I have a question for those who are dissapointed in ATYCLB... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2002, 02:32 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,487
Local Time: 04:19 AM
ATYCLB is the sound of four 40 year olds making music reflective of their age in life. I'd rather they do that then try to pretend they're 20 year olds, that would just be embarrising to themselves.

If you want something from the band just look into their back catalog. If you want U2 to be experimental, just throw on Zooropa, If you want them to rock, just throw on Boy or Achtung Baby.

There's something for everyone.

U2 aren't a pair of acid wash jeans that were only cool to wear in the 80's. U2 are a pair of faded Levi's. A little dark when they were new, but lightened up, though still comfortable to wear because they stand the test of time.
__________________

david is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 02:37 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 06:19 AM
When ATYCLB first came out, I thought it was destined to become one of the "great" U2 albums. I listened to it over and over and over and over...but I haven't been able to listen to it much since. Maybe that's because I listened to it TOO much in the beginning.

But I noticed something else...With AB, October, and POP, three of my favorite albums, it took me three or four listens before I could truly love those albums. And I loved ATYCLB immediately. Maybe it came TOO easily. I don't know.

I don't think that the band made ATYCLB to cater to a particular "audience." I don't think they were, as some say, "fucking up the mainstream" or whatever. I think they were just hungry for something different. The 90s had been all about extreme experimentation, outlandish, large-than-life albums and tours. Maybe they just saw this as a time to change things, try something new...
__________________

wertsie is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM   #23
Gunslinger
 
Roland of Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Mid-World
Posts: 4,192
Local Time: 04:19 AM

I think people here need to remember that everyday is someone's first time on this site. Old topics are always new to someone. That is completely unavoidable. If you are tired of reading these "old" topics, then go somewhere else or begin a "new" one. But to say that you wish these topics to be non-existant does nothing for your ego. It is a gift to be here.

It is an unfortunate time to be around here lately. The negativity outweighs eveything else here 2-1. Funny thing, it seems like it is the "in" thing now.
__________________
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." - Roland Deschain, of Gilead.
Roland of Gilead is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 03:16 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
I think people here need to remember that everyday is someone's first time on this site. Old topics are always new to someone. That is completely unavoidable. If you are tired of reading these "old" topics, then go somewhere else or begin a "new" one. But to say that you wish these topics to be non-existant does nothing for your ego. It is a gift to be here.

It is an unfortunate time to be around here lately. The negativity outweighs eveything else here 2-1. Funny thing, it seems like it is the "in" thing now.
You are absolutely right! I, for one, am sick of all the negativity. I did not join this message board to complain about U2. What would be the point of that? They're my favorite band. I came here to talk with other people who like them as much as I do.
wertsie is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 05:10 PM   #25
Refugee
 
Desire4Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Posts: 1,921
Local Time: 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
just as many would say about pop, it seems people can't express their dislike for atyclb either. the same crap everyone spews when someone dares to diss pop is the same stuff people say when someone disses atyclb. this truely is a dead horse being beaten.

i wish ALL anti-whatever threads could cease so the bickering in this forum would die down. it just seems no one can handle someone disliking something that someone else likes.
This is true. It's the same arguments, just against different albums! Worst songs. Worst album. Everybody seems to take it as a personal insult when U2 changes their sound from what they liked. The POP people whining now that U2 has changed are NO different than the fans who didn't like it when U2 changed with POP. Now the shoe is on the other foot but the bitching is the same. Are you and I the only ones who notice that PinkFloyd and One Tree Still's dumping on ATYCLB is just as old as Gypsy or J's dissing of POP? I don't see any difference. It's annoying. It takes over the forum every time I come by.

My suggestion: start an all purpose, bitch and moan about POP and ATYCLB and let all the crap stay in that one thread. Those who want to bitch, read the bitching or bitch about the bitching can click on it, everyone else will be mercifully spared. No need to worry about a 'new' person starting another thread not knowing about this one since with all the moaning it will stay on the first page and become the longest and longest lasting thread in Interference history.
__________________
Too bad,
the things that make you mad
are the things that I love

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Desire4Bono is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 05:20 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono


This is true. It's the same arguments, just against different albums! Worst songs. Worst album. Everybody seems to take it as a personal insult when U2 changes their sound from what they liked. The POP people whining now that U2 has changed are NO different than the fans who didn't like it when U2 changed with POP. Now the shoe is on the other foot but the bitching is the same. Are you and I the only ones who notice that PinkFloyd and One Tree Still's dumping on ATYCLB is just as old as Gypsy or J's dissing of POP? I don't see any difference. It's annoying. It takes over the forum every time I come by.

My suggestion: start an all purpose, bitch and moan about POP and ATYCLB and let all the crap stay in that one thread. Those who want to bitch, read the bitching or bitch about the bitching can click on it, everyone else will be mercifully spared. No need to worry about a 'new' person starting another thread not knowing about this one since with all the moaning it will stay on the first page and become the longest and longest lasting thread in Interference history.
Most brilliant post ever!
wertsie is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 05:56 PM   #27
Acrobat
 
Blue_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 488
Local Time: 06:19 AM
whoops, sorry
Blue_Angel is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 06:23 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Normal

I listened to ATYCLB in October 2000 before it hit big time. I remember it being a disappointment from the beginning. As someone said, the songs are too light. Its perfect for a soft rock or lite radio station, not saying its a bad album. Lyrics are good in certain parts of the album and atrocious in other parts. I know, I know....beating a dead thread!
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 10:17 PM   #29
Refugee
 
follower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Porto Alegre/Brasil
Posts: 2,302
Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
ATYCLB is the sound of four 40 year olds making music reflective of their age in life. I'd rather they do that then try to pretend they're 20 year olds, that would just be embarrising to themselves.

