I do not get some people!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
A couple of weeks back, while driving home from work one day I was listening to Achtung Baby in my car. Got home, saw my roommate and said "I've just been listening to the greatest album ever made". He asks which one and I tell him. Immediately he goes "It's not even U2's best!" :mad: This is one of those people who loved Joshua Tree & Rattle and Hum but got totally turned off by the Achtung concept. He says he didn't like the whole fly persona, puppets with the big heads, their making fun of themselves yada yada yada. So fucking what? They were having some fun for a change. Life is all about variety, isn't it? There are probably many people out there who got put off by the concept and missed out on some amazing and personal songs like So Cruel, Ultraviolet, Wild Horses, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness. :rant: Rant over.

their loss
Achtung Baby:rockon:

i also know a few people who love 80s U2 but were a bit put off by Achtung Baby/Zoo TV

Oh... forgot to add. I asked him if he has actually listened to the album all the way through or just made his judgement on the promos and the music videos. You know what he says? He says he bought it, listened to it a few times, didn't like it much and sold it back!!! Sold Achtung back? :banghead:

Zootlesque said:
Oh... forgot to add. I asked him if he has actually listened to the album all the way through or just made his judgement on the promos and the music videos. You know what he says? He says he bought it, listened to it a few times, didn't like it much and sold it back!!! Sold Achtung back? :banghead:

:banghead: :banghead:

Achtung Baby is indeed U2's greatest album ever.

But not everyone thinks that, and there's nothing to be done about it. Just accept that they like something else, and move on.

(does not want to see this thread turn ugly)

I didn't like Achtung Baby in the beginning, it was not the best U2 album and not the worst, something average.

But now I am totally in love with it after a few months, it's their greatest album, it needs time :)

RademR said:
its not u2's greatest album, its the greatest album period.

:up:

Oh, by the way this guy likes Henry Rollins' spoken word a lot. :uhoh: I guess it IS possible for someone to like the Joshua Tree and Rollins as well. :scratch:

Oh well, U2's done so much there are some people who don't like one thing or another. As long as they like something it's better than not liking them at all. The only people I don't get are the idiots who say they sound the same for 30 years :der:

AB is my favorite U2 album hands down. I have been into Zooropa a lot lately. I consider those 2 albums to be their 2 masterpieces. I like some songs a lot on JT, but for me the whole atmosphere created in AB and Zooropa is unbeatable!

Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby routinely make every list (magazines, fansites, music sites, VH1, MTV, etc.) in the top 10 greatest albums of all time.

Who am I to argue. Those who can't appreciate Achtung Baby are truely at a loss. I find, however, that a lot of people like to dismiss it by choice, rather than on merit. It's almost cool to not like U2 to some.

U2 is, and always has been, a "love em or hate em" band.

I never understood the need to have "JT people" and "AB people". I mean honestly, do the AB people dislike JT so much that they say things like AB blows it away? Personally if I have to choose, I'd take JT, but it's very close...I just don't see the need for a silly rivalry between fans of the same band, between 2 albums.

Zootlesque said:

Don't be too harsh on him.

Tell him that I sold my copy of JT back after a few listens - worst piece of crap I ever heard. :mad:

O.K., that's not true, but you can say that anyway. ;)

cmb737 said:
. It's almost cool to not like U2 to some.

........... of all the pathetic reasons not to like this great band, that is the worst one:madspit:

He says he bought it, listened to it a few times, didn't like it much and sold it back!!! Sold Achtung back

doctorwho said:
Tell him that I sold my copy of JT back after a few listens - worst piece of crap I ever heard.

:ohmy: :ohmy:

I just realized I've got a lot of CD's to sell, but none of them is from U2.

doctorwho, you scared the shit out of me with your post until I read the small print under it.. :lol:

I just can´t compare JT and AB. they´re so different and both so brilliant that it´s beyond my comprehension. I could´t choose between the two, honestly..

Yeah, it really depends on the mood. Sometimes I think the Joshua Tree is the greatest and sheer lyrical genius. But sometimes I'm definitely in an Achtung mood. But overall I think I prefer Achtung because...

Achtung had a JT element in traditional songs like One and Wild Horses. But JT didn't have an experimental AB element (of course I know it's not possible... still).

*sofia* said:
doctorwho, you scared the shit out of me with your post until I read the small print under it.. :lol:

I just can´t compare JT and AB. they´re so different and both so brilliant that it´s beyond my comprehension. I could´t choose between the two, honestly..

Yeah, it was a joke. :wink:

That said, while I loved JT in '87, barring "Streets", "Exit" and "One Tree Hill", the album hasn't aged well with me at all. It's down there amongst the lower half of my U2 albums. When I think of listening to U2, I almost never pick JT.

But hey, at least JT had a good run of a few years (although I always favored UF over it) and I still can appreciate its significance and influence. I didn't buy it, listen to it for a week and toss it aside because it was "different".

But then, music is ridiculously subjective. Some people are unable to get past their own biases - and this is true for me too.

Zootlesque said:

I bought Achtung Baby when it came out, listened to it several times, and sold it. I still haven't bought it again. It just didn't do anything for me. Of course, my musical tastes had kind of changed too, and I was listening to very little U2 anyway.

(guess you can add me to your list of people you don't get, Zootlesque. :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom