I highly recommend NOT getting the Special Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Unless you're getting 2 versions like I did (normal and special edition with book/DVD) I would recommend just getting the normal version or the CD/DVD. No lyrics in the most expensive version!!! I can't believe it.

I read through the lyrics from my regular version booklet and the album took on a whole new life. I was unsure of the lyrical quality on this album at first, but now, whoah, some really amazing stuff.

The book is ok, but nothing special. I like to have all things U2, so I don't really regret it, but I can't recommend it. I would rather have the lyrics than Fast Cars.

The book IMO is crap. Its just kiddy doodles and looks like something that was thrown together last second.

Ive had the box set for a week on Thursday and I picked up a regular version today just for the hell of it.

starsgoblue said:
I don't understand why people aren't "getting" the book! My goodness, I must be insane...

:huh:
Hey Girl! :wave: :)
And those suffering (?) from severe Bononucleosis - like you and I - have often been found to be quite insane.... :up:

Bring on the straighjacket - I'm a raging U2 lunatic!!! :love:

I'm "getting" it, but I find the real art and beauty of this album is the lyrics and while the book is cool, it mostly covers territory that U2/Bono have championed for the past 20 years. It may be worth it for a U2 completist, but damn I'm pissed they didn't include the lyrics.

I got the collectors edition too cause I wouldnt sleep right until I got it, its the kind of fan I am. But I must say, I will not open that book up again. Maybe If I drop acid for the first time...I dont know.

I would recommend the DVD/CD also. Great price on all of them right now though. I bought the regular edition too so I dont care about the lyrics. I spent $35 today, plus another $40 coming for the fan club signup. Then I'm looking at around $400 for the next tour, I'm giving Bono that 500 pounds he was talking about this year alone.

RademR said:
I got the collectors edition too cause I wouldnt sleep right until I got it, its the kind of fan I am. But I must say, I will not open that book up again. Maybe If I drop acid for the first time...I dont know.

That book may rage on acid, good idea :wink:

womanfish said:
I'm "getting" it, but I find the real art and beauty of this album is the lyrics and while the book is cool, it mostly covers territory that U2/Bono have championed for the past 20 years. It may be worth it for a U2 completist, but damn I'm pissed they didn't include the lyrics.

I got the Collector's edition too and wasn't impressed. I didn't like it at all that they filled up a few pages with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with the bands handprints on it. Also, the spine was so tight that when I opened the book the DVD envelope/page tore from the glue. I love Fast Cars and being in the States the Collectors edition was the best way to get that. It cost me $24.99 plus tax at Best Buy.

BTW, you can get the lyrics (minus FC) here:

http://www.u2.com/htdaab-lyrics/

starsgoblue said:
I don't understand why people aren't "getting" the book! My goodness, I must be insane...

:huh:

Hmm, bunch of left-brain type of people?

Larry's doors are cool, that's my type of painting, kinda abstract.

Reminds me of the time I went with my mom to an art gallery, she just didn't "get it." Making little comments about the stuff, some people are lost on the obscure kinda art.

You can't just slap together painting, look at the paintings, they took some time to do.

If you don't like scribbles, doodles, you shouldn't see my notebooks from school. :D

I like the book thingie. It's nice to see some of their creative work even if it is doodles. :)

I'm a nut. I bought both and I felt silly.
Hey about the book being "kiddie", I have a book like that! I should keep it and put it in with my limited edition box set. Get your Crystal Jade autographs now folks! :wink:

I loved the story in the book about the goats in the Himalayas laying down for one another. That is some story and a great definition of compromise.

Well, I think that it is a great package, the Special Edition. It gives you a different view of what goes on in U2 (although mainly Bono). In this booklet, he seems less guarded than in his song lyrics. By reading his notes, the album made more sense to me. It is an amazing album, even more so with the added value of the booklet.
Yes, it is a pity that there are no lyrics enclosed, but the stuff that is included is very enlightening.

C ya!

Marty (a sucker for special packaging)

P.S. The Special Edition has Fast Cars too!

