I am LOVING Lemon right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
With my 1300th post, I thought I would say something constructive, well-thought out and above all...

something positive about 90's U2

But yes, I am loving Lemon right now. I don't know what it was...a week and a half ago I deemed it to be 6.5/10, now its somewhere in the 8s. It might have been watching the video...somehow it just all clicked.

The problem I had with it initially was that I could only hear Bono in four lines:
"slowly, slowly, slowly slipping under"
"I'm holding onto nothing"
"drifting, drifting, drifting from the shore"
"I'm swimming out to her"

I knew that the falsettos were Bono but I just couldn't recognise him. In the video it is MacPhisto (?) singing these falsettos. Seeing the facial expressions and the way MacPhisto moved his mouth when saying/singing "Lemon" and the other lines were just great. And I think that was the difference. Now when I listen to Lemon, I don't try and search for Bono's voice, because I have the picture of MacPhisto in my head. It's like they really are two completely different people, two different artists in their own right.

I also truly love The Edge and Brian Eno's verses. They just sound perfect, on top of the music, and contrast brilliantly with MacPhisto's verses. They aren't attempting to pull heart strings singing, they are just singing a mellow, flat vocal. They also contain terrific lyrics.

"A man dreams of leaving but he always stays behind,..."
"A man melts the sand so he can see the world outside,..."

That has become my favourite lyric, replacing numerous lines from One Tree Hill. That line, and many others, are just ingenius and the delievery is great.

And then we come to the chours. Again, its not your typical chorus. It isn't trying to come out strong, or just give the listener a feel of 'release' (like for example, when Bono sings 'stay' in Stay). The delievery is just a slow, soothing vocal which has great effect. It's just one line, repeated, and it is probably the most obvious lyric, but it just sounds so good, (Who is singing that line by the way?) especially combined with the piano.

Never before have I been able to listen repeatedly to a song which lasts almost seven minutes. It flys by instantly.

What I will say finally is I'm not trying to be a kiss ass here, I have just fallen in love with the song Lemon. I think this is because the song to me is just so intriguing. If I could sum up Lemon in one word, I would say intriguing (anyone else?). It never tries to build up any real momentum, but yet still sounds very good.

Grazie,

:wink:

Lemon is an amazing song, i love this song to death

i think its a very creative and shows the Versatility of this band and how different they can be, its also a big change to hear bono sing in falsetto during most of the song

sometimes people say the album track is too long, but how come something so brilliant be too long?? :wink:

"Lemon" is f***ing amazing! Who'd say that in 1993 U2 would go from there to disco-revivalism? And Bono's falsetto...:drool:

Just, as curiosity... doesn't "Lemon" reminds you of Dee Lite's "Groove Is In The Heart"? A few weeks ago, I was in a pub, that song started to play and it reminded me of "Lemon" because of the style, the percursion... Just a thought

I like Lemon a lot because there is a lot of angst underneath what appears at first to be a lighthearted and fluff song.

It's everyman.

Lemon is easily in my top 3 U2 songs ever. Probably my favorite song of theirs from the 90's. I can listen to it over and over again without getting sick of it. On my ipod I even have it so that right when the original ends on Zooropa, the Lemonade Remix begins. I should get the Perfecto Mix on there too, now that I think about it.

Lemoooonnn :drool:

coolian2 said:

I'll bite....

The falsetto should be used in moderation, as in Dirty Day. A whole song with it isn't working for me. I think had it been normally sung, it could've been much better. The guitar is unique, and The Edge/Eno parts are good, and the bass and the drums are catchy. But the falsetto killed the song.

(IMO)

COBL_04 said:
how good is the video? :drool:

Very good. All the Zooropa videos are fantastic, probably the best album for videos. Wait till you see Lemon on the ZooTV DVD, it'll make you love it up another level.

I nominate this as Thread of the Week.

Lemon is awesome.

phillyfan26 said:

The falsetto should be used in moderation, as in Dirty Day. A whole song with it isn't working for me. I think had it been normally sung, it could've been much better. The guitar is unique, and The Edge/Eno parts are good, and the bass and the drums are catchy. But the falsetto killed the song.
(IMO)

Fair enough. I really like the falsetto, especially how Bonos voice drops to a more normal range in the slowly slowy slipping under part.

Vocal sex (er)

Earnie Shavers said:

Very good. All the Zooropa videos are fantastic, probably the best album for videos. Wait till you see Lemon on the ZooTV DVD, it'll make you love it up another level.

I nominate this as Thread of the Week.

Lemon is awesome.

I totally agree! The Sydney performance is truly jaw-dropping, particularly for a Macphisto fan like COBL_04.

Lemon IS awesome. :up:

I had my school formal last night but I was like 50 times for excited about the ZooTV DVD than the formal. 'Cept the limo was cool.

What Zooropa songs are played on the DVD? I know Lemon, DGPFYCC are, any others?

Numb, Stay (Faraway, So Close!), Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Lemon

In that order :wink: with other songs inbetween, of course.

Hey neat, I just spent my 2000th post being informative :applaud:

david said:
my favorite song lyrics ever

'midnight is where the day begins' - i love that, especially as I'm someone that never sleeps :lol:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I never sleep either, but I prefer "She hasn't been to bed in a week, she'll be dead soon, then she'll sleep" :wink:

:lol: okay that ones better I agree! (but the lemon one is still pretty good..)

Back
Top Bottom