I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you dont like the ticket prices and dont want to save up the money to go...

DONT GO

as VertiGone said... it's once every FOUR years...save ONE dollar a day for those 4 years out of your life, and you'll have plenty of money for multiple U2 tickets between tours.

NoControl said:

Sad, very sad, indeed...

Yes, it's also sad that the awesome 60 inch plasma tv screen i saw at Circuit City the other day is $10,000. Maybe they could mark it down to $20 because i somehow feel i'm entitled to it.

MrBrau1 said:

I wasn't "squished". And wouldn't a "real" fan spend most of their time on their feet at such an event? Who sit's at a concert?

The point is, is that tickets are too high for the vast majority of fans. And it's not because of capitalism, it's because of greed and that's extremely sad for the fans that want to see them but can't. I know many of them and I'm one of them.

VertiGone said:

Yes, it's also sad that the awesome 60 inch plasma tv screen i saw at Circuit City the other day is $10,000. Maybe they could mark it down to $20 because i somehow feel i'm entitled to it.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Fans deserve to see the band if they want to and are able to if the show is not sold out. We aren't comparing products here. Jesus Christ.

NoControl said:

The point is, is that tickets are too high for the vast majority of fans. And it's not because of capitalism, it's because of greed and that's extremely sad for the fans that want to see them but can't. I know many of them and I'm one of them.

When you say "ticket prices are too high" do you mean ALL tickets, or only the $130 seats? You need to clarify. Some ticket prices are too high. Not all. $45 for the best seats in the house is not too much. No ther band does that. Nada. Why didn't U2 charge $100 for the floor seats?

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Some ticket prices are too high. Not all. $45 for the best seats in the house is not too much. No ther band does that. Nada.

The best seats are only 12% of the amount of tickets put on sale in the arenas, roughly. And it doesn't detract from the greed factor with their overall prices.

MrBrau1 said:

Some ticket prices are too high. Not all. $45 for the best seats in the house is not too much. No ther band does that. Nada. Why didn't U2 charge $100 for the floor seats?

It doesn't matter, they'll make their money with their overall prices.

You can't blame the band for the prices, what about the venues, ticketbastard, the promoters, so many things are a part of it. A band that big has a big road crew too. Most bands not nearly as big or as good as U2 are charging 35 bucks or more. Even the gymnastics show wants 35-85 per seat. My little girl wanted to go see Carly Patterson because the show is in town this weekend but that was too much. There are no more cheap tickets because everybody has their finger in the pie. It's all part of the business now.

HOWEVER, I don't understand why Seinfeld is worth 70 bucks a ticket. I know somebody who went to see him and I thought that was outrageous for a one man standup act with no set to speak of and no roadies, maybe a makeup lady or something.

Last edited:
NoControl said:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Fans deserve to see the band if they want to and are able to if the show is not sold out. We aren't comparing products here. Jesus Christ.

The stupidest thing i've heard is you bitch and moan about U2 being greedy and in it all for the money. Whether you like it or not, U2 is a product, as is every other entertainer alive when they go on tour or have a new album out. Welcome to reality, it sucks, but that's the way it is. Do i wish the ticket prices were cheaper, yes, who wouldn't, but by charging higher prices you push out the marginal fans and make sure the hard core fans get the tickets. Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world, you wouldn't have to pay over $75 for a silly concert ticket, but that's just the way it is unfortunately. It's not just U2 gauging fans, it's everyone. It's unfortunate, it really is.

StlElevation said:
so, you can't save a dollar a day for four years? Hell, a quarter of a year?

I shouldn't have to. And forgive me for spending my money on other things in life that happen to be a necessity.

It does matter. You've said U2 are greedy. Why would they let the most profitable seats sell at the cheapest price? That doesn't sound greedy. It contradicts your previous statements.

VertiGone said:

The stupidest thing i've heard is you bitch and moan about U2 being greedy and in it all for the money.

:up:

This entire thread is stupid. I can't believe what I'm reading in here...

