I dont like BAD, is something wrong with me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, love the UF version but especially love the live versions - Live Aid, on the Making of UF doco video, anywhere! (Tho' to do the song justice, it's got to be 80's Bono)

No there is nothing wrong with you. I've never liked the song much. To me its always too U2, too stereotypical. Its almost like U2 is playing as a caricature of themselves. No surprises, no real craft outside of what they already know. Its too mediocre when compared to their catalog, maybe for a band like Coldplay it would be one of their greatest but not for U2.

Back in my box I go:reject:

Last edited:
Live Aid beats the bejeepers out of the album version. Great song anyway! And as others have said... no, there's nothing wrong with you just as there's nothing wrong with me for thinking that Stuck In A Moment (album version) is one of the biggest embarrassments of their career. :reject:

if the opening of the song doesnt at leats give you chills.... theres something weird about that. :(

i think its an excellent song live. look at the reaction it got during "live aid"....

I never thought BAD was anything special until I saw it was voted third place in a poll of the greatest U2 songs. Since then it has grown on me but it is not in my top 20.

just to say something different.

I don’t know if it’s your case, but from a perspective of someone that got into u2 through the last two albums where all the songs are potential hits formatted for radio air play, bad and some of the older stuff might be very hard to appreciate, once that these were songs ehhh … let’s say free of commercial demands.

If this is your case, please be patient with bad. It’s far from having the immediate impact of the new stuff but give it time and you will find one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music ever done.

Actually you've just hit on the head a kinda feeling I had myself. Does the music change for you, in its feel, its meaning, its sound, whatever, dependent on whether you "grew up" with U2, listened to them in the 80's (as I did from the early 80's) or if you're just listening to them now, and going backwards. It must make some difference to hearing them in THE CONTEXT of the times.
Just a thought.

Like a lot of songs (not just U2 songs) I didn't really get into Bad until a little while after I first heard it. At first I found all the 'A-tions' s a little bit annoying and I didn't really understand the lyrics.
HOWEVER... I've been listening to live versions lately, and they are beautiful.
And, I'm starting to get a little bit of insight into the lyrics now that i'm listening to the song more.

Still not my favourite song, but it has to be on their top 10 list of live songs.

I absolutely love the song, esp live. No, I don't think there's anything wrong with you b'c of it. [crossing fingers behind back] :wink:

I never liked the Unforgettable Fire version much. But then I heard the Wide Awake In America version and fell in love with it. Try that version and tell me what you think.

Takes guts to admit not liking a U2 song around here. I will respectfully disagree w/ you and say that Bad is fantastic. It's unique in that it doesn't follow a normal song structure and also clocks in at over 6 minutes where your typical radio song is 3 and a half to 4 minutes. But the melody that is created, the passion in it's vocals, and the pounding of drums all help to build this song to it's glorious climax. It's just beautiful to my ears and tugs on my heart. Not many non-U2 songs can do that to me.

But to each his own.

PS - The WAIA version is the best one to listen to.

TheRooster said:
No there is nothing wrong with you. I've never liked the song much. To me its always too U2, too stereotypical. Its almost like U2 is playing as a caricature of themselves. No surprises, no real craft outside of what they already know. Its too mediocre when compared to their catalog, maybe for a band like Coldplay it would be one of their greatest but not for U2.

Back in my box I go:reject:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about it being too stereotypical, caricature of themselves, no suprises, no craft outside what they already knew, etc. When it came out in 1984, it appeared on an album of stylistic changes for the band. Perhaps all that came after it would better fit into a craft they already knew; meaning that Bad was the prototype of many songs that came after it. As for the Coldplay comparison, well if you can't say anything nice......

Strange. I find the studio recording of Bad to be totally breathtaking, even moreso that SOME live versions, though most live versions are definitely better ala LIVE AID, Wide Awake in America, Rattle and Hum etc...

Anyway, this song to me just represents everything that is beautiful about U2 and their music. It's just perfect. On the studio version especially, hearing that very quiet opening riff come though the headset is simply mesmerizing. Bono's vocals are clear and calm, and the rhythm is just fine. but as the song gains momentum and reaches its climax I am taken to a completely different world.

I haven't experienced this song live first-hand yet, as last weeks Philly show was my first U2 concert ever, I'm really hoping to hear what is probably my favorite song ever live in October when I go back to Philly, with my first ever GA experience as well. Can't wait.

Umm sorry to double post, but I feel it's worth mentioning, for the sake of the original poster here that while Bad is my favorite song, I acctually find Acrobat rather dull.

:reject: sorry...

I like Bad, but find I have to be in the right mood to really love it. And along with many others, I greatly prefer any live version over the album version.

I think my favorite version is from the 8/28/93 Dublin show.

Listen,
I really think songs like Numb, Miami and Playboy Mansion trump Bad ok?:angry:

thank u

db9:wink:

and Stairway To Heaven by Zepplin could be easily replaced with Boogie With Stu.
what's wrong w you ppl anyway:sexywink:

Last edited:
bad is my all time favorite u2 song. i love it. especially the live version from wide awake in america.

when i'm at a u2 concert i even close my eyes during the song just to soak it all in.
i was actually sad that i didn't get to hear it played at all the 2 nites i was in chicago.

do yourself a favor and listen to the version from wide awake in america.
turn down the lights.
turn up the music loud.
and just close your eyes and listen to it :up:

Last edited:
The weird thing about "bad" is i couldn't say why I really like it. It never would have been a chart topper or anything like that but I think it is an amazing song.

Back
Top Bottom