I can't believe this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badyouken

Acrobat
I was just re-thinking about the show in Montreal (once again!) and just remembered seeing a few people sitting down during the show. They were sitting down. Down. DOWN!

I can't believe this! How can you be sitting down at a U2 show! How can you still be in your seat during Edge's groovy glissendo during Mysterious Ways? Or during his solo in Bullet the Blue Sky (sorry Notre-Dame crowd, but we got Bullet, woohoo!)!?

And another thing, in the row in front of me was a little boy (maybe 11-12 years old) just staring everywhere without really enjoying the music. He seemed to be bored...

This is really sad.. Some people want to go to that show but can't while some 12 year old gets to go but stares at the spotlight guy up in the arena during the whole show...

At least his mother enjoyed the show!
wink.gif

A bizarre thing happened at my show. I was up in the stands. I always seem to be surrounded by people at concerts who are somewhat apathetic, which is probably why I never end up really cutting loose.
biggrin.gif
I always dance, though. So around me, I'd say a lot of people were standing for a lot of the show. But...during The Fly most people around me were sitting, except for a girl behind me who was dancing like me. The Fly??!! Ok, the Fly is actually not one of my top favourite U2 songs (though I like it more every time I listen to it.) But live it was just incredible, it was one of the best songs of the night. I wasn't surprised when my brother sat down, he's never liked that song. But it was just weird! I have to admit I sat down once, to rest my aching back...I forked out big bucks for those seats when I really wanted to be on the floor, might as well use them! But when I sat down it was during the Heston video before Bullet...and then I stood up again when they started the song. I don't feel very bad about that.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

you know, I could never understand people sitting down either, especially at a U2 concert.

I, too, always seem to sit next to fuddy duddys. YES, they are!!!! What is up with that??????

But don't let these people get you down. I say, dance the night away, Bady!

Sitting down during The Fly????? How is that possible??? The last song of the regular set, the semi-climax, the denoument?????

I will be up dancing continously, non-stop from Friday morning, Nov. 16 thru Monday, Nov. 19!!!!!!!

My sister and her husband went to the Lexington Show on the first leg. They like U2 but they are not huge fans like us. When I asked her how the show was, she said it was great, but she was pissed off that once the concert started, everyone stood up. She said that she paid good money for the seats and she wanted to be able to sit in them. LOL!!! She obviously doesn't get it. Oh well.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

What she didn't know was that she paid good money for the privilege of going to an incredible show in which people don't WANT to sit down. But to be fair, the show IS titled "Elevation", which doesn't sound like it refers to sitting down.

Some (mostly foolish
wink.gif
) people go to concerts just to idly watch and see what it's like. These types of people usually wind up at madonna shows or nsync shows and stuff with big huge production and costumes. they don't really go to a concert to FEEL, like I think most of us do. So they're getting what they want

then there are those people who just would rather sit than stand.. and if they aren't completely mad U2 fanatics, I suppose that's understandable.

But still... it is rather annoying!

This reminds me of a Billy Joel/Elton John show I saw in Kansas City last spring. It was one week after the U2 show in Denver. The BJ/EJ crowd was like night and day from U2. I got yelled at for standing only TWO SONGS IN!!! Two songs and everyone around me was ready to sit for the rest of the night. I'm sorry, I like Billy and Elton a lot, but their show had no feeling compared to U2. Sit at a broadway show, sit at an opera, sit at a symphony, but never sit at a rock show!!!!

(BTW, I love operas, symphonys, etc. so don't flame me for mentioning them. I'm just saying sitting at a rock show is like standing through an opera. It just ain't cool!!)

me and my friend starting yelling at people in front of us who were sitting. they only sat for a couple of songs though, so i didnt have to get mad at them for too long.

me and my friend had quite the experience. we also believed we witnessing an affair between a husband and wife and a drunken ass banji who kept on kissing the woman when the man got up to get something.

------------------
-death bear

Well, I'd like to take my friend who has cancer but unfortunately he'd NEED to sit down and then wouldn't be able to see the show. So don't be too quick to judge. The people you're talking about probably just weren't into it and it's understandable why that could be annoying to see, but you just never know what's going on with other people unless you're in their shoes.

The people who sit down at concerts just don't know how to have fun at the concerts. I was in the heart and I was so ... umm ... enthusiastic, that I was aching for three days afterwards. I could hardly walk! It was worth every minute though!

My mom said it must've been nice to have seats for the 16th in Chicago, cause then I could get to sit down.

rolleyes.gif

You don't sit at any concert, especially if it's U2 and they are THE band for you.

Mothers, lol

------------------
Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!!

~*April*~

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

I went to the Hamilton show with one of my friends and there were two people sitting next to us and they didn't seem to be enjoying the show (how that's possible, I have NO idea!) Anyways, about half way through, they got up and left!!! They just left! Even if you went to a concert where the band sucked, you payed money for the seats. Why would you leave. PLUS, this was U2!!!!!!!!

This is funny because although I didn't see many people sitting at Albany or Hartford, I did see a man directly in front of me sitting throughout the whole show at Albany. He was with his wife or girlfriend who was having a great time, dancing to EVERY song. He did not get out of his seat once, and was looking around like he was counting heads LOL! The best though, was when he pulled out his cell phone during 'Bullet' and made a call. (I couldn't even hear myself think, how could he possibly hear a voice on the other end of the phone?) He then proceeded to play a video game on the phone. It was so funny! At least it didn't seem to bother her, she just kept her groove on the whole time!
biggrin.gif

as much as I hate to admit it...people who sit down for reasons other than physical ailments make me wish U2 wasn't so popular and still played in clubs....

but then again, there's nothing like singing Pride with 50,000 people when you're in row 4 of the Horseshoe at Popmart
smile.gif

So I guess you gotta give a little and take what you can...but I still could've smacked the people next to me at Boston night 1 who just SUCKED as fans.......sat down, left early...god...just don't show up
mad.gif

whatever....provvie night 1 is gonna rock
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me.

How do these loosers get tickets!?!?! Those people who just left??? There would be people who would KILL to be there, and they just dont even care to experience the BEST concert of their lives? That just annoys me.
mad.gif

Personally, I only had seats once (2nd Toronto show) and the whole time i was thinking *oh how i would LOVE to be in the heart right now... they look like they are having so much fun... i should be there instead of here*
My best friend and I were sitting between some old folk who gave me dirty looks whenever I danced/jumped/showed entousiasm. The people on the other side were a PATHETIC case. They were sitting down, and Making out the WHOle time.. I wanted to tell them to get a room.
Who are these people, and WHY do they bother to go to a U2 concert? It boggles my mind.
confused.gif

One of the few bad aspects of being a fan of an immensely popular band like U2 is that a lot of the people who attend the shows aren't really fans. They're just going to the show because it's an "event" or in the case of an older band like U2, because their Mom took them.
This is doubly the case for an expensive show. There is just something about a show where the tickets cost $100 or more that brings out the "I paid a lot for this seat and I should be able to sit down and relax crowd." The more expensive the ticket the more prevelent that attitude is. The next time U2 go on tour (2005?) the tickets will probably cost $250-$400 and then you'll really see what I mean.

MAP

MAP

Everyone experiences music and concerts differently. Have your experience and allow others to have theirs. It doesn't have to look like yours. I've been to many concerts that I felt lukewarm about and so I wasn't into it as much as the harcore fans. That didn't meant that I didn't deserve to be there or that I didn't appreciate it. I think it's more shocking that some of you yelled at people for sitting than it is that some people felt like sitting.

I totally agree with you matthew page 2000, that comment directly relates to the elton john/billy joel comment I made earlier in this post. They sold most of the lower level and all of the floor seats for 175.00 and the crowd reflected that. It felt like a giant dinner party that ej/bj happened to be playing at. I hope that never happens to U2...

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
One of the few bad aspects of being a fan of an immensely popular band like U2 is that a lot of the people who attend the shows aren't really fans.
MAP
I think U2 is so popular because non fans are buying hugh lots of u2 cd`s.They just like good music.

Well to restate what my dear cousin Calluna said, yeah my cousin (her sister) sat through a U2 show. Calluna and I bemoaned this particular incident and wished we could have gone instead. My explaination is this: U2 is a very famous band yes?? But alot of people don't actually go out and buy the albums, they are only farmiliar with the songs on the radio. That is not to say these peopel don't like U2, they just simply haven't put alot of thought into it. Maybe they aren't listening as intently as we are or something, but as shocking as this mayh sound not everyone is as obsessed as we are. I still can't imagine sitting or being able to stand still during a U2 concert, but to each his own. I just write those people off as interested in U2, not fans.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.

Back
Top Bottom