also all about rock music! So far, it's the only book by Salman Rushdie I've read. I thought Midnight's Children sounded really interesting too but I've not read it yet.

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

if i hate greek myths, will i hate this book?

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by kobayashi:
if i hate greek myths, will i hate this book?

I wouldn't say so. It's not INCREDIBLY closely related to the myth. I mean, it's not really obvious.

Why would you hate Greek myths??
wink.gif

I bought the book last year, portuguese version. I liked it, it's kinda irregular though, sometimes exciting, sometimes boring. I liked particularly the parts of the story that were placed in India, a country I have a special interest. And the rock scene as well.

kerc, is your book in english or spanish?

It's the most brilliant book I probably ever have read. A spectacular mesh of music, love, and allusions to pop culture history, and done in a brilliant manner. I highly recommend this book, and man....do I wish I could get that hardcover version!

Ormus

my first and favourite [dangling an Every Artist is a Cannibal thread in here]:

Why do we care about singers? Wherein lies the power of songs? Maybe it derives from the sheer strangeness of there being singing in the world. The note, the scale, the chord; melodies, harmonies, arrangements; symphonies, ragas, Chinese operas, jazz, the blues; that such things should exist, that we should have discovered the magical intervals and distances that yield the poor cluster of notes, all within the span of a human hand, from which we can build our cathedrals of sound, is as alchemical a mystery as mathematics, or wine, or love. Maybe the birds taughts us. Maybe not. Maybe we are just creatures in search of exaltation. We don't have much of it. Our lives are not what we deserve; they are, let us agree, in many painful ways deficient. Song turns them into something else. Song shows us a world that is worthy of our yearning, it shows us our selves as they might be, if we were worthy of the world.

--The Ground Beneath Her Feet,
Salman Rushdie

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

Salman Rushdie is brilliant. I encourage people to read the works of Hanif Kureishi as well, who is similarly brilliant.

*Melon encourages people to read his signature
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

two more quotes, one for the world within this forum, one for the world outside it:

For most of 1994 and 1995 he lived exclusively in the world of the tour, an ersatz underworld environment tiered like the circles of Hell and enclosed in a giant arc by the largest Vidiwall ever built, from which the audience was nightly bombarded by incessant images of heaven and hell, both conceived of as places on earth, nuptial motels and flame-grilled-burger bars, video arcades and ballet schools, football crowds and war zones, ice deserts and political rallies, surf beaches and libraries, and it was up to each individual to decide which images were celestial, which infernal. ...Having created this fiction he plunged into it and did not come out for two years....
It was as if the show was staying put while the world rushed past outside the stadium, as if the show were the permanence and human life the transient thing, as if the stadium was always the same stadium, and the limo was always the same car, always driven by Will Singh with Clea Singh by Ormus's side, but the cities outside its windows came and went like the lands at the top of the Faraway Tree.

But I remember only silence, the silence of great horror. The silence, to be more exact, of photography, because that was my profession, so naturally it was what I turned to the moment the earthquake began....Here was the eternal silence of faces and bodies and animals and even nature itself, caught -- yes -- by my camera, but caught also in the grip of the fear of the unforeseeable and the anguish of loss, in the clutches of this hated metamorphosis, the appalling silence of a way of life at the moment of its annihilation, its transformation into a golden past that could never wholly be rebuilt...
A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second, or one-sixteenth, or one-hundred-and-twenty-eighth. Snap your fingers; a snapshot's faster. Halfway between voyeur and witness, high art and low scum, that's where I've made my life.

But Rushdie's real gift is his sparkling spiral of a narrative. Thrilling, challenging stuff.

blessings,
Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

I always seem to get lost in Rushdie's heavy imagery and metaphor... maybe it's just me.
I can never finish one of his books once I start, Im probably missing out on some great stuff!

------------------
And I felt like a star...

English...I prefer to read books in their original language, if I can. Of course that basically limits me to Spanish and English.
biggrin.gif

------------------
k e r c

La aventura del comienzo
La intriga de lo incierto
No temas y busca lo nuevo
S?lo empieza desde cero

LOL kerc. Well, it's something, better than just one language
biggrin.gif

I have read books in english, but only about U2. And I dare say I can read in spanish, at least a little, although I can't speak the language.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom