I Heard "the Hands That Built America" In Full Today!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
It was amazing - I just went into town from school, went to my record store (Modern Music), and I thought - I recognise this tune - what is it? OMG, ITS U2!!!! They were playing the Best of. It was a really sweet song. I heard it from 2:00 until the end (its about 5 minutes song). Much more mellow than Electrical Storm. Kind of Sounds like a mix between Miss Sarejevo + Wake up Dead Man. Bono's voice is really sweet, allthough not falsetto, which is suprising. Lovely chords, lovely keyboard sounds - it was extatic. I just want to hear it again!!!!!

I also heard a couple of other things. I heard the first 10 seconds of the new mix of Numb - sounded the same to me, just cleaner, and more dirty sound. But that was only 10 seconds of it. Afte 10 seconds, they turned it off and put the B-sides on. I heard North and South of the River, which Actually I hated. I much prefer the Omagh version.

I can't wait for the Best of the be released now, so I can hear THTBA in all its glory, over and over again (+ the new mixes)

Good on ya!but I think its fair to say that you still havent heard it in full:wink:

Last edited:
NShaik said:
It was amazing - I just went into town from school, went to my record store (Modern Music), and I thought - I recognise this tune - what is it? OMG, ITS U2!!!! They were playing the Best of. It was a really sweet song. I heard it from 2:00 until the end (its about 5 minutes song). Much more mellow than Electrical Storm. Kind of Sounds like a mix between Miss Sarejevo + Wake up Dead Man. Bono's voice is really sweet, allthough not falsetto, which is suprising. Lovely chords, lovely keyboard sounds - it was extatic. I just want to hear it again!!!!!
So does it build and build like we all thought it would? Does it have a climax? Would you say it is "mainstream" in sound or would you classify it as "ambient" in nature? Could it, say, fit into the Million$Hotel s/t, or would it fit better onto ATYCLB? Or neither? Or both?

Sorry for all the questions!

Oh, any good guitar sounds? How about drumming and bass? ;)

Re: Re: I Heard "the Hands That Built America" In Full Today!!!!!!!!!

Michael Griffiths said:

So does it build and build like we all thought it would? Does it have a climax? Would you say it is "mainstream" in sound or would you classify it as "ambient" in nature? Could it, say, fit into the Million$Hotel s/t, or would it fit better onto ATYCLB? Or neither? Or both?

Sorry for all the questions!

Oh, any good guitar sounds? How about drumming and bass? ;)

I wouldn't say its mainstream - but not experimental either - very ambient - very atmospheric. The image that came into my head when I heard it, is of the four of them sitting on a train, on a bridge, looking at New York City, with a Sunset behind it. Don't know why.

As for specific guitar, bass + drum sounds, I'm afraid I can't be quite as specific as you'd like as I only heard it once, and only 3 minutes of it, but it sounded like Bono on the guitar, and Edge playing the keyboards (as in the U2.com video), with a lot of studio sounds. But it doesn't sound over-produced. It doesn't sound like something they'll play live though. Its just really dark + atmospheric.

I don't think it'd fit on ATYCLB or MDH. I think it would fit as a B-side to Electrical Storm. It might have worked on Zooropa (comparing it to things like Stay + the First Time).

As good as it is, I don't think it will become a classic. I think it will live in the shadow of Electrical Storm.

You mean you heard it in the store and didn't knock the clerk over and yank it out of the CD player then run like hell down the street?
And you call yourself a fan :wink:

You gave an excellent description of it...enough to keep us calm while we wait anyway...:p

Shit!!! Return to the store with a laptop and ask the guy in there if he lets you rip it!!!!!!! Give him money or anything!!!!! hehehehe

Well if it's out and circulating, I'm sure it'll get itself onto the internet in not too long

Oh oh. i thought everyone was aware of the "should be on u2log" joke by now. Its kind of like an interference insider joke. I',m sorry to have misled anybody. But seriously, if it comes up anywhere it will probably be either here or on u2log first.

I can't even remember what song it was that started with, but wanderer (i think it was him) said 'should be on u2log soon) maybe it was the influx remix of elevation... not sure. but i interpreted that as insider information and got all excited and anxious and then it never came. it was kinda funny.

so that's to let everyone in on the inside joke... most of the people frequenting the boards now probably weren't even around then...

I am really surprised that there isn't an mp3 of this floating around somehwhere. The release is only a little over 3 weeks away so there have to be copies taht can be ripped.

I am quite anxious to hear this song. I expect it to be a very mellow number from start to finish. Hopefully, "Beat on the Brat" is the beginning of a new era for U2. War, this is Achtung. Achtung, this is War. Have a few and get to know each other.

Could the guy who said he'd heard some U2 demo tapes come back please? I (and many others on this board!:drool: ) would like to know more!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Does "Hands That Built America" have a David Bowie feel? From the little snippet on U2.com, I totally got a Bowie vibe from it, kind of like the '70s, mellow, spacy, glam stuff.

In regards to upcoming stuff, I know that school is back in so not many people are on vacation, but there have to be some fans who could get near the Dublin studios in the next couple of months. The band is supposed to start working on the new album soon and maybe if someone happened to be in the right place at the right time, they could get a good earful of this punk, pop, whatever it's supposed to be, stuff. (Would love to be that person but unless I win big at Lotto, it ain't happening)

ultraviolet353 said:
can't believe we still don't have it

I agree. This is highly ridiculous. And what about those New York remixes? that's being released in what? 2 weeks? and still no mp3? I feel let down.

well.. i just did a search on kazaa and there are a few on there that claim they're the complete version.. i'm downloading right now. but it's going to take a while i think.

mocool12 said:
well.. i just did a search on kazaa and there are a few on there that claim they're the complete version.. i'm downloading right now. but it's going to take a while i think.

Good luck!! I also tried to get all those versions also, but all I got was Mysterious Ways or the snippet from U2.com repeated several times, but hey, you might hit a good one!

Come on, its barely more than two weeks until we get the album, and still nothing? Interscope must really be cracking down on mp3 leaks. Oh well, keep waiting.

Yeah.. and not only that, but the ES single is being released in what, 2 days? and still no new york remix mp3s! dah. most disappointing. :p

Back
Top Bottom