I have a question for those who are dissapointed in ATYCLB... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2002, 09:28 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:57 AM
I have a question for those who are dissapointed in ATYCLB...

Let me see if I can make sense on this one...

A lot of people seem to be saying they don't like ATYCLB because it is too "sweet and sensitive," and because U2 made it that way to cater to their audience (basically taking no risks artistically). I'd like to know if you guys would have felt the same way about it being a very safe album if it had not sold so well.

I personally am torn about ATYCLB. It is definitely not my favourite U2 album, but I try hard to appreciate it for the risks I thought they took with subject matter. I really did not anticipate it being as well recieved as it was, probably because I am out of touch with the mainstream market due to great effort to be that way But now, with all the flack it is taking here about how U2 was just after the money, I am finding it hard to believe that they did actually take risks at all. I do find the music not as interesting, but I really try hard to like this album and there are some good songs on it.

Anyways, if that was even slightly coherent, do you think you doubters could answer my question? Thanks!

Old 10-17-2002, 10:05 AM   #2
Banned

NO , i didn't like it by itself , sales , popularity didn't matter in this case , i just don't have a crush for this album , very light songs , except NYC not a single solid rock song , terrible lyrics ( much stronger lyrics and music in POP , zooropa , achtung , JT , UF , even in Rattle&Hum lyrics and songs were much better ) . some good tunes are there , but it's not enough to call even " good " album .

Old 10-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:57 AM
THUD THUD THUD...

This is the sound of a dead horse being beaten.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:57 AM
I think I'm pretty much on the same page as Pink (as usual).

One of my biggest beefs with ATYCLB is the lyrics. I'm not kidding when I say it sounds like Lenny Kravitz wrote some of this stuff.

That and "Stuck in a Moment" - which has officially become my least favorite U2 song of all time.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I bought ATYCLB when it first came out, before anyone knew how many copies it would go on to sell - and I thought even though it did have some nice tunes on it, it was kind of boring for a U2 album. I like it better now, but I still don't play it much.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:31 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
THUD THUD THUD...

This is the sound of a dead horse being beaten.
Yes, this subject is a dead horse being beaten. But the sound should be 'whack' because 'thud' is what we say in PLEBA when a pic is so hot it knocks us down. (figure of speech of course)

I ATYCLB
Old 10-17-2002, 11:26 AM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue_Angel
I do find the music not as interesting
ah, my favourite subject (since there is so much still unknown for me in this area):
what on earth is "interesting music"???

does it have to do with
- the subject of the lyrics
- the melody
- the way verses and choruses are used
- the production

???

personally I think U2 has never made what I would call "interesting music" (Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Aphex Twin ... now that's interesting music)
no band has ever been able to combine emotions with intellect (esp. in the lyrics) as U2

ATYCLB is in my top 3 favourite U2 albums
because to me it feels that the band succeeded very well in what they were trying to achieve --> writing great songs touching on some heavy subjects
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-17-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 10:57 AM
so, what, ATYCLB was a CD used as a bridge for fans and U2 to cross safely from PoP until the upcoming new album?
Old 10-17-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 10:57 AM

I just can't understand the hatred for ATYCLB lyrics! IMO I thought they were some of the best, and so very original, particularly the subject matter on songs like Kite & Beautiful Day.

I would like to compare:

1. Kite vs. Miami:

"Did I waste it? NOt so much I could't taste it
Life should be fragrant rooftop to the basement"

"You know some places are like your aunti
But there's no place like Miami, my mammy"

2. Beautiful Day vs. If God will Send his Angels:

"The heart is a bloom, it shoots up through the stony ground"
"What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel somehow"

"You're blowing a fuse and the cartoon network turns into the news"
"Its the blind leading the blonde"

3. Stuck in a moment vs. Daddy's gonna Pay...

"I am still enchanted by a light you brought to me
I still listen through your ears through your eyes I can see"
"And if your way should falter along the stony pass
Its just a moment this time will pass"

"Uh-Huh sha la
Uh huh sha la"

I just think poetically speaking ATYCLB is vivid, descriptive, and ultimately more...better and stuff. But thats just me. I'm not "everyone".
Old 10-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
I just can't understand the hatred for ATYCLB lyrics! IMO I thought they were some of the best, and so very original, particularly the subject matter on songs like Kite & Beautiful Day.

