I Became a Fan in 19-- (everyone please respond)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which year did you become a fan?

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 4 3.3%

Votes: 7 5.7%

Votes: 3 2.5%

Votes: 12 9.8%

Votes: 8 6.6%

Votes: 13 10.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 4.9%

Votes: 6 4.9%

Votes: 5 4.1%

Votes: 5 4.1%

Votes: 10 8.2%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
1983, when I saw the "Red Rocks" video on MTV. That absolutely knocked my socks off, and I bought my first U2 album (Under a Blood Red Sky) the next day, followed very shortly by "War", then UF when it came out, then......I was hooked......:lol:

This is complicated. I was introduced to U2 by my father when I was 5 in 1987. In the mid 90's my sister used to listen to some AB songs like One and Mysterious Ways and I liked them too. In 1997 I heard Discotheque on the radio and brought my 1st U2 album which was POP. Then I don't know why I completely forgot about that album and lost it :scream: . When I heard about U2 going on tour in 2001 I remembered them and was trying to find a way to see them. I became a fan when I saw them perform Beautiful Day at the 2001 Grammy Awards. I was totally blown away! I had to get ATYCLB and then I started getting their other albums and now I kick myself for not being a fan since way back.

1999, when I was 13/14 years old... That's the year when I know there's a band called U2 and started to love them.

MonaVox said:

[color=royal blue]WOW you remember the day? WHOA explain please!! :D[/color]

My parents let me pick out one CD through their music club. I wasn't big into music yet, so I didn't know what to pick...I saw a pic of JT and asked them if it was any good. My parents said they liked it...they had a copy of it on vinyl. So I ordered that CD, figuring my parents could have it if I didn't want it.

The CD came in the mail on Saturday, April 1, 1995...I remember it because after listening to that album, I looked at the calendar and made a mental note because I knew I wouldn't wanna forget the day I discovered U2!!! :)

Oh...and after I became a fan, my parents copy of JT on vinyl became mine (actually, Dad claims it was HIS copy that my mom gave away without his permission...*lol*...he's only half kiddin' though! ;))

Last edited:
1992-- when I was getting over my New Kids on the Block phase and realized that, at the age of 15, it was time to start listening to real music created by adults for adults.

[color=royal blue]Bonochick, that's so cool!! :D I wish I had a day/moment like that!! I just started hearing them on the radio a lot suddenly and realized I had their Best Of and never listened to it. Then I'm like OH I LIKE THESE GUYS. Research on the internet revealed that I had the biggest crush on Bono :) It all went from there.[/color]

MonaVox said:
[color=royal blue]Bonochick, that's so cool!! :D I wish I had a day/moment like that!! I just started hearing them on the radio a lot suddenly and realized I had their Best Of and never listened to it. Then I'm like OH I LIKE THESE GUYS. Research on the internet revealed that I had the biggest crush on Bono :) It all went from there.[/color]

And now PLEBA will never be the same because of it!!! :tongue: :tongue:

1997 for me too.

I bought the Pop cd after Discotheque got played to death on Much music. I missed the Popmart show in Edmonton because I wasn't a huge fan just then, but after a few months I was HUGE!!!

Good times after that.

LISE! Can you please tell me about the pic in your signature??? I have never seen that.....what's the story behind it? Is there more to the video??? That's so cute!

u2loopy said:

icon14.gif

Last edited:
Ok, Lise, I am not losing it but now your sig is different? I wanted to know about the pic with Bono dancing with a little girl....is that one of his daughters?

U2SJ said:
Ok, Lise, I am not losing it but now your sig is different? I wanted to know about the pic with Bono dancing with a little girl....is that one of his daughters?

Sorry about that I just changed it before I came here. The other one was from the Beautiful Day video in France which is available at U2.com I truly don't know who it is but the gals at PLEBA came to the conclusion that it's Bono's daughter Eve since it about fits the age she was in 2000. If anyone knows for sure please do tell.
Here's the image by the way..

Attachments

• a b day.gif
    a b day.gif
    224.3 KB · Views: 33
I have two dates, kind of. But I consider myself a fan from early June 1992. I just missed out on the three shows they did in sweden in mid-june. Felt it would be stupid to go to a show with a group you just discovered the previous week. I kick myself every day since that day I wasn't more spontanious. :scream:

I went and saw them 1993 instead and that's when I became fanatic and after that it has just gotten worse. :D

1997 - Freshman year in college, Pop had come out not too long before (my first U2 cd) and my roommate was a huge fan, and just by listening to his collection I became a huge fan (I think he got sick of me borrowing Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree to listen to). It only took a couple months but I turned into a bigger fan than him! :)

Well I put 2001, but it was kind of a cross between 2000 and 2001. In 2000 I heard BD on the radio, really liked it and bought the single. In January 2001 I got ATYCLB but didn't really listen to it much, in April 2001 I discovered what a fantastic album it really was and got tickets to see them in the summer, even though I had to get a rediculously overpriced ticket package, and in June 2001 I became mega-obsessed after buying AB and JT. It was cool, because I became really obsessed and then it dawned on me that I already had tickets to see them live! That was a really good feeling!

circa 1994

Between the nether years of Zoo TV and *POP*

I can't believe I missed Zoo TV by |<----->| much :scream:

bono-vox said:
i was aboot 11...the popmart tour...1996

Hmmm... this is interesting, as the "POPMart" tour started in April, 1997. I guess they held a special rehearsal concert for you in 1996. ;)

I first heard of U2 in 1983, when my friends chastised me for not having heard of "Sunday Bloody Sunday." I immediately purchased "War" and fell in love with "New Year's Day" - not realizing it was one of U2's biggest hits at the time. As such, I listed 1983.

However, my true fanaticism began in 1984 with "The Unforgettable Fire," which is still my favorite U2 album (although it's had some serious competition over the years - including from ATYCLB). It was "love at first listen" with the song "Pride" - my all time favorite rock song from any group ever.

Seventh grade - in the playground - my friend got this sticker of this "Christian-Rock" band U2 in a box of Post Cereal - he had an album or two - and he was cool. I thought "well, they must be cool then." Plus, I had about eight photos of the actual U2 plane from my grandfather.

This is how I come across all of my favorite bands...."Oh, you listen to them - they must be cool then."

I'd like to ask the person who answered the poll 1979 a few questions!

I became a U2 fan the first time I heard one of their songs. It was March or April of 1987 and I was in my dorm room at college one morning getting ready to go to class when "With or Without You" came on the radio. I thought it was the most beautiful, haunting thing I had ever heard in my life. I was hooked right then and there, and my love for U2 just kept growing as I heard more of their music and read about them in Rolling Stone and Time magazine.

Back
Top Bottom