VertiGone said:

The stupidest thing i've heard is you bitch and moan about U2 being greedy and in it all for the money. Whether you like it or not, U2 is a product, as is every other entertainer alive when they go on tour or have a new album out. Welcome to reality, it sucks, but that's the way it is. Do i wish the ticket prices were cheaper, yes, who wouldn't, but by charging higher prices you push out the marginal fans and make sure the hard core fans get the tickets. Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world, you wouldn't have to pay over $75 for a silly concert ticket, but that's just the way it is unfortunately. It's not just U2 gauging fans, it's everyone. It's unfortunate, it really is.

Relax VertiGone. This lady will try and tell you water isn't wet. Play with her.:wink:

VertiGone said:

No, the stupidest thing I've heard is every fan in this thread using every excuse in the book to defend U2's greed.

NoControl said:

I shouldn't have to. And forgive me for spending my money on other things in life that happen to be a necessity.

ONE DOLLAR a day... FOUR Quarters...

How do you expect to pay for the tickets if you dont save your money in one way or another?????? Any money spent at one point was saved.

even if you saved a QUARTER a day for the past 4 years you'd be able to attend multiple concerts. Get a freakng grip

MrBrau1 said:
It does matter. You've said U2 are greedy. Why would they let the most profitable seats sell at the cheapest price? That doesn't sound greedy. It contradicts your previous statements.

You're ignoring what I'm saying and what U2 is doing.

U2 is isn't the only band charging high ticket prices... the Stones, The Eagles, etc... come to mind off hand... a band of U2's stature are able to charge the amount they charge b/c of demand... IF the tix really high, then tickets in the $80- $130 range wouldn't be sold. However, U2 were able to have packed houses every night.

It would be an exemplary act if they were to charge really low ticket prices, but I don't blame them for milking their cash cow.

Either way, the issue about ticket prices being too high takes away from the previous discussion, though the talk of tix makes me wonder how much U2 will charge on this go around.

Last edited:
You haven't really said anything. U2 are greedy. They make music for money. Thats what you've said. Why would a band, who's only in it for $, charge $45 for the best/ most profitable seats in the house. Answer. Why?

I think U2's ticket prices have to do with the cost of putting on a show, the cost of paying their road crew, that stuff isn't cheap you know. That and Ticketmaster fees as well.. And not every ticket is over 100 dollars, so it's not like they're raking in big bucks. I am sure their tours gross a lot of money but it all doesn't go into the boys pockets.

The ZooTV tour came out of their own pocket.

No... I think they made a huge chunk of change from Elevation with the packed seats and the ticket prices being the way they were. There is no way that Elevation cost anything close to Zoo TV or Popmart. The setup was way simpler and its not like they employ a ton of backup musicians. I mean isn't the road, where the majority of bands make their money?

Last edited:
Yep. They made ALOT of $ off Elevation. But, for the upteenth time, why would a band, only in it for the $, charge $45 for the best/most profitable seats in the house?

(Users Browsing this Forum: popsadie, david, Basstrap, supermarket trolley, stagman, MrBrau1, U2Kitten, marik, hippy, shart1780, beli, Stryker395, TheSniper26, martin ohara, A_Wanderer, indra, brownda7, VertiGone, StlElevation)

looks like we'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out. unless he just suddenly turned his invisibility option on.

StlElevation said:
(Users Browsing this Forum: popsadie, david, Basstrap, supermarket trolley, stagman, MrBrau1, U2Kitten, marik, hippy, shart1780, beli, Stryker395, TheSniper26, martin ohara, A_Wanderer, indra, brownda7, VertiGone, StlElevation)

looks like we'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out. unless he just suddenly turned his invisibility option on.

It's amazing. Perfectly logical points are ignored. It must be a troll.

Last edited:
I'd just like to say that I've been reading these boards for almost a year now and I believe I have only posted once. Perhaps a couple more times but that's about it. However, I'm starting to find that I really like this place and that everyone around here is very nice. I know this sounds weird of me posting this on this thread, it's just that it felt like a good time start posting more often. I figure that since I come here so much to read what everyone else has to say, I might as well add in whatever I'm thinking as well. :wink:

Oh yeah...and one more thing to add. I can't wait for the new album and vertigo rocks! It's great to hear something new. In my opinion I don't think U2 have reached their creative peak just yet. The song is fun and it also has those subtle sounds from edge later on that just make me smile.

biff said:
ALCLB (sic) sounds just like Vertigo?! Are you listening to a different recording?
As to ticket prices, the prices they charged on the last tour were in line with and in some cases cheaper than other acts of their importance. $85 dollars got people into the heart (and that was in Canadian dollars). That was a very good deal.
(Are you sure you're not Jick in disguise?:wink: )

Mr. Brau, Sorry to repeat myself, but you might note that this person did not respond to this comment in any way. I wonder why?
A troll, or someone we already know? Who else would say that ATYCLB sounds "just like Vertigo"?
Well, maybe there are others as deliberately inflammatory. Thank goodness there aren't many!

Last edited:
biff said:

Mr. Brau, Sorry to repeat myself, but you might note that this person did not respond to this comment in any way. I wonder why?
A troll, or someone we already know? Who else would say that ATYCLB sounds "just like Vertigo"?
Well, maybe there are others as deliberately inflammatory. Thank goodness there aren't many!

You're right. She did't respond to any point, just said "that doesn't matter." Total fuckwit.

NoControl said:

Look, I'm totally aware of the fact that touring costs of lot of money but they still don't have to charge that much to make a profit. And charging ridiculous prices like they've been doing is wrong IMO. That's why they're now not any different from Madonna, etc.

Now I know you don't know what you're talking about.

On Madonna's recent tour, her CHEAPEST tickets were $100+ with the most expensive going for over $300. And this tour was in support of an album that sold horribly (making "Pop's" Platinum status look like a mega-hit). In other words, Madonna's cheapest tickets were U2's most expensive. Furthermore, about 3/4 of the tickets at each U2 show were $85 or less, with the best tickets a mere $45. This is just a slight increase from the $35 people paid during ZOO TV!!

For the biggest band in the world, U2's ticket prices were actually BELOW market value.

Also, it is IN YOUR OPINION that U2's music is no longer challenging. I argue that songs like "Stuck..." cannot be found on any other U2 album. And even with songs like "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", U2 is not repeating themselves, but rather exploring their own sound and reinvigorating it. How is this different from being influenced by the punk sound, gospel sound, techno sound, electronica sound and even country sound? U2 have always been inspired by other music - they were never horribly original, even from Day 1. What made them special is HOW they presented the music. Right now, U2's inspiration appears to be their own sounds that they explored almost 2 decades ago! And they aren't simply repeating these sounds - but revitalizing them, giving them a fresh new feeling for the new millennium.

In other words, I cannot agree with anything you wrote on this topic. This isn't to say I worship all U2 - I find a lot of their stuff poor. In fact, one of my least favorite U2 albums is "Joshua Tree" - an album most fans adore! I find that it's this album that U2 came the closest to matching expectations and "selling out" - not with ATYCLB. Just because ATYCLB saw U2 return to their OWN sound, it didn't guarantee it would be a hit. Additionally, after a decade of experimentation, I think U2 deserved to sound like U2!!

If you don't like the album, don't buy it.
If you don't like the ticket prices, don't buy them.

This band is and always will be bigger than this sort of discussion. The first time that I heard sellout, or that they had peaked and were going downhill was 1987 with The Joshua Tree.

My brother had been a harcore fan starting with the release of War. But when his band changed their sound, and had something like With or Without You, he thought that it was crap. When the band that he had seen at the Minneapolis Auditorium in 1985 played two sold-out shows at the three times as large St. Paul Civic Center in 1987, it was a sell-out.

This discussion will continue until the band stops making music. It's circular, and there is no right or wrong answer. If the band that you loved was the band that released Achtung Baby, then so be it. The band is organic, and will continue to evolve.

We are not the servants of U2, our wills broken and forced to obey those which control us. Instead, we have the choice to listen, the choice to attend their concerts, and the choice to like them as the rock stars they are.

And the crazy thing about it is, to quote the departed S. Bono, the beat goes on.

