I dunno guys, I'm quite digging Neon Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I've heard some opinions about this b-side. The majority kind of say "meh" but after about 10 listens I am getting to like it quite a bit.

I could really see this song as a lead-in to Streets on the next tour. Hell, they're even in the same key, though I think they play Streets tuned down a few frets now. But as I said, it would almost make sense as a short lead-in for Streets, and I wouldn't mind that at all.

I think it's a pleasant enough little throwaway. I haven't heard the Kraftwerk original, so I don't know if the song has any additional potential unrealized in this version.

I like both versions... Then again they are my two favourite bands. The thing i like most about this song is that it communicates an image of a city in the night (mainly Kraftwerks version does this for me).

If you wanna get into Kraftwerk, a tip is getting "The Man Machine" where Neonlights is one of the tracks. A great album.

I can imagine that Edge likes Kraftwerk, with their very minimalistic style, the songs are often built by a few layers, with a simple beat, and a melody which is floating above it all. They communicate much with little.

Last edited:
Falling in loveee with you...

Although it's not a rock song (0 guitars) I'm starting to falling in love with it :drool:

God bless Adam's bass lines haha

"God bless Adam's bass lines haha"

You bet. They made Zooropa one of my favourite albums, they hold the whole thing together.

Canadiens1160 said:
I've heard some opinions about this b-side. The majority kind of say "meh" but after about 10 listens I am getting to like it quite a bit.

I could really see this song as a lead-in to Streets on the next tour. Hell, they're even in the same key, though I think they play Streets tuned down a few frets now. But as I said, it would almost make sense as a short lead-in for Streets, and I wouldn't mind that at all.

I'm still rather meh on the song. I don't know, maybe I should just give it more of a chance. :shrug: I've only listened to it a couple of times. It's okay, but a B-side without a doubt. The thing I like about U2 B-sides is that some of them actually have the potential to be A-sides... Not "Neon Lights" though.

On a completely unrelated note, I love your username! Vive les Habs!

This was originally recorded in 2001 for a Kraftwerk tribute CD that never came to fruition.

Keep in mind this is an older recording and they were just looking for a home for the tune. A good b-side.

Thank you.

Hmmm... the song definitely isn't exciting. It's nice and relaxing though. I could definitely fall asleep to it (in a good way).

And to the person who said it's good cause it reminds you of the city, I agree!!! It reminds me of a city at night. All quiet and nice... ahhhh I think I'll take a walk downtown tonight!!! I love songs like this with so much atmosphere.

Last edited:
I'm totally geting into this song too. At first I didn't liked it much. But now I'm listening a lot to it. I really like that scratch with the delay Edge does on his guitar, gives the song a very cool feeling. Great cover, probably U2's second best (behind Won't Get Fooled Again :wink: )

Yep me too, didn't quite like it at first but its a grower and a real good choice for a b-side to Vertigo. Lovely bit of music and atmospheric.:wink:

I liked it from the beginning. Nothing spectacular, but nice and soothing none-the-less. It's a grower, no doubt.

Nice to know that it was for a Kraftwerk tribute, that makes sense, because I don't see U2 just covering this song to cover it, ya know?

typhoon said:
I think it's a pleasant enough little throwaway. I haven't heard the Kraftwerk original, so I don't know if the song has any additional potential unrealized in this version.

I don' like the original one ... but U2's version is :drool: IMO

Bono's voice is hypnotnic..

i thought typhoon had come back.

then i realized it was an ancient thread :(

I don't understand how people manage to bump such old threads. Do they go digging in the deepest depths of the forum? Or do they search for a particular song and dig up an old thread that way? I would dig up old threads to read but not post in them because that just confuses people.

Zootlesque said:
I don't understand how people manage to bump such old threads. Do they go digging in the deepest depths of the forum? Or do they search for a particular song and dig up an old thread that way? I would dig up old threads to read but not post in them because that just confuses people.

Maybe from the Similar Threads thing? :shrug:

C'mon Sicy! You gotta know that was an exception. I was just fascinated by the really really old threads and that's why I bumped it up. :angel:

As for the topic, never heard Neon Lights but would like to.

muralee_s@hotmail.com

Any kind soul out there? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom