I am going to buy every album U2 have released. Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palace_Hero

Refugee, Note: Troll-like
The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference.
I am going to purchase each studio release by U2 to start a collection. All my U2 CD's from the past are a bit damaged or such. I want a complete collection.. I'm a perfectionist. So starting next payday, I'm going to JB Hi Fi to start buying. Hut Dab is first, though I might get that tomorrow.

What I want you to help me with, is what order should I buy? Chronological, reverse chron.. theres alot of ways.

Keep in mind I own ok versions of Pop, JT and ATYCLB (Though I will repurchase each, but probably shouldn't till the end).

Boy
October
War
UABRS
The Unforgettable Fire
WAIA
The Joshua Tree
Rattle & Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
ATYCLB
Hut Dab

This isn't necessarily a popularity contest!

1st album i got was zooropa, do it as they come to you in your mind..........

It's up to you what order you buy them in, but I bought the albums in this order:

All That You Can't Leave Behind
Best of 1980-1990
Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop (all at once)
The Joshua Tree
Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire (all at once)
Rattle and Hum, UABRS (at once)
Wide Awake In America
Passengers
Best of 1990-2000
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Last edited:
If I were you, which I'm not, and considering what you state above, I would buy in this order:

1. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
2. War
3. Under a Blood Red Sky
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Wide Awake in America
6. Achtung Baby
7. Rattle & Hum
8. Zooropa
9. Boy
10. October
11. The Joshua Tree
12. Pop
13. All That You Can't Leave Behind

If I were you I would start at the beginning and only buy one album a month. Learn the album, love it or hate it, but let it wash over you. Take time to figure it out. Then let the boys suprise you with the new album.

Right before you listen to the new album listen to the previous one all the way through. Good stuff.

I hated the Fly when it first came out. Now AB is my favorite album ever. Wait until the first time you are listening to R&H all the way through and then put in AB right afterwords. You will feel like you walked into a strangers bedroom.

Dalton said:
If I were you I would start at the beginning and only buy one album a month. Learn the album, love it or hate it, but let it wash over you. Take time to figure it out. Then let the boys suprise you with the new album.

Right before you listen to the new album listen to the previous one all the way through. Good stuff.

I hated the Fly when it first came out. Now AB is my favorite album ever. Wait until the first time you are listening to R&H all the way through and then put in AB right afterwords. You will feel like you walked into a strangers bedroom.

Palace_Hero said:
I'm a perfectionist.

hmmm... how much of a perfectionist???

just every album or.... EVERY album in EVERY format in EVERY country ever relased!!!!!

now theres a challenge for you (admittedly an expensive one!)
:lol:

this is the order i bought all my u2 albums (im just doing the major studio albums) back in 2000. And by the end of that time I was a hardcore u2 fan, so maybe this will work for you. hwo knows

1. ATYCLB
2. Best of 80-90 (just because i was new to u2)
3. Joshua Tree
4. War
5. Rattle and Hum
6. Achtung Baby
7. Zooropa and UF at same time (how confused was I? haha.)
8. Boy and October (better combo than last one, lol)
9. POP (or was this one before number 8, sorry, dont remember)
10. Best of (90-00)
11.HTDAAB

besides that add in all the singles, bootlegs, soudntracks, side-projects and what-not in there somewhere.

saltwaterkiss26 said:

:confused: $150 for 400 songs seems awfully cheap to me... If all 14 (or however many you buy) albums are $10 - $20...

Well, you have to factor in that he may need to buy an iPod too.

So if he gets the U2-themed iPod and the 400 songs, and uses the coupon, that's still $450 (U2-themed iPod is $349 + $150 for the box set - $50 for coupon). This is definitely more than just buying the CD's.

Now, if he already has an iPod, then the digital box set is definitely the way to go and most likely cheaper. Plus, he gets all the b-sides and remixes this way too.

Last edited:
I would do one of two things:

A) buy them, and then subsequently listen to them, in chronological order. U2's transformation is a big part of what makes them great. Hear it.

B) buy them in "lumps" based on what goes together in terms of an era. for example:

Boy/October
War/Under A Blood Red Sky
The Unforgettable Fire/Wide Awake In America
The Joshua Tree/Rattle And Hum
Achtung Baby/Zooropa
Passengers/Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind/How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

save the best of's for last.

but DON"T buy the itunes deal. you get inferior quality mp3's from them. itunes is best served for "hit and miss" songs. stuff you like but would never buy the album for. give it a few days and the "rare" U2 stuff from itunes will be everywhere anyway. if you're going to spend $150, buy the real deal with the real artwork, etc.

just my opinion,
james

Last edited:
The Itunes option is not an option. Hes Australian. There is no Itunes store in Australia :crack:

Palace, I would watch some of the online stores like sanity.com.au as they different albums on special at different times. Start with whatevers on special now :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom