I Hate Bono and Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did oversimplify things for acrobat. It is 12/8 time, although I could be a pain and argue that it's 4/4 time but they're playing triplets the whole way through. :wink: The way the phrasing and main beats (even Edge's solo) play out, it's clearly 4 beats per measure. WITS would be the same. 3 eighth notes per beat, 4 beats per measure.

I guess when I play I tend to think of 12/8 as 4/4 time with triplets. My personal favorites are 7/8 or 5/4 or other odd-man-out time signatures. 3 and 2 or 3 and 2 and 2...

Last edited:
I LOVE songs in odd time signatures! 7/4 and 5/4 are favorites of mine. :love:

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel
Right Hand Man by Joan Osborne
Seven Days by Sting

:drool:

corianderstem said:
I'm with GibsonGirl on Acrobat. It's definitely got that "waltz" feel, with the ONE-two-three ONE-two-three thing going on. But as far as a time signature go, it's hard to say. It could be a 12/8, but it could also be a fast 3/4.

Window In the Skies could be a 3/4 (or a 12/8) as well, as you can take each of those big beats and feel the ONE-two-three ONE-two-three.

Or it's just a 4/4 with a nonstop triplet feel ... which honestly just exhausts me just thinking about it. :wink:

Diemen said:
I did oversimplify things for acrobat. It is 12/8 time, although I could be a pain and argue that it's 4/4 time but they're playing triplets the whole way through. :wink: The way the phrasing and main beats (even Edge's solo) play out, it's clearly 4 beats per measure. WITS would be the same. 3 eighth notes per beat, 4 beats per measure.

I guess when I play I tend to think of 12/8 as 4/4 time with triplets. My personal favorites are 7/8 or 5/4 or other odd-man-out time signatures. 3 and 2 or 3 and 2 and 2...

You guys, I love it when threads turn into musical theory nerdfests. :flirt: This is one of the reasons why I still bother to visit Interference. That's an interesting view, that...12/8 being 4/4 plus triplets. I don't quite see it that way with Acrobat, due to the almost riff-like nature of that drum beat (i.e. the fact that it is one whole 12 beat measure that is repeated. Four sets of 3 works, don't get me wrong, but there's more emphasis on that single 12 beat measure.) But that's why music is so fun - we can disagree over time signatures to the point of exhaustion. :wink: I can agree with that triplet idea when it comes to WITS however, particularly in examining the bass line.

7/8...it's a gas. Ugh, what a lame play on lyrics! It's my favourite time signature by far.

And just to get this thread back on topic, Bono is a windbag. :wink:

Yeah, I think Acrobat definitely has the stronger "three" feel to it. I don't think there can be any argument there that it's a 12/8 song. Window In the Skies is a bit more ... squishy, as we'd say at work.

I wonder if the people at Hal Leonard get into fistfights over stuff like this.

"You dumbass, the sheet music for "Window In the Skies" should be written in 4/4!"

"I'm not writing all those damn triplets, asshole. IT'S 12/8!!!!"

:wink:

I'm not a musician, so I guess my thoughts on this subject are a little different. I can see how a musician would look to the most musically complex, sophisticated work as being the 'best'. For myself, though, I feel like a song is something greater than the sum of its parts. I don't need each person up there showing off their mad skillz when it comes to their instrument and playing super-difficult, impressive pieces. I'd rather have a song that comes together in a way that moves me, even if that means simplicity within the individual elements. Just my POV, though.

GibsonGirl said:

You guys, I love it when threads turn into musical theory nerdfests. :flirt: This is one of the reasons why I still bother to visit Interference. That's an interesting view, that...12/8 being 4/4 plus triplets. I don't quite see it that way with Acrobat, due to the almost riff-like nature of that drum beat (i.e. the fact that it is one whole 12 beat measure that is repeated. Four sets of 3 works, don't get me wrong, but there's more emphasis on that single 12 beat measure.) But that's why music is so fun - we can disagree over time signatures to the point of exhaustion. :wink: I can agree with that triplet idea when it comes to WITS however, particularly in examining the bass line.

7/8...it's a gas. Ugh, what a lame play on lyrics! It's my favourite time signature by far.

And just to get this thread back on topic, Bono is a windbag. :wink:

Oh dear, maybe I should go back posting in Pleba 'cus yous have lost me with all this nerdy talk. :happy:

Ralphie said:
I'm not a musician, so I guess my thoughts on this subject are a little different. I can see how a musician would look to the most musically complex, sophisticated work as being the 'best'. For myself, though, I feel like a song is something greater than the sum of its parts. I don't need each person up there showing off their mad skillz when it comes to their instrument and playing super-difficult, impressive pieces. I'd rather have a song that comes together in a way that moves me, even if that means simplicity within the individual elements. Just my POV, though.

Well I think that's the beef some of us have with Larry. Songs can't reach thier potential because Larry's part brings down the whole. Having most of the songs in 4/4 puts more pressure on Edge and Adam. However, U2 can't work like that as Edge creates the soundscape and Adam has to give it structure. As Larry has done less and less, the other three have been forced to compensate. As Edge has become less experimental (thanks to Larry) the songs can't go anywhere. The way the band functions makes it impossible for Larry to be uncreative and simplistic.

I think we're basically agreeing here now - just minor quibbles at this point. I guess for my own sake of keeping things simple, I usually boil down time signatures to their most basic main beats. So 6/8 = 2 main beats, 12/8 = 4 main beats. Maybe that's because when I see any time signature ending in /8, it usually means it's going to be at least moderately fast and I'd like to keep things as simple in my head as possible. ;) Reminds me of my first public recital in college. I had to open the second half with a piece in 6/8 that was marked presto - metronome indications was 108 for each measure. That thing was a bear!

If you want some truly insane time sigs, look to indian music! That stuff is just insane.

Niamh_Saoirse said:

I'd be happy to oblige but I know nothing about music theory. :mad:

maybe corianderstem could whisper some hot 4/4 7/8 12 beat measures and some one-two-three thing and 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2... into your ear, and you could just recite it. for me :flirt:

corianderstem said:
: waits for Diemen's reaction at being lumped in with the "hot chicks" :

:hmm: Define "lumped in"

If it's "lumped in" as in "he's a hot chick," then :madwife:

But if it's "lumped in" as in "let's put him in between two hot chicks," then :flirt:

Diemen said:
Reminds me of my first public recital in college. I had to open the second half with a piece in 6/8 that was marked presto - metronome indications was 108 for each measure. That thing was a bear!

Ooh, what instrument did/do you play?

:hyper:

Me too! I'm sorely out of practice, but I think fondly back on my glory days of senior recitals and boatloads of accompanying.

I really, really, really want to start playing again. I just need a piano. :(

Ralphie said:

Oh I agree, I don't want U2 to suddenly explore wild time sigs just to say they can - that's just not who U2 are. But often a bit of musical sophistication can give a song (provided it's a solid song to begin with) that something special. I think Miami is saved by Adam and Larry's performance, for instance.

Ralphie said:

I can definitely see your point of view, as it's one that certainly applies to those of us who play instruments. Don't think that just because something is complex and musically challenging that it is any less emotional than a simplistic piece. The ultimate goal in any artform is to encourage emotion in the listener/viewer/reader. You can 'show off' (as you put it) yet still create music that is interesting and moving. Why settle for something that's just emotional when you could have something that's emotional and a complex thrill for the ears? I'm not saying that the simple stuff is of lesser quality. On the contrary, sometimes simple is better depending on the song. But to consistently put out simple, unchallenging stuff without introducing very much variety (ala U2 as of late) can be a bit boring. At least to me. And I find the emotion is starting to stretch a bit thin now as well. Compare Bono's emotion in Tomorrow to his emotion in SYCMIOYO. Both songs deal with the emotions surrounding the death of a parent, yet one feels more genuine than the other. True, it's difficult to compare Bono in his 20s to Bono in his 40s...but the fact remains that only the former moves me.

:hyper: piano talk! :hyper:

Digital pianos have come a looong way. I love mine - great touch and sound, and I never need to tune it. Though I haven't played in a few weeks now...

There are definitely some times that I reeeeally miss being in a music school. But then I remember the days of 5 hour practice sessions and I realize I'd have to quit working to do that kind of thing again. :lol:

I keep telling myself that one of these days I will own a Steinway. :drool:

[/derail]

Diemen said:

There are definitely some times that I reeeeally miss being in a music school. But then I remember the days of 5 hour practice sessions and I realize I'd have to quit working to do that kind of thing again.

I rarely did that. I was an unambitious music major. :wink:

I taught piano for a few years but am perfectly happy having music just be a beloved hobby.

Aaaaaanyway.

Are you planning on opening a roller skating rink?

"Next skate is an all skate!" (cue Hammond organ)

U2Man said:

maybe corianderstem could whisper some hot 4/4 7/8 12 beat measures and some one-two-three thing and 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2... into your ear, and you could just recite it. for me :flirt:

:laugh:

And to think I have a Fender guitar and brand new bass in the computer room gathering dust.

I should really start my bass lessons again. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom