I highly recommend NOT getting the Special Edition - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 5,102
Local Time: 07:52 PM
I highly recommend NOT getting the Special Edition

Unless you're getting 2 versions like I did (normal and special edition with book/DVD) I would recommend just getting the normal version or the CD/DVD. No lyrics in the most expensive version!!! I can't believe it.

I read through the lyrics from my regular version booklet and the album took on a whole new life. I was unsure of the lyrical quality on this album at first, but now, whoah, some really amazing stuff.

The book is ok, but nothing special. I like to have all things U2, so I don't really regret it, but I can't recommend it. I would rather have the lyrics than Fast Cars.
__________________

womanfish is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 02:52 PM
I don't understand why people aren't "getting" the book! My goodness, I must be insane...

__________________

starsgoblue is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,005
Local Time: 02:52 PM
The book IMO is crap. Its just kiddy doodles and looks like something that was thrown together last second.

Ive had the box set for a week on Thursday and I picked up a regular version today just for the hell of it.
bonosleftone is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
BluRmGrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leather Heaven
Posts: 7,808
Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
I don't understand why people aren't "getting" the book! My goodness, I must be insane...

Hey Girl!
And those suffering (?) from severe Bononucleosis - like you and I - have often been found to be quite insane....

Bring on the straighjacket - I'm a raging U2 lunatic!!!
BluRmGrl is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 5,102
Local Time: 07:52 PM
I'm "getting" it, but I find the real art and beauty of this album is the lyrics and while the book is cool, it mostly covers territory that U2/Bono have championed for the past 20 years. It may be worth it for a U2 completist, but damn I'm pissed they didn't include the lyrics.
womanfish is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggie Thee Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be...
Posts: 17,988
Local Time: 11:52 AM
You know I picked up a regular and Deluxe edition...I too am a U2 completist. But damn it can get expensive some times....
Reggie Thee Dog is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
RademR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 5,281
Local Time: 03:52 PM
I got the collectors edition too cause I wouldnt sleep right until I got it, its the kind of fan I am. But I must say, I will not open that book up again. Maybe If I drop acid for the first time...I dont know.

I would recommend the DVD/CD also. Great price on all of them right now though. I bought the regular edition too so I dont care about the lyrics. I spent $35 today, plus another $40 coming for the fan club signup. Then I'm looking at around $400 for the next tour, I'm giving Bono that 500 pounds he was talking about this year alone.
RademR is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #8
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,005
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR
I got the collectors edition too cause I wouldnt sleep right until I got it, its the kind of fan I am. But I must say, I will not open that book up again. Maybe If I drop acid for the first time...I dont know.
That book may rage on acid, good idea
bonosleftone is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
The Fly
 
mkjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Yorkish
Posts: 143
Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
I'm "getting" it, but I find the real art and beauty of this album is the lyrics and while the book is cool, it mostly covers territory that U2/Bono have championed for the past 20 years. It may be worth it for a U2 completist, but damn I'm pissed they didn't include the lyrics.
I got the Collector's edition too and wasn't impressed. I didn't like it at all that they filled up a few pages with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with the bands handprints on it. Also, the spine was so tight that when I opened the book the DVD envelope/page tore from the glue. I love Fast Cars and being in the States the Collectors edition was the best way to get that. It cost me $24.99 plus tax at Best Buy.

BTW, you can get the lyrics (minus FC) here:

http://www.u2.com/htdaab-lyrics/
mkjc is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
I don't understand why people aren't "getting" the book! My goodness, I must be insane...

Hmm, bunch of left-brain type of people?

Larry's doors are cool, that's my type of painting, kinda abstract.

Reminds me of the time I went with my mom to an art gallery, she just didn't "get it." Making little comments about the stuff, some people are lost on the obscure kinda art.

You can't just slap together painting, look at the paintings, they took some time to do.

If you don't like scribbles, doodles, you shouldn't see my notebooks from school.
thrillme is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #11
War Child
 
Lisa71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa
Posts: 678
Local Time: 03:52 PM
I like the book thingie. It's nice to see some of their creative work even if it is doodles.
Lisa71 is offline  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:54 PM   #12
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa71
I like the book thingie. It's nice to see some of their creative work even if it is doodles.
Yeah, don't knock the doodles. Nothing like doodles to make time fly during boring college lectures.
thrillme is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #13
War Child
 
xtal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: US
Posts: 834
Local Time: 11:52 AM
I'm a nut. I bought both and I felt silly.
Hey about the book being "kiddie", I have a book like that! I should keep it and put it in with my limited edition box set. Get your Crystal Jade autographs now folks!
xtal is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #14
Refugee
 
paulrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nomad
Posts: 1,280
Local Time: 09:52 PM
I loved the story in the book about the goats in the Himalayas laying down for one another. That is some story and a great definition of compromise.
paulrg is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 01:04 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,748
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Well, I think that it is a great package, the Special Edition. It gives you a different view of what goes on in U2 (although mainly Bono). In this booklet, he seems less guarded than in his song lyrics. By reading his notes, the album made more sense to me. It is an amazing album, even more so with the added value of the booklet.
Yes, it is a pity that there are no lyrics enclosed, but the stuff that is included is very enlightening.

C ya!

Marty (a sucker for special packaging)

P.S. The Special Edition has Fast Cars too!
Popmartijn is online now  
Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,368
Local Time: 08:52 PM
I do think they could've included the lyrics in the book...but that's only a minor gripe for me. I like the rest of the stuff that's in there.
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 04:43 AM   #17
New Yorker
 
Flying FuManchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Posts: 3,171
Local Time: 02:52 PM
If not for Fast Cars... the special edition would suck. No lyrics (geez what were they thinking), the book is too tight like someone said, thus a little hard to read as a result, the CD case for the CD is not even a real case , and I can't read a lot of their messy handwriting... it is a freakin chore. In some ways, I regret buying the collector's edition. Oh well...
Flying FuManchu is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 05:41 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,553
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Are they charging yet for the lyrics on u2.com?
martha is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 AM   #19
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: la,ca
Posts: 212
Local Time: 03:52 PM
Re: I highly recommend NOT getting the Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
Unless you're getting 2 versions like I did (normal and special edition with book/DVD) I would recommend just getting the normal version or the CD/DVD. No lyrics in the most expensive version!!! I can't believe it.

I read through the lyrics from my regular version booklet and the album took on a whole new life. I was unsure of the lyrical quality on this album at first, but now, whoah, some really amazing stuff.

The book is ok, but nothing special. I like to have all things U2, so I don't really regret it, but I can't recommend it. I would rather have the lyrics than Fast Cars.
Are there any liner notes @ all?
Wow, they just got another $9.99 from me for lyrics.
caylan is offline  
Old 11-24-2004, 05:51 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,748
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
If not for Fast Cars... the special edition would suck. No lyrics (geez what were they thinking), the book is too tight like someone said, thus a little hard to read as a result, the CD case for the CD is not even a real case , and I can't read a lot of their messy handwriting... it is a freakin chore. In some ways, I regret buying the collector's edition. Oh well...
Well, I like it that there is not a standard CD case. It makes the packaging more special.
Besides, jewel cases are boring.

But hey, if you don't want to invest time in U2 (to read their writings, etc.), that's your choice.

__________________

Popmartijn is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×