Amusing thread.

He's talking about two things here. Music and the motivation behind the music.

The music:

The music is subjective. However profound and innovative you thought Zooropa or the like was, or how bland you think ATYCLB or the like was is purely subjective.

As a musician, you should know, you make the music that YOU want to make. That's artisitic integrity, nothing more or less. You put the music on magnetic tape, and you either let people hear it or you don't. If they hear it and buy it, then you are SOLD. Any artist who makes money off of their "art" is a proverbial "sell-out", whether that is Britney Spears or "insert pretentious indie band here".

The motivation for the music, seems to be your contention. That u2 are making more digestable music so they can make more money. Which is ridiculous, but I'll try and play a long.

What MrBrau is trying to say, and you have bene ignoring is that U2 are making the music that THEY want to make. U2 have never made any bones about wanting to be the biggest and best band in the world. If they wanted the riches they wouldn't have wasted their entire 30's chopping down the Joshua Tree-ya know, their most brilliant success, moentarliy and otherwise.

So U2 wants to make tambla-motown, soul, basic song structures, they want to make their "Beatles" album. And they make it. Is it any great fucking surprise that people bought it?
That MTV and radio wanted to play it? These corporate entities have been praying for a decade for U2 to make something "safe" so they can themselves cash in on it.

U2 made the album that they wanted to make. They could have mimmicked the tones of the Joshua Tree, the Americana, roots rock, or even mimmicked any of their previous efforts if they really wanted to cash in.

U2 have always been a pop/rock band who INCORPORATES sounds, ideas etc and hardly INNOVATES at all. All of that 90's music had existed previously in other artists.

The genious of it was U2 to put their balls on the line to make music that wasn't proven to make them money. ATYCLB doesn't sound like their 80's stuff to me at all, with the expcetion of Walk On.

Don't paint U2 as something that they aren't or never were. They are a musical act. Who plays rock, in forms of all kinds, not all of them are disposable to the mainstream ear, not all of them even jncorporate anything inventive or innovative. They are just a good band, they make music, people buy it. They are a product. If come huge fucking billion dollar company prints up your music and promotes your music, then that my friend IS A PRODUCT.

But it's no different than any other music. The difference is in the perception. You have your idea of what you think U2 SHOULD be and then there is what they are.

I got over that a long time ago. I am a musician. I know that the bravest thing you can do is make a song and let people hear it and tear it to bits. And if they love it and buy it up and the corporate monster sucks it up and wants to playt it and promote it then I guess, it changed your intention?

No, but it sure does make you an easy target for pretentious music fans who don't yet see the full picture. Rush (I love them too) is a product to be sold. They are only 3 men making music. No matter how much you spin the dramatic changes in all of their albums, it's essentiall the exact same thing as U2.

Some people will love you. Some people will hate you.
The more people that love you, the more others will hate you.
Not because of what you are, but because of what they want you to be?

Ticket prices? Get some perspective. You pay $25 to see a band like Pearl Jam (oe whomever) because that's what their money machine sets that price at. There is artistic control in the music, do you think the mega-giant money hogging corpoartionw ill turn over their cash cow to "artistic control". No fucking way.

It seems to me, you just don't understand the motives in the music as much as you understand how much money they are making. I don't give a shit about it.

Do you think U2 wants to gouge fans by putting 6 different versions of Vertigo so their fans have to buy them all if they are a collector? Hell no. It's the LABEL. The LABEL. The LABEL.
The motivation for the people who own U2's music has nothing to do with their integrity.

U2 are making the music they want to make. Rock and roll. Nothing more or less. None of it was ever as 'innovative' as you think and it's certainly not "sell-out" as you seem to think.
It's just men making music.

And you as a musician, should know more than possibly someone who is not, once you make the music, and then let people hear it, you have no control over their reactions. And if they react well, you could repeat and repeat if you just wanted to sell sell sell.

But if you change? What does that say. U2 has always changed. Retrogressive to you or not, they have changed. They risk artistic failure just like any musician, you should know that. And the commercial aspect goes w/o saying, or it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom