I Hate Bono and Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
In general, do you consider people who hate a band member or two any less of fans? Do you hate any members of U2? If so, do you consider yourself more of fan for being honest or less of one for not loving all members of that band?

tsk, tsk, tsk, you are a bad, bad fan and should be tied up and beaten. :mad: :hmm: ...actually that sounds like it could be fun. :wink:

I know this is mean, but hell most drummers are fairly disposable anyway, so I can't really see where hating Larry is that big of a problem to being a fan of the band. :shrug:

I would have a bigger problem myself despising a band's lead singer and still liking the band. I guess in some bands the vocals work as just another instrument in the mix, but for me they tend to be more important than the other instruments. So I think if I really actively disliked the person doing those vocals I would have a hard time enjoying the music. Because I know I tend to do this I try not to find out all that much about most of the musicians I like. For instance, I like many of Sinead O'Connor's songs, but I suspect I wouldn't like her very much. So I make sure not to learn much about her.

But I do think what it really boils down to is: if you think of yourself as a fan, then you are a fan, no matter what anyone else thinks.*

* if you kill a band member though, that fandom is revoked, even if you still think of yourself as a fan.

I don't think you can be a really big fan of the band if you hate a band member, because wouldnt that surely mean you hate a part of the band?

Re: Re: I Hate Bono and Larry

Axver said:
I don't just dislike carrots, I hate them.

What did the carrots ever do to you, huh?! Why can't you love and accept the carrots for who they are?

Just curious about these comments that Larry is 'holding the band back'? I'm wondering how people arrived at this conclusion, because it seems like we don't really know how the band comes up with their songs. They all argue about it in the studio, I'm sure, but we don't get a breakdown of who objected to what and who insisted on what.

I think you should maybe come back wen youve got to know larry and bono and then make such a statement. Then I might say you have a point.
I would say larry could smile a bit more and bono could do with shutting up now and again, but thats about it. Theres four strong components to u2, to blame one for dragging them in to the mud musically is vastly underestimating the other 3!
Think there is enuff shit going on in the world based on hatred with out turning on the hand that feeds you, so to speak

In the immortal words of Nigel Powers...

There are only two things I can't stand in this world.
People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

I hate DALLAS SCHOO!!!!

Damn Dallas Schoo to hell. I hate him I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!!!!!!!!!!!:madspit: I don't like his attitude the way he hands the guitars to Edge during live shows...

Die Dallas die!!!!

dietcokeofevil said:
I hate DALLAS SCHOO!!!!

Damn Dallas Schoo to hell. I hate him I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!!!!!!!!!!!:madspit: I don't like his attitude the way he hands the guitars to Edge during live shows...

Die Dallas die!!!!

:|

dietcokeofevil said:
I hate DALLAS SCHOO!!!!

Die Dallas die!!!!

I'm sorry my sarcasm detector is currently malfunctioning...

:hitsdetector: WORK DAMN YOU WORK!

The thing that's important to remember is that Bono and Larry are great checks on one another.

Larry helps keep Bono's U2 grandiose plans in reality without falling off the cliff while Bono keeps Larry playing drums.

They're good for each other.

Just look at Bono's "out of U2" moves compared to when he's in the band and Larry's voluminous contributions to music outside of U2.

bugo said:
You can be a fan of the band purely based on music. I myself think Bono can be a pretentious asswipe but The Edge is a Demi-God in my eyes.

I have a friend who practically prayed to Edge every night. Edge was the reason he started playing guitar. Edge's sound was the reason he got into U2. Edge was to my friend like Michael Jordan was to my 13-year-old self. Then he read 'U2 by U2.' Now he thinks Edge is a pretentious asswipe. :shrug:

Utoo said:

I have a friend who practically prayed to Edge every night. Edge was the reason he started playing guitar. Edge's sound was the reason he got into U2. Edge was to my friend like Michael Jordan was to my 13-year-old self. Then he read 'U2 by U2.' Now he thinks Edge is a pretentious asswipe. :shrug:

:lol:

Sometimes it's good not to know too much about one's idols.

Bono irritates the almighty crap out of me in terms of his persona and his actions outside of the band. But I still like the way he sings.

I'm lukewarm on Larry.

I like Edge and Adam lots, Edge the most.

But even though there are these discrepancies, it doesn't mean I feel any differently about the music.

I read U2 by U2, and I'm interested to know whether Larry really was held back by The Edge post-RAH or if he's exxagerating. I found that interesting from Axver's post and I remembered Larry saying something like, "I was looking for more to do, and Edge was saying, 'What less can you do?'"

I personally don't think drums could have ever played a major part in such a guitar-based band anyway, so I don't think Larry has held them back.

I don't dislike any of the band members. I think Bono and Edge have certainly done more for the band.

what about okra?
Don't understand all the Larry bashing. I don't think he has as much influence as everyone is giving him credit for. If he did, I think the band would be rocking more. Someone said checks and balances and I think that is what is going on. I think Larry and Adam counterbalance the other 2. If it weren't for that, I think Edge would have pulled them much further into the experimental mode (Captive & Passengers x 10) where Eno lives. Not what I would have wanted.

So thank god for Larry and Adam. I like all of them. They each have their strengths and weaknesses like all of us. They've lasted 30 years so there must be some strong chemistry there. I think that's more important than each individual's musical skills. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Screwtape2... Please explain what Larry did/does that makes you think he holds the band back. I
REALLY want to know. Thanks

Val said:
Screwtape2... Please explain what Larry did/does that makes you think he holds the band back. I
REALLY want to know. Thanks

Well, we've all heard the stories about Larry putting his foot down on the last two albums regarding experimentation. Edge and Bono apparently wanted to experiment a bit more and Larry was against this as he wanted 'more singles.' Something like that. And that could definitely be seen as holding the band back.

GibsonGirl said:

Well, we've all heard the stories about Larry putting his foot down on the last two albums regarding experimentation. Edge and Bono apparently wanted to experiment a bit more and Larry was against this as he wanted 'more singles.' Something like that. And that could definitely be seen as holding the band back.

I don't get it...he's the drummer. Who the fuck listens to drummers anyway? :huh: :wink:

Aside from the fact that I think way to many people are getting held up on the word "hate" in this thread and not just taking it perhaps as just a general dislike as I am, I have to say I pretty much agree completely with Axver. Until I joined this message board, I would on occasion forget who Larry and Adam even were, but that doesn't mean I didn't listen to as much U2 then as I do now, and I didn't like them any less then than I do do now. Just because I don't know certain facts about members of the band doesn't mean I can't like them, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

indra said:

I don't get it...he's the drummer. Who the fuck listens to drummers anyway? :huh: :wink:

Yeah, but Larry's a grumpy drummer. He hits things for a living. I'd be wary of him too.

Back
Top Bottom