I bought R&H today, so here is my review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
Actually, that's a different Gloria. He's singing Van Morrison's old '60s tune "Gloria," which is just a girl's name, not the Latin like the U2 tune.

no f*ck? i'll have to listen to that again.

i love that van morrison song, but that does not seem like it would fit *at all* on the end of a song about a religious madman. i could never quite make it out, so i figured it was some latin.

i need to listen to that again.:huh:

Hee! I don't think you were the only one confused by that!

I feel the need to go listen to it myself, now. Good stuff.

:drool:

I bought R&H in '96, it was my 1st U2 cd. Early on, Heartland and All I Want is You were my picks (9.5 or 10.0). Since then, Hawkmoon, Angel of Harlem, and When Love Comes to Town have joined them as personal favorites.

Pay attention to the lyrics in When Love Comes to Town. Remember in the movie, when Bono handed them to B.B. King? As he reads them he asks Bono "How old are you?" Bono says, "27". B.B. replies "That's heavy."

"You're mighty young to be writin' such heavy lyrics ... that's all right, young man!"

I remember being home sick from school the day the album came out ... I asked my mom to take my allowance money and buy it for me at the store when she was out running errands.

I may actually have faked being sick so I could get the album sooner. :wink:

Great to read all this!

R&H is pure class!
Heartland, All I want is you, Angel of Harlem, Hawkmoon 269!
Brilliant tunes

Still dont' know why the fuck the media sold it as an attempt of outplay the rock legends
Time has proved those assholes that thay were fucking wrong, because U2 would never do that, that kind of arrongance does not belong to them
U2 has kicked those assholes asses!
I want do we have left?
A brilliant and amazing album, that's what Rattle And Hum is

"I dont believe the devil, i dont believe his book, but the truth is not the same without the lies he made up"

Masterful lyrics from a genius songwriter!

I think a lot of the backlash was just one of those things that happens inevitably. Something/someone gets too big, too popular, there's going to be a backlash of some sort. It was just U2's time, I guess.

I think some of the backlash was warranted, even if it came from the same people that put them on the pedestal. Listening to the version of Bullet the Blue Sky, I can understand how that could come off as preachy. (the thing about them supposedly putting themselves on the same level as the greats in the film is ridiculous though)

anyway, I'm glad they got a healthy dose of criticism. It forced them to rethink what they were doing, leading to Achtung Baby :drool: :bow:

I somewhat took pride in the fact that the mainstream media blasted U2 for this album/movie, but I could appreciate the brilliance of the music.

R&H means alot to me, mostly because it was the first album I bought after JT. The reason it was so special was because JT had sucked me in, taking me from a melody loving popaholic, to really understanding what meaningful music was about (think going from Thriller to Mother of the Disappeared). Music meant so much more to me after JT, and I've always appreciated U2 for being that influence. I think it was because of that love for JT that the anticiaption for R&H was my first real "jones" session for music. I couldn't get enough of the band, and listened to all I could after JT, but I wanted new stuff, and R&H gave that. Simply put, I was amazed. Songs that I never thought I'd enjoy all the sudden sounded incredible to me. Lyrics became something I understood to be as, if not more, important than the music itself, and R&H offered some great songs. Honestly, I still consider Love Rescue Me as one of the best on the album.

Two things I remember from back in 88.

Memory #1: Listening to R&H the day it came out in my 76 Chevy Monte Carlo (more boat than car) on my way to work and back for a week straight. With so many songs on the album, it took a while to run through it a few times.

Memory #2: Me and my friend getting our buzz on before going and checking out the movie in the theaters. I probably wouldn't have remembered too much about that night, if not for the fact I had to change a fucking blowout on that same POS 76 Monte Carlo mentioned above. :lol: Anyone ever try changing a tire while buzzed? I think I dropped the car on my foot, but can't quite remember... :lol:

R&H brings back some good memories of some good times.

Last edited:
I remember seeing the movie in the theaters several times, the last time was at a second-run theater in a neighboring town. My dad drove my two cousins and I, and we were the only three people in the theater (my dad went next door to watch whatever other movie was playing). We rocked out. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom