I Hate Bono and Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
I don't know about Screwtape, but my biggest beef with Larry lately is that he seems to drum without inspiration. All Because Of You being the prime example of this. I have only sat in front of a drum kit a total of five times my entire life, and I'm fairly certain I could get the drumming to that song down pat in about 1/100th of the time I would need to master something like Rejoice. His beats have become very standard, even a bit dull. Of course, the main cause for this is that U2 typically write their songs around guitar riffs, not drums. In the early days, the drums seemed to have a more prominent role. Sometimes I think Edge and Bono just need to step back a bit and give Larry a bit of space to try something a bit more inventive, something a bit like the old days. And before someone replies with 'So you've been to a U2 recording session have you? :insertsarcasticeyebrowsmiley:' you need to look no further than the album liner notes to see that it's more Edge and Bono running the show than Adam and Larry.

I think if U2 really wanted to try something different, to push themselves into a direction they've never really explored before, incorporating different tempos and time signatures would be a good start. There's nothing wrong with doing something that's different. The most interesting U2 songs, I feel, are the ones that stray from the norm. How cool is it when Zooropa takes that 180 degree turn at the end of the song? Or when the drums come crashing in at the end of Tomorrow?

I don't know if it was in this thread or in the counter thread, but someone mentioned that if you're looking for creativity in a song, a drumkit isn't the place to find it in. I completely disagree with that. When the drumming is creative and when the rhythm is creative, the creativity in the other instruments usually follows through.

Anyway, this post is all irrelevant because it'll never happen. The singles/radio success-oriented U2 that we presently have aren't about to start messing with the traditional 4/4 song structure.

Exactly, The Who are a prime example of this. Keith would drum along to the guitar parts, not the rhythm section. Listen to A Quick One, While He's Away, and tell me that doesn't have some of the most stellar rock drumming you have ever heard.

The guys in U2 are Who fans, are they not? :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

I think if U2 really wanted to try something different, to push themselves into a direction they've never really explored before, incorporating different tempos and time signatures would be a good start. There's nothing wrong with doing something that's different. The most interesting U2 songs, I feel, are the ones that stray from the norm. How cool is it when Zooropa takes that 180 degree turn at the end of the song? Or when the drums come crashing in at the end of Tomorrow?

I don't know if it was in this thread or in the counter thread, but someone mentioned that if you're looking for creativity in a song, a drumkit isn't the place to find it in. I completely disagree with that. When the drumming is creative and when the rhythm is creative, the creativity in the other instruments usually follows through.

Again, your dead-on Gibsongirl. I think drums can be far more creative than guitars. Seriously, if you want to see the potential of drums listen to Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Utopia, Genesis or The Police. Then go listen to some jazz especially Bitch's Brew by Miles Davis.

As for U2, Larry has the capability of turning his drums into a soundscape. Take Exit for example. Larry's drums complete the song and add that extra sense of violence. I think Larry is at his best when his drums bait Bono to elevate his performance. Unfortunately, Larry hasn't done that in almost two decades.

On a different note, Phillyfan you keep saying that my reasons are in contradiction, explain why you think that.

ALass4Larry said:
So, the only thing I've really gotten out of this thread is that some people don't feel that Larry is entitled to an opinion about how songs/albums turn out and that he's a grumpy S.O.B.

Then you clearly haven't been reading very closely. I don't think I've once written about Larry's supposedly eternally grumpy attitude or what he thinks of U2's albums (though I did blast his music taste in general). I and others have, however, criticised his drumming style and contributions to U2's style post-RAH. Maybe you missed the lengthy posts people such as GG and myself have written.

SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

OH NOES CAPS LOCK OF TROOTH!!!

If it wasn't for him there would be no U2!

This argument is so tired and worn out that it's been in hibernation since last autumn. Great, Larry put up the notice that started the band. I'm glad he did. And he did some decent drumming in the eighties, especially on the first three albums. What on earth does any of that have to do with his post-RAH performances? Nothing. Just because he started the band doesn't mean he gets a free pass for being an unimaginative, uninteresting, unoriginal drummer for nearly two decades.

Screwtape2 said:

Again, your dead-on Gibsongirl. I think drums can be far more creative than guitars. Seriously, if you want to see the potential of drums listen to Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Utopia, Genesis or The Police. Then go listen to some jazz especially Bitch's Brew by Miles Davis.

As for U2, Larry has the capability of turning his drums into a soundscape. Take Exit for example. Larry's drums complete the song and add that extra sense of violence. I think Larry is at his best when his drums bait Bono to elevate his performance. Unfortunately, Larry hasn't done that in almost two decades.

On a different note, Phillyfan you keep saying that my reasons are in contradiction, explain why you think that.

Definitely agree with the Exit assessment. :up: In that song, Larry actually contributes to the whole mood of the song with his drumming. Imagine that! Contributing to the mood! Not just hitting his snare in time with the rest of the band! As we all know, the song is about a man who goes mad and shoots his wife. I've always thought that the frantic and angry snare/cymbal combination Larry uses at the end resembles gun shots going off again and again and again. It's very effective, and very creative.

Screwtape2 said:

You stated that U2 are a jam band and Larry can't jam.

How can you be a jam band with a drummer who can't jam? If the drummer can't jam, then they've never jammed, and they are not a jam band.

It's the equivalent of saying that U2 are a great live band but Adam sucks playing live. It's one or the other, but not both.

Axver said:
Just because he started the band doesn't mean he gets a free pass for being an unimaginative, uninteresting, unoriginal drummer for nearly two decades.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well said!!! even though I don't entirely agree with that assessment. Larry has shone periodically in the 90s.

phillyfan26 said:

How can you be a jam band with a drummer who can't jam? If the drummer can't jam, then they've never jammed, and they are not a jam band.

It's the equivalent of saying that U2 are a great live band but Adam sucks playing live. It's one or the other, but not both.

1. Larry used to jam. He can't anymore.
2. You can be both. U2 by nature have to "beat it out in a room" to make quality music. They don't have to jam by nature that is where there music will come from. So you can be both. Larry doesn't jam thus the band can't go to where the songs come from.

Screwtape2 said:

1. Larry used to jam. He can't anymore.
2. You can be both. U2 by nature have to "beat it out in a room" to make quality music. They don't have to jam by nature that is where there music will come from. So you can be both. Larry doesn't jam thus the band can't go to where the songs come from.

1. That's a completely acceptable explanation, although I don't agree with it, that would make sense. But...
2. That's just it. You cannot "beat it out in a room" without a full band to beat it out with!

phillyfan26 said:

2. That's just it. You cannot "beat it out in a room" without a full band to beat it out with!

Yeah you can, especially if one member's part is predictable, as many have noted Larry's drumming is now. It just means the result won't be very good. :shrug:

two things..........first, poor bono, he has been practically been ignored on this thread despite baring his name while larry has had the majority of the flak.

Secondly, Maybe the prob has been that the last two albums (coveing a period of about 8 yrs) have been pretty stripped down, back to basics, no frills albums and far from ground breaking. IMHO..... the whole band have been sub standard. Thats not to say i dont enjoy the offerings, just not as good as I had grown acustomed to over the years.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

Er, no. It's quite possible for the majority of the band to jam very well or to play well live but for one member to suck. Now, I don't think U2 ever was a jam band, but it would be quite possible for Bono, Edge, and Adam to jam around Larry even if he were the worst drummer on earth.

maybe larry gave up trying to be creative because edge and bono wanted to use drum loops during the beginning phases of making records.

Maybe age is catching up with Larry? It's one thing beat out those skins when you're 20-25, but another when you're past 40. I also wonder how much his wrist problem is affecting him as a player.

I absolutely HATE some things Bono does...
1. the Flag-thing before COBL :madspit:
2. these endless speeches during the concerts
3. hanging around with Bush.
4. dedicating songs to troupes
but I never could say I hate Bono - but the love for the Bono of our time has gone, a little bit...- only a little bit.

the Bono from exactly 20 years ago - during the Joshua Tree Tour - that was mine. :drool:

- Larry: not so interesting, but when I look what he did to the drums on WOWY in Rattle and Hum.:drool: He also had his best days a long time ago.

this place has seriously turned into the "anti-U2" forum

mind you, not so suprising to see some of the same names popping up.

more cowbells too

ntalwar said:
Larry needs to add some of these instruments to his percussion repertoire:

Definitely... and Larry needs a gong!

If anyone has listened to the Achtung Baby working tapes, I think we know that Bono is pretty much in charge... never heard a peep out of Larry or Adam... sounds like they do what they are told.
Bono [in kind of a patronizing voice]: "Adam, stand closer to Larry so you can hear the drums. You know the chords by now."

ntalwar said:
Larry needs to add some of these instruments to his percussion repertoire:

Those will just give Bono an excuse to scream 'AFRICA! AFRICA! AFRICA!' more often, and I don't know how much more of that we can take. :wink:

Really, bayou12780? I never noticed that before. Do you remember which song/outtake it was in? It has been absolutely ages since I've listened to them. But yeah, I don't think Larry and Adam get much of a say when it comes to the actual songwriting. That's why I say maybe Edge and Bono need to step back a bit sometimes and just let them have a go. I don't mean coming up with melodies or anything like that (Larry seems a tad tone-deaf judging by his Irish drinking song performances), just interesting beats and that sort of thing. And then build songs from there.

Axver said:
However, I also equally dislike it when drummers are so boring that in 30 years, only TWO songs are in other time signatures (with a couple of bars of non-4/4 cropping up elsewhere too). TWO. Out of nearly 200 songs! Would it kill Larry to actually introduce some diversity to his style? Or does he just not have the talent? Would he get lost if he tried 17/16, or perish the thought, 3/4?

what two songs are those?? :hmm:

Isn't WITS in 6/8?

Larry can't introduce any diversity if the songs are all written in 4/4, or 2/4. Don't blame the drummer, blame the composer(s)!

silvrlvr said:
Larry can't introduce any diversity if the songs are all written in 4/4, or 2/4. Don't blame the drummer, blame the composer(s)!
I was thinking the same thing

I'd reckon we all agree that Edge together with Bono do most of the song writing
so why would we blame larry for songs not being in 3/4, 9/16 or 27/34?

Larry is still trying what he always did
establishing what goes with the song rhytmically
I would argue he has only got better
and I could probably find some pro drummers who would agree (and I could also find as many pro drummers who would disagree probably)

this forum always suffers from the innovative virus though

Last edited:
i hate the fact that i always thought they were tall, especially Bono, and that image was ruined when i found out they were actually very short people. Well, i dont hate that but it sort of blew it for me. That said, i tend to follow Bono's latest hairstyle with guarded interest these days. Because we all know that if his hair is good then the album is going to be superb. But if the hair is flat, thinning, graying, or otherwise obscene or uncool then the music will suffer.

HTDAAB would have been so much better musically and spiritually if the following were true; Larry had kept his buzz cut therefore looking youthful and handsome. Or basically, if he didnt look like a greaseball for most of the tour. Bono had not tried to copy his Joshua Tree era hair style and either kept with the more conservative ATYCLB doo or the pre-ATYCLB sessions where he looked somewhat of a statesman with shades of rockstar. Either way both Larry and Bono both hindered an otherwise brilliant album with their atrocious hairstyles, and the songcraft suffered.

Back
Top Bottom