I concede

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is definitely Edge sining that verse. The way he sings certain notes gives it away. You can tell the difference in the voice since Bono sings the "the songs.." right after.

I think what people are hearing as different voices is the transfer from a low, almost monotone verse to a lift at the beginning of the chorus. I still think its Bono singing in a tone something like he did on Exit

I need to hear this on a really good stereo after it arrives. I've only listened on - not the greatest, but not the worst computer speaker's at the moment. or I'll have to listen with headphones
but I still think it's Bono..

Now it doesnt even sound like Bono after about 10 times listening to it lol

the songs probably weren't completely scrapped.

being in a band myself, i will say that it's scary to release a final version of a song, considering i'm always coming up with a new guitar part or vocal that i feel will sound better. at the same time, i'm glad my band takes the time to explore every option for every song before we master it. if we don't feel that one of our songs lives up to our full potential, we'll take all the time we need to make it right.

it's obvious, as painful as the wait was, that U2 took the necessary time to make this album the unbelievable album it is.

AtomicBono said:
What?! No, "God I need your help tonight" is undeniably Bono! Right?!?! someone back me up here!

God i need your help tonight is OBVIOUSLY Bono.

Larry sings on the ohhhh ahhhh ohhhhh ahhhhh (it's him with Bono) b4 the solo.

ZeroDude said:
it's the Edge keep listening to Miracle Drug then listen to Seconds and Numb then an answer you will find

Oh shite which lines does he sing on Seconds? I've been listening to that song for about 15 years and I've never thought about it :ohmy:

Edit: OK now after listening to it, it sounds like him for the whole first chorus and verse.:shocked:

Last edited:
It's not Edge on MD, I've no doubt in my mind about it, Edge is in the moment with a solo, you'll never have Edge doing that live and singing it, no way at all! and it makes no sense in having Bono sing the whole song apart from one verse for Edge to take it AND rip a solo at the same time, he's a talented lad, but not that talented!!! Just wait 'til you see it live.

Who am I kidding, this argument will go on forever even if people see it with their own eyes that it's Bono!

deltau922 said:

Oh shite which lines does he sing on Seconds? I've been listening to that song for about 15 years and I've never thought about it :ohmy:

Edit: OK now after listening to it, it sounds like him for the whole first chorus and verse.:shocked:

Sarcasm gets ya nowhere:wink:

I wish someone who was at the CD-UK performance where they actually played Miracle Drug would confirm how they did it there.

For me it's definately Edge on the album, no doubt about it.

Lo-Fi said:
It's not Edge on MD, I've no doubt in my mind about it, Edge is in the moment with a solo, you'll never have Edge doing that live and singing it, no way at all! and it makes no sense in having Bono sing the whole song apart from one verse for Edge to take it AND rip a solo at the same time, he's a talented lad, but not that talented!!! Just wait 'til you see it live.

Who am I kidding, this argument will go on forever even if people see it with their own eyes that it's Bono!
:( It's Edge!!!
And here is why it actually makes sense...

MD was inspired by that young man (I wish I could remember his name!) who was deprived of oxygen as a baby for a couple minutes during his birth. As a result he was confined to a wheel chair and he could not communicate. His mother undaunted, devoted herself to making sure that he would get an education by singing to him, reading to him etc. while never really knowing for certain (through a vocal or physical sign from him) if he could hear her, allthough she insists that in her heart she knew he could.. eventually a "miracle drug" was discovered that would enable him to move a muscle in his neck... he was given a devise that when attached to his forehead would enable to type. When this happened everyone around him was shocked by what came from him... apparently beautiful poetry... he would later go on to get a formal education (the young man was actually a genius!)

Anyway... Bono's verses are the mother's words, while Edge's section is the son's response... listen to the song again... :wink:

Lo-Fi said:

It's freaking Edge...He backs off the solo right when the vocal starts.

It's so obvious.:edge: :dance:

I think its..........

:adam:

He has fooled us all and has a singing voice made of gold. The tour will be called "Adam Finally Has A Mic Tour".

U2FAN4LIFE said:

Ahhh, sarcasm :banghead:

No sarcasm... just saying I think it is Bono singing the verse in question. I just read the original topic question and posted a response, without taking the time to wade through pages of responses. Unfortunately, mine fell right after yours, so I apologize for any harm I have done.

Last edited:
Dr_Macphisto said:

No sarcasm... just saying I think it is Bono singing the verse in question. I just read the original topic question and posted a response, without taking the time to wade through pages of responses. Unfortunately, mine fell right after yours, so I apologize for any harm I have done.

You've done no harm! :wave: this is a forum after all... I guess I'm frustrated because to me it seems so obvious that its Edge :(

i've listened to that part over and over again about 20 times... it's bono. and until i see documented proof otherwise... like a video with edge singing it... then i'm sticking with bono. forget listening to "seconds" or "van dieman" or whatever... just listen to the rest of the damned song... it sounds like how bono's singing the entire song. or is it the edge singing leads on the entire song? nuh uh... it's bono

it's in the eeee's... miiiiiiracle... the person singing the "eeeeeaaa" part in miracle is the exact same person who sings "i heeear your voice." so unless you're trying to tell me that edge sings the entire song, it's deffinetly bono.

Last edited:
People often bring up Seconds in these threads about Miracle Drug. Maybe this is obvious, but does everyone realize that Edge does not sing the whole thing?

Verse 1: Edge

Verse 2: Bono w/ Edge softly repeating in the background in a talking manner.

Verse 3: Edge and Bono together

I think all the choruses are both together but I would have to listen again. Maybe the first is only Edge. Don't have War with me.

Not that it matters, I think it is Edge in Mircale Drug.

Gosh... I thought I knew Edge's voice well. The thing is there are words that sound like Bono's in his scratch voice, but the one thing I can't get past is the word "noise"! That sounds so much like Edge... Hmmm, will this mystery ever be solved. Even if Edge sang it on the record there is no reason that he would sing it live. Hmmmm????

AtomicBono said:
What?! No, "God I need your help tonight" is undeniably Bono! Right?!?! someone back me up here!

Larry is credited with VOCALS in the official lyrics sheet that I downloaded off the internet.

2. Miracle Drug (3:53)
Lyrics by Bono, Produced by Steve Lillywhite, Additional production by Carl Glanville and Jacknife Lee, Piano and additional vocal by The Edge, Backing vocal by Bono and Larry Mullen, Synthesizers and Programming by Jacknife Lee

Back
Top Bottom