I am hitting a note a man of my age shouldn’t be hitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Guy

Refugee
I am hitting a note a man of my age shouldn’t be hitting,’ he says. ‘I don’t know what’s happened to me. I have a different voice. Where did that come from?’

hehehe

some reviews say his voice sounds wonderful, others say it's not so good anymore - that he doesn't have the range anymore & sounds rather low on the cd. We shall see in a few weeks anyway.

Wait, am I the only one who has heard Bono nail the "I can FEEEEEEL" line in vertigo? The man has not lost it. He might not have quite the power he once did, but he's close.

And the cracking and the sadness he does in songs like In a little while are done on purpose. He's going for an aging soul singer approach, because he can do that now. I think it sounds a little forced and it sounds the same as when he does crack on accident, so he needs to be careful how much he pulls it out.

I think he's back (or close) to the Rattle and Hum days.

He is much much better than on ATYCLB.

U2_Guy said:

Agree, U2_Guy. I can't explain it, but there are something there. He's better now than Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation - even though i never felt there was anything wrong.

Bono's voice is not (nor will it ever be) what it was. Age, smoking, partying, and the type of singing he does have had some effect on that.

That said, his voice is still strong and has something his 'old voice' never had, a good amount of character. He may be scratchier, may crack a bit when going for some of the higher notes he used to be able to sing in some songs, but it works. It's Bono, damn it!

I think the "I Can Feel" Line in Vertigo is him at his best - he nailed it. I hope it's that good live !:drool:

to be technical, the highest note in vertigo is a FULL step above the highest note in the recorded with or without you and wtsthnn, and a half step above the highest note in i still haven't found. pretty impressive...

Bono said that after his father death he was walking and speaking like him.

He also said the album should be called "How to dismantle an atomic Bob"...

Maybe Bono is trying to sound a bit like his father... :shrug:

U2_Guy said:

I believe this is a "fact." :wink:

I really noticed an improvement with the Electrical Storm single. He is singing really well these days.

blindinglights said:
to be technical, the highest note in vertigo is a FULL step above the highest note in the recorded with or without you and wtsthnn, and a half step above the highest note in i still haven't found. pretty impressive...

That is VERY impressive....wasn't it true that when Bono recorded "I Still Haven't" that he was singing at the top of his range at the time?

Rafiennes said:
Bono's voice is not (nor will it ever be) what it was. Age, smoking, partying, and the type of singing he does have had some effect on that.

That said, his voice is still strong and has something his 'old voice' never had, a good amount of character. He may be scratchier, may crack a bit when going for some of the higher notes he used to be able to sing in some songs, but it works. It's Bono, damn it!

:up:

well put

that's true starsgoblue, but "the top of his range" spans some notes. pretty much his absolute highest note is in the recorded version of bad which is a full step above vertigo and new year's day(same high note).

blindinglights said:
that's true starsgoblue, but "the top of his range" spans some notes. pretty much his absolute highest note is in the recorded version of bad which is a full step above vertigo and new year's day(same high note).

When he sings, "wide awake"? That's really interesting, thanks for the factoid.

blindinglights said:
pretty much his absolute highest note is in the recorded version of bad

Isn't Red Hill Mining Town meant to be incredibly high as well, hence why Bono could not sing it live?

(I have no clue about music. I couldn't pick a note if I tried. Forgive the ignorance.)

yep, when he sings wide awake.
red hill mining town is also extremely high (in between vertigo and bad) so that could definitely be a discourager from singing it live. he could always lower the key, like they do to many songs including bad, to make it easier for him in the long term but i guess for whatever reason he doesn't want to sing that song live.

To me more impressive than the Band Aid line was his middle, soaring vocal for Clannad's "In a Lifetime."

And, yes, his Vertigo singing (even live) is amazing. I wonder how good it would be if he quit smoking.

If this a debate to try and prove that Bono can get his voice higher and higher, I doubt anyone participating in favor of Bono has listened to "Lemon".

He hit a note live during the Elevation concert at Notre Dame 10/10/01 that made my scalp tingle. I had no idea he could hit anything like that. I remember saying, "Oh, yeah!" Now, I don' t remember what song! (Old age will do this to you as well ..) I'll have to get the CD out and give it a listen.

swandiver said:
He hit a note live during the Elevation concert at Notre Dame 10/10/01 that made my scalp tingle. I had no idea he could hit anything like that. I remember saying, "Oh, yeah!" Now, I don' t remember what song! (Old age will do this to you as well ..) I'll have to get the CD out and give it a listen.

Same at Earl's Court, 'Bad', vocally, was as good as it has ever been. For me personally it was the best too.

ZigZag said:
If this a debate to try and prove that Bono can get his voice higher and higher, I doubt anyone participating in favor of Bono has listened to "Lemon".

Lemon is falsetto. When one dominates the falsetto technique its easy. It doesnt demand much.

Its the full voice thats hard to get high notes...

Bono IS the best singer EVER.

Period

Bono sounds amazing during Vertigo. I've also been listening to City of Blinding Lights (BBC version) and he sounds excellent on that. Does anyone know if he had any operations since the Elevation tour? I know he had one before the tour. I also felt, Bono sounded better on the Elevation tour than on ATYCLB.

I have to say this is another over-analysed subject. The 'things aren't as good as they were' threads seems to act like magnets on this forum. Some things aren't going to change and some things will change so can we stop stewing over all this pessimism? At least let's wait until we've HEARD the long awaited new U2 album !!

And i have to say that it's the great, the strange and the mediocre that makes U2 the band that I love. If I wanted banality I would follow Bon Jovi.

edit: maybe this should be in a different thread - bollocks I'll leave it here :)

Last edited:
Bono's falsetto technique second to none while we're on the subject. His take on Can't help falling in Love on the Zoo TV tour was jaw dropping.

tkramer said:
Bono's falsetto technique second to none while we're on the subject. His take on Can't help falling in Love on the Zoo TV tour was jaw dropping.

Like i said, Bono's the best singer ever.

Back
Top Bottom