Same here. We cannot help change someone's musical liking but their has to be a common ground. I for one feel ATYCLB has some of the best U2 lyrics to date. It doesnt matter if it rocks or not, as Salome said its one of U2's top 3.

Except for the first three songs on POP, there isnt that much great experimentation afterall.

"in the maze of her imagination"
Old 10-17-2002, 12:59 PM   #11
Acrobat

Alright, first off: sorry for repeating this topic since I know it has been heavily discussed around here; I kinda kept out of the discussion so being stupid me, as I was thinking about it I had this question and decided to start another thread for it
Secondly, I am not trying to change anyone's opinion, I am just asking!

Salome, by interesting I meant something really different both lyrically and musically, something that is really provoking. And of course, yeah it is a matter of taste, you got me there.
I don't know much about music, other than the fact that I like to listen to it, but I think albums like Zooropa and Unforgettable Fire are a lot more intricate and exciting to listen to. Which may just be me!
I also agree that the artists (or at least Frank Zappa since that's the only one I know ) you mentioned are a lot more experimental than U2. I also do agree that U2 tackled a tough topic on ATYCLB, and while the lyrics on some songs really hit home, I think they wrote better poetry on well...pretty much every other album. Anyway, good to hear from someone who really likes ATYCLB!

pinkfloyd, ok I understand that you just don't like what they did with this album, regardless of popularity, but do you think they made the music they did to appeal to the mainstream?

hey tackleberry, watch it with Daddy's Gonna Pay...!!!!

ok, apologies if this thread is going nowhere, I didn't wanna rehash old arguments, I was just trying to ask if anyone thought U2's music is suffering because they are after a mainstream market where they can make better money.

I can't even decide myself though!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:01 PM   #12
Banned

Apart from , Stuck and New York , all other lyrics from ATYCLB are boring ( POE , Grace , When I look at the world ) or were already written in the same mood , way , style , words by other musicians ( kite , Walk On, BD ) and wild Honey is not even a song , it's a country horse shit .
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
Acrobat

thank you, but you didn't answer my question!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue_Angel

pinkfloyd, ok I understand that you just don't like what they did with this album, regardless of popularity, but do you think they made the music they did to appeal to the mainstream?

Yes , or maybe they are out of touch with the audience , maybe they decided to fuck up the mainstream with releasing thier worst album with worst songs they ever wrote , and make mainstream to like it , to adore it , make them to give great reviews , to give awards , to make an elephant out of the fly , when thet are calling Elevation Tour as successful despite the fact that they played 18,ooo max arenas , while during POP Mart they played 70'000 , stadiums even half full ,
Old 10-17-2002, 01:16 PM   #15
The Fly

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
and wild Honey is not even a song , it's a country horse shit .
so what song would you consider a city horse shit ?

Old 10-17-2002, 01:19 PM   #16
Banned

With A Shout !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by little boy blue

so what song would you consider a city horse shit ?

Elevation

Old 10-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #17
The Fly

phew

clean out your ears elevation rocks buddy

Old 10-17-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd

Yes , or maybe they are out of touch with the audience , maybe they decided to fuck up the mainstream with releasing thier worst album with worst songs
They sure pleased a large chunk of their fans for someone that was 'out of touch.' No, it's the dissatisfied fans that are the minority. Worst album of worst songs? That is a rare opinion

Quote:
when thet are calling Elevation Tour as successful despite the fact that they played 18,ooo max arenas , while during POP Mart they played 70'000 , stadiums even half full ,
But remember they sold out 20,000 seat arenas 2-4 nights in most cities, not just once but again on the second US leg. The tour was very successful.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:48 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I consider tracks 1-5 on ATYCLB the best work U2 has done, and it rocks.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:32 PM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

just as many would say about pop, it seems people can't express their dislike for atyclb either. the same crap everyone spews when someone dares to diss pop is the same stuff people say when someone disses atyclb. this truely is a dead horse being beaten.

i wish ALL anti-whatever threads could cease so the bickering in this forum would die down. it just seems no one can handle someone disliking something that someone else likes.