If not for Fast Cars... the special edition would suck. No lyrics (geez what were they thinking), the book is too tight like someone said, thus a little hard to read as a result, the CD case for the CD is not even a real case :mad: , and I can't read a lot of their messy handwriting... it is a freakin chore. In some ways, I regret buying the collector's edition. Oh well...:|

womanfish said:
Unless you're getting 2 versions like I did (normal and special edition with book/DVD) I would recommend just getting the normal version or the CD/DVD. No lyrics in the most expensive version!!! I can't believe it.

I read through the lyrics from my regular version booklet and the album took on a whole new life. I was unsure of the lyrical quality on this album at first, but now, whoah, some really amazing stuff.

The book is ok, but nothing special. I like to have all things U2, so I don't really regret it, but I can't recommend it. I would rather have the lyrics than Fast Cars.

Are there any liner notes @ all?
Wow, they just got another $9.99 from me for lyrics.:|

Flying FuManchu said:
If not for Fast Cars... the special edition would suck. No lyrics (geez what were they thinking), the book is too tight like someone said, thus a little hard to read as a result, the CD case for the CD is not even a real case :mad: , and I can't read a lot of their messy handwriting... it is a freakin chore. In some ways, I regret buying the collector's edition. Oh well...:|

Well, I like it that there is not a standard CD case. It makes the packaging more special. :up:
Besides, jewel cases are boring. :|

But hey, if you don't want to invest time in U2 (to read their writings, etc.), that's your choice.

:wink:

bonosleftone said:
The book IMO is crap. Its just kiddy doodles and looks like something that was thrown together last second.

I saw that on the HTDAAB scans thread on PLEBA and was very disappointed. I would have preferred 'hot pics' of the band members or at least more action shots. The pics we get are mostly blurry too. But it's no big thing, U2 usually has lame packaging. The music is still good.

Re: Re: I highly recommend NOT getting the Special Edition

caylan said:
Are there any liner notes @ all?
Wow, they just got another $9.99 from me for lyrics.:|

Yes, there are liner notes. And if you want to be technical, then the whole book is one big piece of liner notes. :) But the information about the songs (who did what, etc.) is also in the book. Just not the lyrics.

martha said:
Are they charging yet for the lyrics on u2.com?
Yeah, but only $.03 per word...most songs can be had for 6 or 7 bucks...so far I've invested in "Boomerang 1", "Endless Deep" and "Things to Make and Do".

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a Canadian who is still waiting for the Collector's edition to arrive in stores. However, after reading this, I'm going to pick up CD/DVD version. You guys are right, I don't need the book! The scans are just fine to look at. I would rather have the lyrics over fast cars.

I'm not waiting any loner, I'm going to get it now!

the collectors edition was worth it for me because of "Fast Cars" I was obsessed with getting that on HTDAAB. Other than that, the DVD is ok and the book isn't my cup of tea. Still, it was only 24.99, so I looked at it at buying a regular CD at tower records.

The Collectors Edition packaging blows. Way too tight, and my CD was slightly scratched from just floating in the cardboard. I burned copies of both the CD, and DVD and the "Collectors Edition" is getting put on the shelf forever.

if you dont like the book you dont like u2 or you simply havent read it.

it explains what the ideas behind the album are all about and has great insight on the way humans act and should act. these are notes from one of the most amazing people on earth. you understand and appreciate bono more after reading this book. i know the handwriting is hard to read but after awhile you start to get his style and the comprhension becomes easier.

this book is really good and im glad i read it, and forced myself to figure out the handwriting. bonos thoughts are inspiring.

READ THE FUCKING THING BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT!!!

youll understand the album way more after reading it. forget what youve heard the songs are supposed to be about and catch the meaning straight from the horses mouth

Exactly,

Before everybody starts whinging maybe listen to the interview bono did with simon mayo which was broadcast on bbc2 on monday. He explains the purpose behind the book. I assure you if you're a U2 fan after hearing what bono says about it you should then "get it"

The interview is still available from the bbc 2 simon mayo web site.

Back
Top Bottom