If you want something from the band just look into their back catalog. If you want U2 to be experimental, just throw on Zooropa, If you want them to rock, just throw on Boy or Achtung Baby.

There's something for everyone.

U2 aren't a pair of acid wash jeans that were only cool to wear in the 80's. U2 are a pair of faded Levi's. A little dark when they were new, but lightened up, though still comfortable to wear because they stand the test of time.
Paraphrasing wertsie...most brilliant post ever. Very well said. Thanks david.
follower is offline  
Old 10-17-2002, 10:26 PM   #30
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,682
Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
I think people here need to remember that everyday is someone's first time on this site. Old topics are always new to someone. That is completely unavoidable. If you are tired of reading these "old" topics, then go somewhere else or begin a "new" one. But to say that you wish these topics to be non-existant does nothing for your ego. It is a gift to be here.
so newbies are joining here just to bash a U2 album?

actually, i don't even see any newbies participating in the flamefests. it's commonly regarded on all forums that you should search first and see if the topic has been posted recently, do avoid being repetitive. for example, i recently posted a thread in fym, and searched beforehand. the topic hadn't been posted since last year, so i knew it was okay to start a new one.

i just wish we could all call a truce. since so many seem to think you can only like one or the other...don't like pop? fine! talk about how much you love atyclb instead! don't like atyclb? fine! talk about how much you love pop instead! *some* of the negativity on this forum is all right, as it's just constructive criticism and it shows we're not all one-dimensional fans who seem to think everything they do is perfect. (come on...you can all admit there's at least one song you're not crazy about!)

but there seems to be too much of it lately. if a newbie were to pop into this forum for the first time, they'd wonder if we were even fans! there's been so many anti-whatever threads lately, it could look like all we do is bitch and moan about what we wish U2 would do.

this is the way i see it. U2 is a band of constant change, right? it's a safe bet to say we all agree they've never duplicated themselves: no album sounds the same as another album. so that's fine! if you didn't like pop, then great! there was atyclb for you. and if you didn't like that, then you can wait for the next album! i wish everyone would focus on the good instead of the bad. for example, i'm not a big fan of atyclb. that's okay, right? instead of posting a thread about how much it sucks, it'd be so much more productive to post a thread about how much i love achtung baby, and how great it is.

so yeah, this forum could certainly stand a lot more positivity and a lot less negativity! who's with me?
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 12:06 AM   #31
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 06:19 AM
most of the songs are boring to me now, nothing sexy, no grooves, nothing risque about the song lyrics, very safe, bland and uninteresting to me, lyrically speaking, nothing we havent heard before from him

some really good songs, i love BD, Walk On, Kite and NY even, IALW is good too, but I just can't get into character with these songs like I can with the 90s stuff, that's my perspective, that's where I'm coming from
__________________
send lawyers, guns and money...
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 12:42 AM   #32
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,044
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue_Angel
whoops, sorry
don't worry
these people need near to nothing
I still love you
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 07:12 AM   #33
Refugee
 
Desire4Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Posts: 1,921
Local Time: 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie


Most brilliant post ever!
Thanks
__________________
Too bad,
the things that make you mad
are the things that I love

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Desire4Bono is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #34
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 107
Local Time: 12:19 PM
Hmmmmmmm.......I don't think U2 took any "major" risks artistically or commercially with ATYCLB, although all decisions have their risks. The Album has heart in it........but the heart ain't bleeding and being torn apart like in AB and POP. It packs a punch but it don'k knock u out like they've done before. When I played it first I liked it and some songs more than others. But I haven't played it in ages and I don't really miss it. Now I played ZOOROPA the other night and got lost in it........was great - and POP just gets better every time I listen to it. Re-mix my arse - the original POP singles are fine (getting away from the point). I think when the boys recorded ATYCLB that somewhere along the way..........making a popular or commercially viable album took some precedence and it killed some of the inventive risk taking moves that used to be part of U2.
That said I reckon I'm gonna be blown away and have my head wrecked by their next release of new material next Summer - I just know it. They know they can make a "big" album when they want - now they're ready to make another masterpiece. Artistically ATYCLB = the calm before the storm - the Rattle 'n Hum before the Achtung Baby (I hope!!)
allcub is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM   #35
Acrobat
 
Blue_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 488
Local Time: 06:19 AM
I love you too, Salome

thank you all for your thoughts/opinions and such
Blue_Angel is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 12:06 PM   #36
War Child
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 613
Local Time: 11:19 AM

I think BOTH "Pop" AND "ATYCLB" are risky. Risk taking does not rely soley on sound. What about the context of ATYCLB?? What about the themes??

At a time when there was nothing but fluff on the radiowaves, U2 produces this heartfelt, soulful, meaningful, piece of art. It asked questions about death, and zen, and the thoughts that run through your head when you get older. Pop may have a grittier sound, but ATYCLB is beautiful. And it IS risky because it was a bucket full of beauty in a world of superficial ugliness.

"The last of the rock stars when hip-hop drove the big cars"
tackleberry is offline  
Old 10-18-2002, 01:15 PM   #37
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,682
Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry
I think BOTH "Pop" AND "ATYCLB" are risky. Risk taking does not rely soley on sound. What about the context of ATYCLB?? What about the themes??
i think all their albums have been risks. why? because none of their albums sound the same! every album is a risk, because when it doesn't sound like the last one, you run the risk of losing fans. they took a chance with atyclb.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×