I got on "Boots" this morning! (Single review)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not ruling out the possibility of two singles released within a couple of weeks at the most. U2 are a progressive band when it comes to releasing stuff (Ipod thing). They could do something Coldplayesque or BlocPartyesque with their single release methods....maybe U2.com will post the first single up for free download like Coldplay did with Violet Hill.....it worked a treat.

Yeah but Coldplay's records are hardly filled with songs that you know straight away will be hit singles. That's why they gave it away. People who buy singles other than fans of the band/artist want something exciting and you can hardly say Violet Hill falls into that category. Get On Your Boots will be downloaded, legally, by the truckload. It just has that feel to it. U2 don't need to pull that kind of stunt.

I think you all might be reading a bit too into that, it could just mean that two songs have been picked as the next two singles (GOYB + 2nd single) and that others would be decided later.

Agreed. There is no way the band who has gone 4.5 years without a new release, will just release two singles off this album.

I think you all might be reading a bit too into that, it could just mean that two songs have been picked as the next two singles (GOYB + 2nd single) and that others would be decided later.

Or maybe they're deciding between "Boots" and another song for lead off and the feedback they get this week from radio will help determine that. I've seen labels do that type of thing before.

Or maybe they're deciding between "Boots" and another song for lead off and the feedback they get this week from radio will help determine that. I've seen labels do that type of thing before.

U2 can probably put just about any song off the new album and have a decent response. Unless it's "WTF U2! vs. Awesomest ever" it will be the #1 download on iTunes.

Releasing to radio on the 19th leaves just 6 weeks until the album - so I imagine the single itself will be available to purchase much sooner than was the case with Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

bonovomitsv7.gif

How exciting!

:lol:

The wait is torture..I can't believe we haven't heard anything yet :scream:

The brilliant strategic thing with the free Violet Hill giveaway is that it was certainly not the most obvious or immediately appealing choice of single from VLVODAAHF, yet it raised awareness that new Coldplay material was on it's way, and it was the release of Viva La Vida, a more obvious and commercial first single, a week later, that really got people excited and willing to pay for a download of that particular single, and eventually the album.

That said, from what we have heard about GOYB, it does seem like the most obvious choice of first single, so this would differ from the Coldplay strategy.

I just feel we're gonna see something different about the releasing strategy for the first single(s) and/or the album proper in Feb.

It also sold something like 66 copies here in Canada, and hit #1. I believe it was the world record for the lowest selling number one.

I aint saying it was a smash hit but it wasn't like no one heard it. I mean, those 66 people who bought it undoubtedly played it for their friends! :wink:

Bono's voice was in good form but it didn't strike me as a super challenging song to sing, which is fine. It's not like the bridge in "Kite" or "Bad" or that huge note he holds in "Native Son" or anything like that. It's solid and it suits the feel of the song.

:hyper::hyper:

Well I do notice the very conspicuous electronic drum kit in that shot! Which fits in well with Adam's remarks in Q and the electronic drums and loops I heard in the mix this morning.

I like the pic too. Maybe a horizon pic for the back. Either way..:hyper:

That rawks, skott, you rock. Just caught up from being at work which kept interfering with my interference You made my day for sure.
Thanks bunches..:up::up:

I emailed the review I was given to the DJ's at KC's 96.5 The Buzz and Jason Ulanet, the Asst. Music Director and bass player/pianist for The Belated responded with this:

"I heard Get On Your Boots today.

Big disappointment, but also not a surprise. Sounds A LOT like Vertigo and Elevation."

That just totally ruined my buzz, no pun intended. :down:

Yeah, 96.5 the buzz, the station that still plays Nickelback and Staind songs from 2003. I wouldn't trust a word they say.

Radiohead has had a career post "CREEP" but you wouldn't know it from the DJs at 96.5 the buzz.

They wouldn't have any room for BOOTS anyway, it would cut into their "Nirvana Unplugged" airtime.

i confess, i had this dream last night of a U2 track with this amazing double-tap snare drum bit, very snappy drums....it was an odd dream cuz it ended just as I awoke from my sleep from the radio alarm.....

:hmm:

A friend I know that works in the industry, who has a friend with the song, said

They're under strict instructions not to play it for anyone unless authorized first by higher ups. I'd be shocked if it gets leaked out, and if it does, whoever is the leaker will be without a job the next day.

Just putting that out there...

A friend I know that works in the industry, who has a friend with the song, said

They're under strict instructions not to play it for anyone unless authorized first by higher ups. I'd be shocked if it gets leaked out, and if it does, whoever is the leaker will be without a job the next day.

:ohmy:

I'm sure someone has sacrificed for us in the past. We can help find them a job.. :sexywink:

Ha! I asked my friend if his friend would be willing to call me & just play it over the phone for me. No go. We even (jokingly) offered to flash him :giggle:

Skott - Did GOYB reveal itself in your 2 listens, or do you think this song will take multiple listens to really show itself?

Also, did listening to Beach Clip 3 before listening to the final version today change the experience for you at all?

QUESTION!

Compared to previous U2 first singles, how does this one compare? I am so desparate for information... and want to know where I should set my expectations... :hyper:

Yeah, I don't think we're gonna see a leak this time, which is disappointing for the single. But I actually kinda hope that the album doesn't leak (I probably won't be saying this in a month's time). But HTDAAB release day was pretty anti-climactic after having nearly memorized all the songs.

Back
Top Bottom